My "Installer"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bullring79

Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I was installing a multi-switch yesterday and after climbing the ladder to run the 4th cable from the dish I notice a few things that might explain my frequent rain-fade issues. First of all the LNB wasnt attached to the arm. The only thing holding it in was the cable tension pulling down on it. The cables themselves were held to the mast with the grounding wire from one of them. Also, all the cable fittings werent even finger-tight. "Finger-loose" is more like it. And finally, the mast itself was only bolted to the house using 2 bolts, both on the same side of the mounting plate. Frankly, I guess I'm lucky I ever had any kind of a signal!

Take detailed photos; post here along with the contractors name and/or company name; and complain to DirecTV and the BBB. Everything to help rid the industry of people like that and help future people from getting the same.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Take detailed photos; post here along with the contractors name and/or company name; and complain to DirecTV and the BBB. Everything to help rid the industry of people like that and help future people from getting the same.

The only person he should share that information with is DirecTV.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've seen an install like that recently 30 pound dish was mounted with 2 bolts. I have no idea why would anybody do something like that. Only reason I can see is somebody has no life and just would do this on purpose being mad at customers or whatever his deal is. As an installer can tell you it takes seconds to put 2 more bolts and dish is already 90% more secure.

Nothing wrong with sharing personal experience and posting photos and info. Guy did a bad job and got full payment for that. His bad job hurt customer. It hurts us good installers because we get bad names. So why be so protective of him Grydlok?

grydlok said:
The only person he should share that information with is DirecTV.
I don't believe DirecTV really cares. I see that exact kind of slop several times a week. The average installer in my area installs for Direct for 4-6 weeks and then moves on to another field (like McDonalds.) Direct is the one calling the shots - They allow the HSP's to pay low wages and treat their guys like a replaceable commodity. This is how they have chosen to run their business and we can't change it.

Well, I cant take any pics now because I already fixed it. Wish I would have thought of that before. I will still call DirecTv though and let them know. Funny thing is I was going to do it myself since I used to do it for RadioShack many years ago in college. I figured since it was free what the heck, let them.

Bullring79 said:
Well, I cant take any pics now because I already fixed it. Wish I would have thought of that before. I will still call DirecTv though and let them know. Funny thing is I was going to do it myself since I used to do it for RadioShack many years ago in college. I figured since it was free what the heck, let them.

So who was your install company? And area?

charper1 said:
So who was your install company? And area?
I dont know who the company was, it said D* on the shirt. He seemed cool while talking to him. I didnt want to lay my install experience on him, but probably should have, obviously. I did all the inside hookups, no problems. I think he was just in a hurry.

Hrm. Well, if he was a subcontractor, then he's ALWAYS in a hurry. If he's an employee, then he should NEVER be in a hurry. ;)

I'm a sub for E* and I can sure as heck tell you, I don't want to spend another MILLI second at a house that I don't have to. I'm paid by the job, not the hour. But what that translates into is that EVERYTHING I do is done VERY well, the FIRST TIME. Because it's waaaaaayyyyy better to spend 1 and 1/2 hours at a house doing it right the first time than to spend 1 hour doing it wrong and come back out two days later to spend the last 1/2 hour doing it right.

So don't cut a guy any slack for being in a hurry. At least... not THAT much slack. TWO bolts?!?! :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts