My Review Of Directv After 7 Days

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
I wanted to give my initial impressions of Directv after having been a member with them for a week now. In June I went from Time Warner Cable, Central Ohio to Dish Network, and then last week onto Directv due to an offer to get a great deal on NHL Center Ice.

PQ: Prior to joining Directv I had heard that they had excellent PQ, but I honestly was expecting something very similar to what I had with Dish Network. Absolutely not! The HD and SD PQ are noticeably better than Dish Network and very often give me a WOW factor that I just never got with any channel on Dish Network. I don't think I realized how mediocre the E* PQ really was until now. As a movie buff I am PARTICULARLY dazzled by the quality of the Starz channels. They come VERY close to HD DVD quality, imo. Not to mention the fact that the SD channels are WORLDS better than on E*. I essentially never watched SD channels on E* unless I HAD to because they were so bad. While I obviously prefer HD, the SD is again watchable for me which just adds to the value. But again, the D* HD quality is just truly stunning and clearly better than with E*.

Receiver: I have a HR21 and sadly it pails in comparison to my Dish VIP722 box. The user interface is confusing and not nearly as user friendly. I miss the ease that I could switch through my various channel lineup lists that I created, how I could see a movie in the guide and do a search on it RIGHT from there instead of always having to go through manually (menu > search > title, etc). I miss having an antenna input (though I'm supposedly getting a HR20 to swap out the HR21), and the ability to record 3 programs at once. I miss being able to feed to another tv from the same box. I miss seeing the red record light that seems to not work on this box. The DVR on the 722 is MUCH easier to use, finding programs is MUCH easier with the 722, in short, the HR21 is a MASSIVE disappointment. I really hope there are plans to make their equipment more like E*'s equipment.

On-Demand: Well, since I have the HR21, I have not been able to use D*'s. However, considering that their SD quality is VASTLY better than with E*, and considering that you currently don't have to pay extra for it, this should be a HUGE advantage for D*. Not to mention how much the wife has missed on-demand from when we had Cable. Any time you have something that the wife LOVES after driving her nuts having switched to a 3rd provider in the last 6 months is a major positive.

Conclusion: With D* having MUCH better PQ, more HD particularly in the areas that I like most (movies), west coast feeds of those channels which helps with DVR recording conflicts, and the prospect of having an on-demand service like I used to have with Time Warner, D* is a MUCH better service for ME. If Directv could only make a receiver that is as user friendly as the 722, they would be better than E* in EVERY way. I just hope and pray that D* never degrades their HD quality like E* clearly has because it looks stunning right now. I couldn't be happier right now.

I feel the same on PQ.

I watched FoodHD and HGTV on E* a LOT. When D* added them, the PQ is sharper than it was on E*.

The 622 I had is overall a better dvr than the HR20, BUT the HR20 is a close second.

If anyone thinks that the 622/HR20 aren't good units, they should go spend a year with cable and the SA and MOTO boxes.

I think there is a big drop off between the Starz PQ and many of the rest of the channels. They should ALL look that good. I do not understand why no one else sees the drop off and just says they all look great. ??????

I agree with the SD picture Quaility as well . E* SD isn't even close to D*. And now D* HD is better. Thats why I chose D* for the all around programming.

JayPSU-

What was the great CenterIce deal? I'm interested in switching to DirecTV and want NHL-CI.

Why is the technical reason for D* currently having better picture quality than E*?

Are they using better bit rates/resolution and or better MPEG4 encoders for HD and bette MPEG2 encoders for SD?

I THINK both are using similar mpeg4 gear.

It is speculated that D* is sending their new mpeg 4 channels at full rezz while E* is still at 1440x1080i. Who knows, all I know is that the new HD channels on E* look better than their counterparts on E8 when I had it.

Dont get me wrong, I liked E*'s HD, but it is a slight improvement right now on D*.

Several people have reported their SD at 480x480, so possibly it does look better since it requires less bandwidth than compared to DishNet's 540x480.

Several people have reported their SD at 480x480, so possibly it does look better since it requires less bandwidth than compared to DishNet's 540x480.
Its not that bad between the 2, but some channels on E* are not as clear as on D*. But I've never see it the other way around yet.The Locals are the worst. The are not great on D* but they are unwatchable on E*.

JayPSU-

What was the great CenterIce deal? I'm interested in switching to DirecTV and want NHL-CI.

Well, originally I was going to switch to D* and subscribe to E* for JUST the NHL CI subscription. But, because my installer was a no show, they were going to give me a credit for $100 but after explaining my NHL CI situation they decided to give me a credit on my account for the entire price of a D* NHL CI subscription ($169.99).

I think there is a big drop off between the Starz PQ and many of the rest of the channels. They should ALL look that good. I do not understand why no one else sees the drop off and just says they all look great. ??????

I know you've been a long-time advocate of higher quality HD, as have I.

I'm considering making the big switch, after 10.5 years with E*. How many of the D* HD channels are of high quality? Which are the notable exceptions?

I'm not interested in channels like NFL:ST or the NHL ones, so the PQ on those is of no concern to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts