****My rant against PQ on New Encoders****

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Since 3/2/05 when all Channels went online using the New Harmonic Encoders, the PQ (picture quality) has suffered a lot. What used to be compatible with other providers is now under. The motion artifacts on channels like Rush, WorldSport, Equator, etc and the fading artifacts (whenever their is a cut in frame) makes it very difficult to watch programs. Most of the movie HD channels look fine until there is a scene with big explosion or high motion. I am not even talking about the SD channels. I am talking about the HD channels.

If VOOM wants to make their current subs happy, this is a problem that should be resolved immediately. Otherwise a lot us (me included) will start thinking about going somewhere else.

I am calling as I see it. This problem has to go otherwise 40K will be dropping like flies.

Sean, isnt it a horribly ironic that the only service that doesnt have HD PQ problems is Dish and they wont add more hd? And release the 942 that only has 1 ota tuner and is not mpeg4 compatible???:rolleyes:

As for Voom I dont expect any improvements without AMC6

Very ironic and I am getting very frustrated... :( Maybe we all should sell our HDTVs and go back to the 27 inches JVC TV and forget about this HD stuff. It is just a big headache trying to pay for a service that will deliver the best Quality and the best Quanity. You can't find both in one place.

I think it varies from customer to customer. I CERTAINLY noticed very bad PQ quality on Voom with HD, and Dish Network's was only a LITTLE bit better. I'm sure that other customers have differing opinions though. You really can't make a blanket statement about PQ for any provider.

Sean

It must be your Receivers Sean because all my HD channels come in crystal clear even my SD Channels i have no complaints at all. :D

I am watching on a 65" LCD and 42" DLP both at their native resolution through STB and in both I am seeing the same problem with motion artifacts. While the picture is still is the best. But whenever there is movement the motion artifacts are visible. This was not like this before. It has been well documented that it has been visible only after the new encoders came online. This is not something that HD customers are willing to live with. I certainly am not. If this is not fixed soon, I do not think I can pay for this type of service.

Sean Mota said:
Very ironic and I am getting very frustrated... :( Maybe we all should sell our HDTVs and go back to the 27 inches JVC TV and forget about this HD stuff. It is just a big headache trying to pay for a service that will deliver the best Quality and the best Quanity. You can't find both in one place.

Sean, what about cable, is it Cablevision or Time-Warner there?

SonicRob said:
It must be your Receivers Sean because all my HD channels come in crystal clear even my SD Channels i have no complaints at all. :D

But you don't have a HD Projector remember, things are not so noticable on a ED unit.

Sean Mota said:
Cablevision...

Do you know how their HD looks?

On Comcast here it is great, but cable is different everywhere. :rolleyes:

Their PQ is acceptable. They offer the locals but the locals over the air is better. INHD looks great;

Sean Mota said:
Their PQ is acceptable. They offer the locals but the locals over the air is better. INHD looks great;

Here also, I can't wait for baseball on it to start, it will be like the early days on HD-Net when they had sports.

For those that think Sean is in VOOM's hip pocket, that is a very honest Sean Mota speaking and I agree. I hope they fix it fast. It is driving me crazy. Even with no heavy motion the picture is less than it was. I have been adjusting my set like crazy hoping to compenstate. I am having Greg L. come in April to do a ISF Calibration. Now I am beginning to wonder what I will gain.

bruce said:
But you don't have a HD Projector remember, things are not so noticable on a ED unit.
Bruce i know i don't have a HD Projector but i have no complaints about Voom i guess you are right it is not to noticable on my projector. :D

gutter said:
For those that think Sean is in VOOM's hip pocket, that is a very honest Sean Mota speaking and I agree. I hope they fix it fast. It is driving me crazy. Even with no heavy motion the picture is less than it was. I have been adjusting my set like crazy hoping to compenstate. I am having Greg L. come in April to do a ISF Calibration. Now I am beginning to wonder what I will gain.

Have it done, it will make a difference no matter what HD you get from whomever either now or in the future.

I can't image taking my 27" JVC and 36" RCA tube TVs out of the storage. While I will certainly admit PQ has gone down the sh*tter in recent weeks, I am willing keep my yap shut until a) VOOM seperates from CVC or b) VOOM ceases to operate on 1 April. In the the latter case, no further action, worry or concern is required on my part. In the former case, I am expecting VOOM HD LLC (or whatever they are called) to immediately address PQ, added HD/SD channels, bigger dish, MPEG-4, and HD DVR with their loyal customers.

bruce said:
Have it done, it will make a difference no matter what HD you get from whomever either now or in the future.

I still will have it done. I just wish Wilt or someone they designate from VOOM TECH would participate in this forum actively. It would do a lot to calm the savage PQ beast in all of us. Sean used to have many arguments on here defending VOOM PQ so it is really something for him to take the gloves off and join the critics.

SonicRob said:

Knowing some of the details on how this technology works, I don't see how it's possible that some people don't see the motion artifacts. It's a digital signal that we all receive. Our receivers are probably running the latest firmware. The TVs will receive the same signals over the component or DVI connectors, and the TV will display the picture just how it's sent.

So I'm not technically understanding how some people are NOT seeing what the rest of us easily see.

Thoughts?

softwiz said:
Knowing some of the details on how this technology works, I don't see how it's possible that some people don't see the motion artifacts. It's a digital signal that we all receive. Our receivers are probably running the latest firmware. The TVs will receive the same signals over the component or DVI connectors, and the TV will display the picture just how it's sent.

So I'm not technically understanding how some people are NOT seeing what the rest of us easily see.

Thoughts?

If I see something go wrong with the HD picture, blocking, pixels, etc I jump out of my seat, but my wife is like what, it looks good enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)