MY OTA Fiasco

smodak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
I am in Franklin, MA. I am losing signal on couple of OTA channels and almost all SAT channels during rain. I contacted Wilt regarding that and requested and OTA and SAT upgrade and then I was contacted by the installer for a service call. They said they can upgrade the OTA but I have to contact Voom to ship them the bigger dish before they can upgrade the dish. Last Saturday they came up with the big Winegard 7082 platinum antenna to replace the Sensar II originally installed. It was a bright sunny day and I was getting all my local channels with the old antenna, and I showed that to the installer. After the guy went up and installed the new antenna, I lost almost all of my channels (pixilation /not locking etc.). The installer tried a lot by orienting the antenna in different positions but no luck. I asked him to put the old one back. He said there is no guarantee that I will get my channels back!!! I told him to put it back anyway. He did and still I could only receive two channels. After much turning and adjusting I could get some channels back and I decided to call it a day for fear of loosing those channels too. As the installer was ready to go, I just wanted to take a look at the antenna and surprise! The antenna was at 90 degrees to the previous position. I brought this to the guy’s attention and he was pissed to go up again but he understood his mistake and insisted to try again. He did and voila! I got all my channels back. I am pretty sure he was orienting the 7082 antenna in the wrong direction before but everybody was tired to give it another shot. Looks like I am stuck with the Sensar II for now. By the way, it is rainy and cloudy today and I lost two channels again (for some reason I used to lose PBS and FOX but now I lost ABC and FOX.) I will wait to see if they come back after the rain stops. At this point I do not think I am going to request the SAT upgrade. Who knows a bigger dish just might degrade the signal!

My Original Installer was:Fransesco - a great guy
My OTA upgrader was: Busch
Both from the Company:
Integrisys Communications Group Inc
Phone Number: (603) 431-8155
E-mail Address: BDUBE@INTEGRISYSGROUP.COM

I have the Winegard PR-8800 in the DC Metro area and I too have degraded OTA reception during rain/heavy clouds. I think it is just the nature of the signal and how it is effected by the environment.

With all the airports and military bases and radar and stuff that goes on in the DC area I wouldn't be surprised if OTA reception is particularly problematic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)