my problem with my stb

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shaun-ohio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
ohio
everytime i turn the tv off it turns the stb on standby with the tv remote, anyhow today it was left on the standby mode, i turned it on when i came home from work and every channel said that no signal was available, so i did a reset and for the last 4 hours all it does is have 2 flashing yellow lights off and on and no pic or nothing, the yellow lights are next to the green power button which is on along with the flashing yellow lights, so i called voom and they said when i get those lights that usually it is downloading the new software but should not take no 4 hours to do, so im waiting on them to call me back on what to do, i have no voom now, i am totally lost without it.

Yes, it sounds like you are getting the download. I don't know why it is taking so long. Usually it is 30 minutes or so. But maybe it is failing and starting over. Do you see anything on the TV screen?

At some point if you get tired waiting, just reboot your STB. I don't think this will do any harm, in the worst case it will have to start the download again.

Once again, what happens if you press the power button on your TV set itself (without any remote)? Does it turn off the STB?
Is the STB plugged in to an outlet on the wall directly or through some other device?

i left the stb unplugged for 20 mins, same problem over again, i even put the power cord into another outlet, and even when i press the power button on the tv it still shuts off the stb, so i have decided to just let it go on its own to see what happens overnite when i turn the tv off again, its a good thing i still have directv to watch, at least i can watch something, they are supposed to come and install my ota antenna on june 5th, mabey they will bring me a different stb, still waiting on them to call back, thanks for everyones help on this problem, you would not think that the dvi cable going from the tv to the stb would power off the stb when i power off the tv?

after 5 hours it got the new software upgrade and all is working well again, knock on wood, but tommorrow is another day, but im happy that i'm vooming again and my signal is now almost 97% since the new software upgrade, thanks again for this great group of guys and gals!!!

Did it clear up the problem as well with the stb shutting down when you turn the tv off?

nope i still have the same problem with the stb going off when i turn the tv off, so wheni want it to come back on now , i have to turn the stb back on then i get a snowy pic, then i turn it back off and then on again, the pic comes on then but, there are no info listings for the channels for about half an hour now, mabey prostar can tell me whats going on when they install the ota antenna on the 5th, the pic quality is incredible and im well satisfied with voom.

Absolutely cannot understand how or why the STB would be shutting off with the TV. You say that you power the TV off on the set and not with a remote. If you were using the remote, then that would mean that the TV and STB are operating on the same frequency or whatever you would call it. Do you have the STB plugged into a power outlet on the back of the TV? I think you said that is not the case, but is the only other reason I can see for this happening(switched outlet). Very strange indeed.

That's what I was thinking too. If this was interference from the remote, turning off the power by pressing the button on the TV set itself could not possibly cause that. Loosing power to the STB would certainly explain this and the missing program guide too. Are you sure you are not on a switched outlet? Can you plug in a night light in that outlet to see if it stays on when you turn off your TV set or when you turn off the lights in your room?

If the DVI connection is doing that (which is really strange), I would experiment with component cables, just to see if they make any difference.

yes i will try the component plugs tonight to see what happens, no my tv is a jvc 48 in high def, i can use the remote with the tv or use the power off button on the tv and it does the same thing, and the power switch to the stb is plugged into an ordinary wall plug,i cant figure this one out either, it has me stumped as well.

Yeah, let us know...

So, how many OTA stations do you get in Columbus?

did not work, changed over to the component plugs as well and it still turns the stb off when i turn the tv off by remote or with the power button on the tv as well, so im leaving the tv on now , so that way i wont have to reboot the stb everytime i try to turn it back on, my directv/tivo and my replaytv are all hooked up to the same tv and they dont power off when i turn the tv off, it has got me stumped as well, dont get any locals yet, not until june 5th install for the ota antenna, the installer from prostar digital said it was not worth the effort to hook one up, told me the antenna he had only got up to 35 miles away from me, and im only 32 miles from columbus, anyhow voom told me that the ota antenna that they are installing on the 5th of june has an amp with it, and it is the best one they have, at least i did get the new software update after 5 hours, and now i can use the program planner to change the channels, and record onto my replaytv from voom, so until the installer comes back on the 5th looks like i will leave the tv on 24-7

shaun-ohio said:
did not work, changed over to the component plugs as well and it still turns the stb off when i turn the tv off by remote or with the power button on the tv as well
Have you disconnected the DVI cable when you did this experiment? This might be important. It's not enough to switch the input on your TV set. You need to disconnect the DVI cable completely. At least one end.

You see, DVI is a 2-directional protocol, as I understand. So, at least I can possibly imagine some shut-down signal being sent over it from your TV set. But I can't imagine any signal going in the opposite direction over component cables which are analog and 1-directional...

I have another idea. Try moving the STB as far away as possible from the TV set. See if this makes a difference. (I am thinking of some EM interference from the TV set itself.)

Also, look at the back of your STB and make sure that nothing is connected to the coax connector labeled UHF. See the STB FAQ in my signature for details.

yes i will try that tonight, unhooking the dvi and just have the component hooked up, no there is nothing hooked up to the uhf connecter, thanks for your help, i love this group of guys and gals, you people are so helpful, thanks again :)

well i unhooked the dvi cable to see if it would take care of my problem with the stb shutting off when i turned the tv off, and sure enough it worked, it will not shut the stb off when i have the component plugs hooked up, try to figure this one out, i told the csr about the problem and his reply was i have never heard of that happening before, so i told him that i was do for an install of local channels on june 5th and he said that the installer would check it out to see what the problem was,

shaun-ohio,
I've merged this thread with your other postings on this topic and moved it to the main VOOM forum, so that other forum members could follow this discussion. I left other OTA-related postings in the Columbus thread. I hope this makes sense.

shaun-ohio said:
well i unhooked the dvi cable to see if it would take care of my problem with the stb shutting off when i turned the tv off, and sure enough it worked, it will not shut the stb off when i have the component plugs hooked up
Ok, that means that there is some sort of "shut down" signal going over DVI from your TV set to the STB. The only question is why it is happening to you, but is not happening to others? What is your TV brand and model, and what kind of DVI cable are you using? I wonder if other voomers with the same TV set have experienced similar problems?

i have a 48 in jvc high def the dvi cable is the one that the installer installed with my system,

Does anyone else have JVC here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)