****My rant against PQ on New Encoders****

I learned a long time ago not to sweat the small stuff....

Relax dude..... I am sure they will fix the problem then you can move on and complain about something else... LOL

The LAB channel is funny.... Acid freaks from the 70's would have LOVED that channel.... LOL

jbphoenix said:
I have been watching Universal HD most of the day and have seen very little PQ issues today. Just switched over to Rush HD and I do see some pixelation during motion shots, but it is very minimal in my opinion. Speaking of Universal HD, it is interesting that Voom is advertised on that channel... I usually only see commercials for other NBC owned channels or for upcoming Universal Movies..

UHD is one of the channels where the motion artifacts are the worst. I just got done watching Karen Sisco and the Jay Leno commercial. You can easily see the motion artifacts.

Hey Lunk, we're not complaining, we are trying to get Voom to fix their PQ issues (as it pertains to motion artifacts) that did not exist before 3 weeks ago. I love Voom. I gave up a 105 hour DirecTV DVR to switch over to Voom cause I think it's very cool. So I'm not bashing Voom, they just have what many consider some serious issues. No one wants to watch a NBA game, soccer game, concert or movie and see totally visible motion artifacts. It's distracting and it's new within the past 3 weeks.

vurbano said:
For the one Hundredth time. Turn off Lab/Moov and combine Cinema 10 to 5
This would be perfect. It would open up bandwith so they wouldnt have to starve the current bandwith and also it would give cimena 10 channels more variety , less repeats etc.. I have Voom for 2 weeks only, at first i thought the PQ was perfect, but I as watched more of it, i realized that the PQ is far behind Time Warner cable's Pq, which is the srvice i had before VOOM. I find myself only watching OTA, cause i get too annoyed with VOOm's Pq, IT has to be fixed..

neo0285 said:
This would be perfect. It would open up bandwith so they wouldnt have to starve the current bandwith and also it would give cimena 10 channels more variety , less repeats etc.. I have Voom for 2 weeks only, at first i thought the PQ was perfect, but I as watched more of it, i realized that the PQ is far behind Time Warner cable's Pq, which is the srvice i had before VOOM. I find myself only watching OTA, cause i get too annoyed with VOOm's Pq, IT has to be fixed..

Before 3 weeks ago, you could not tell a difference between Voom PQ and OTA PQ. But now OTA definately has far less motion artifacts than Voom. Hopefully they will get it worked out if they remain in business.

LunkHead said:
The LAB channel is funny.... Acid freaks from the 70's would have LOVED that channel.... LOL

Lab is Great! Groove the best background channel for adult fun.

As a former Time Warner and DIRECTV sub the Voom pq has never been any worse than nor poor any longer than I got from the two previous providers including the current OTA signals. The Voom audio though has always been far crisper and the the 5.1 more consistent than anyone else.

Well, I was watching UniversalHD today and found many *fewer* incidents of blocking than usual. For example there is a promo they play frequently each hour that has an explosion of flames. It used to dissolve into a screen of squares: no longer!

Looks pretty good to me, but what do I know?!

CDH.

The PQ has suffered a great deal on the HD ch's. It wasnt perfect before and it didnt get any better since the new encoders went into affect. The best HD as far as PQ goes continues to be OTA. No matter what any provider might pipe through to you , it will never compare to the quality of true OTA. Not in my eyes anyway. I have Directv and HD locals dont look as crisp as OTA....and TWC in NY its the same way.

CDH said:
Well, I was watching UniversalHD today and found many *fewer* incidents of blocking than usual. For example there is a promo they play frequently each hour that has an explosion of flames. It used to dissolve into a screen of squares: no longer!

Looks pretty good to me, but what do I know?!

CDH.

I agree with the quality today on Universal HD being better, but then maybe I don't see what others are seeing.. I am using a 57 inch Sony CRT via Component at 1080i for the STB. I would use DVI, but I have my Samsung up-convert DVD player hooked up via DVI..
Just my 2 cents worth..

softwiz said:
Knowing some of the details on how this technology works, I don't see how it's possible that some people don't see the motion artifacts. It's a digital signal that we all receive. Our receivers are probably running the latest firmware. The TVs will receive the same signals over the component or DVI connectors, and the TV will display the picture just how it's sent.

So I'm not technically understanding how some people are NOT seeing what the rest of us easily see.

Thoughts?

I can't help with the how, but facts are facts and some people(me included) are seeing no or little problem with PQ. My only problem was this morning on DHD when there was some blockiness briefly this morning on a show. Maybe we should all schedule a group viewing and compare notes. That way we all are seeing the exact same show at the same time and can compare notes. Then if people have differences in PQ we can compare details of the ones that have no problem and the ones that don't. This might help VOOM fix the problem. Ofcourse it is possible that all will see the problems and it will end the debate, either way we'll make progress,
Patrick

No problems here now with 106" projector and 61" Hitachi, but I agree that right after the switch the PQ suffered. Now I think it is OK, but maybe it is just for my eyes?

Watching TNTHD Gladiator and also Equator with mucho freeze frames and dropped audio. I also agree that VOOM PQ before was good but not up to OTA standards and now it is even worse. I hope the freezes I saw were part of the tweaking. Picture on all HD channels is soft...no sharp.

The PQ has improved since the new encoders went in but still not as good as with the old ones. Please keep tweaking it Voom! What I find most annoying now is the audio dropouts on Rave. Its a music channel, at least get the audio right! I watched about half of the Peter Gabriel concert and there were 4 or 5 dropouts. The audio used to be awesome on this channel. So disappointing.

Well, if VoOM doesn't improve the PQ they can always hope that D* and E* PQ gets worse. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the folks that are seeing blocking all have fixed-pixel displays...

Lob

Lobstah said:
I wonder if the folks that are seeing blocking all have fixed-pixel displays...

Lob

You'll have to elaborate...

I believe what we are seeing is what everyone will see. It's the same digital signal everyone gets and decodes. The TV will display exactly what it's told to display. While there will be some color and slight processing differences, no TV is going to make up for an over compressed/bandwidth limited signal or fill in the pixels with made up stuff. When we see skeeters, blotching, or pixelation (other than signal problems), everyone should see skeeter, blotching and pixelation.

For instance, one evening a local OTA station was having some problems. I called my friend who has a HD projector. Exactly at the same moment, we both saw exactly the same blotching and pixelation. This occurred for about an hour until they fixed the problem. It's simply a digital signal. Each Voom receiver will decode it in the same way and present the frames to the TV.

Plasmata said:
What I find most annoying now is the audio dropouts on Rave. Its a music channel, at least get the audio right! I watched about half of the Peter Gabriel concert and there were 4 or 5 dropouts. The audio used to be awesome on this channel. So disappointing.

Totally agree about the frequency of the audio dropouts. There used to be maybe one an hour, if not less but now you can count on 4+. Voom needs to get the audio right, especially on this channel.

I have a CRT rear projector and definitely noticed a decrease in PQ on all channels during the encoder switch. Things have improved over the past couple of weeks but the blocking is still noticeable on SD less so on HD. The new group of SD channels are in BAD PQ shape right now.

I can see the bandwidth shrinking and it doesn't look good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)