My Samsung 40" 1080P

gmcgown

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
Fort Worth
I just purchased Samsung LN-T4061F from Circuit City after my old Zenith C34W23 34" died Friday. It fits perfectly without the stand in the old cavern in which the Zenith CRT resided. I am using component video cable from my Dish HD Receiver/DVR and the picture is not very crisp and not as good as my old Zenith. It looks a lot like an SD picture. Will it improve if I switch to and HDMI interface? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know...

If your hd is looking like sd. Something is wrong. I would not think hooking it up to the hdmi would help at all. You may need a firmware update. Call Samsung and tell them about it and they will e-mail you the update if there is one. They say to check out the website for updates but it is not updated on a regular basis.

Which receiver are you using?

Are you sure you have the receiver set to output in HD? If it's a ViP receiver, I believe the sequence is Menu-->6-->8. Make sure it's set to 1080i or 720p.

I'm using the Dish 622...I have not made any changes. Attached to my Zenith the picture looked great.

Then do what I said in my previous post, set the 622 to outpt 1080i (in my opinion 1080i is handled better by the 1080p set in that all it has to do is deinterlace). I'll bet you have the 622 set to output 480i/p. That may have looked good to you on that HDTV CRT, but it wasn't necessarily optimal. Your current "digital" set will look terrible until you give it the proper signal (it's not as forgiving as the CRT).

Also make sure you're connected to the component inputs on the TV (and 622, for that matter). The jacks will be color coded red, green, and blue and all are for video.

If I'm telling you elementary things, I don't mean to insult you. I just don't know what you already know. You should be getting a nice picture with that setup and there should be no confusing it with SD.

I probably put the component video cables in the wrong spot...I went through all the positions at "Source" and when I got to the "Component" position the picture came good...and it's just fantastic. Sorry I bothered all!

No problem and you might check you receiver setup in HDTV Menu and make sure it set to 1080i.

When you get a chance upgrade the connection to an HDMI. This will give you a little better signal plus it will replace the 5 lines - 3 viceo and 2 audio - you have now with one line. If you want to save money try ordering one from monoprice.com - you can pick one up for less than $10 and they will have it to you within a couple of days. Oops, I forgot it us Christmas time so allow a week or so - but they ship really fast.*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts