My mini 'Antenna Farm'

Splicer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Just thought I'd post my alternative to a rotor...This was considerably less expensive than a rotor and works very well...No waiting for a rotor to turn the antenna...;) I now reliably (so far) get every available OTA channel available to me that I care about receiving...This comes in super handy when in my DMA a home football game is blacked out :rant:due to lack of ticket sales like tonights game...Granted it is pre-season but it is still football...;) Well checking the listings I see the game IS on in another cities DMA...Gotta love it!!!:cool:

I just got the antennas situated this afternoon...I initially used a balun for each 4bay antenna going to a 2/w splitter used as a combiner (and cutting my signal strength in half:() ad connected to the UHF side of my existing UVSJ...This made a mess on the mast...I had too many connection points that just weren't necessary in my opinion and I had questionable reception on 2 channels with 1 being ALOT worse than the other...

Today I removed 1 balun, the splitter/combiner. and 2 jumpers that ultimately wern't needed...I instead joined the antennas using a length of cat5e cable that I put fork connectors on after taking the 8 wires and joining them 4 wires per side to make 2 wires on either end...Connected to the antenna with no balun and ran it up the mast and connected to the connecton posts the balun was connected to and VOILA! I was back to my original signal strength from the primary antenna and the new antenna had added power for the secondary city reception...

While this may not work for everyone it has worked wonderfully for me (so far;) ) and may work for others that read this...So I now have a mini 'antenna farm' on my roof on one 10 foot mast...

Attachments

• Antenna 'Farm' 001.jpg
    Antenna 'Farm' 001.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 274
  • Antenna 'Farm' 002.jpg
    Antenna 'Farm' 002.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 421
  • Antenna 'Farm' 003.jpg
    Antenna 'Farm' 003.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 227
That is pretty cool. I've been playing with the idea of setting up two 2-bay bowties at 90°, too, but not crazy about the trial-and-error part of joining the signals. Good work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts