My new service with Dish Network after leaving Directv.

priester68

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Natchez, MS
So for those of you thinking about switching from Directv to Dish, here's my 2 cents worth after my first 3 days of service.

Installers showed up on time. Had the right equipment. No complaining and had me hooked up in no time. They didn't explain to me that I would not be getting my locals in HD due to LOS issue. After I called Dish back they sent them back to put up a single (smaller) dish just for my locals in HD.

The Dish web site is great and the chat feature for sales and tech support is worth switching for by itself. It is really cool not to have to sit on the phone talking to them. Everyone I talked to at Dish from setting up my service to tech support after has been really friendly and helpful. A nice change from my Directv experience.

The VIP 722k HD DVR I got is one bad ass machine. No kidding. It absolutely blows away the HR series from Direct.
Will take some time learning the Dish system and their way of doing things but I assure you that once you start figuring this thing out, you'll love it. I'm not even close to learning mine yet but I love what I can do with it so far.
Plus, the picture in picture feature is AWESOME.

Picture Quality is GREAT. I mean really GREAT. I have an old school HD Sony tv and the picture quality is awesome.
My programming (classic Gold 250 with locals and HD Platinum) is sweet. I'm not a big sports fan so getting the Saints on Sunday is good enough for me. I love having my VS back and the Outdoor Channel inluded with my package. I watch a lot of fishing shows.

So don't be scared, make the switch, you won't regret it.

My grass is definitley greener at DISH NETWORK. so far.................

Welcome to the other side. I also switched from direct to dish about a year ago. I was happy with direct until they tried to stick it to me when I wanted to upgrade to HD...(thats a long story). I ended up switching and have been very pleased with the service.

As long as you are not a Football, Baseball, or March Madness fan.

If you have 5 CBS channels, then it is not an issue. :) I don't need the March Madness package because I get pretty much every game. I also get about 70% of the NFL games and with NFL Red Zone, I don't miss very much. I can't sit down through an entire baseball game anymore so I won't pay for the baseball package. The only channel that I don't get that DirecTV has is FCS since they have Iowa State games on every once in a while. But I was able to watch the Iowa State game last week and DirecTV viewers weren't able to. I would much rather have Dish Network with the ViP receivers and more national HD.

Since this is basically and advertisement for switching, I am just giving maore facts for other people thinking of switching.

Also, New Yorkers too.

Actually baseball is better for ME from Dish. My 5.95 multi sports pack gives me Twins, Cardinals, Brewers, Cubs and White Sox. Sure beats the heck out of the 12.95 D* sports pack and the overpriced baseball package. Also WGN in HD is nice ... something you can't get from D*. :)

Actually baseball is better for ME from Dish. My 5.95 multi sports pack gives me Twins, Cardinals, Brewers, Cubs and White Sox. Sure beats the heck out of the 12.95 D* sports pack and the overpriced baseball package. Also WGN in HD is nice ... something you can't get from D*. :)

MLB Network is included in a base package. Since you can't watch a whole game, this channel goes to live cut ins to all the games each night.

This is comparable to the Red Zone Channel that you all rave about.

Don't you get the Royals as well, like we do in Des Moines? I'd like to have the MLB network, but this is a lot of baseball to pick from, and as long as I've got the Twins, I'm pretty happy.

to the OP, good info. I like reading reviews from folks that have actually put their money where their mouth is, whichever service it is they are reviewing.

I am just a few clicks away from getting Dish for the first time.

If it's not on Speed HD, I could care less about sports, so that made my choice very simple indeed regarding the provider.

there's no question, that for what I am looking for, the Dish DVR technology and operation is better.

Make sure that you get an OTA module from them as soon as possible. Best $30 investment because it adds another 2 OTA tuners to the 722k.

I switched too. For the most part, they seem pretty much the same to me. A bit shady. Price wise fairly similar. Very cryptic billing and package offerings. Rates constantly creeping up ever so slightly.

But, yea, their online staff seem pretty good. I'll give them that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)