My SATMEX Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.

calmazan2002

Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
usa
I need advice installing c band sat system. I have some experience with ku band. I installed a 90cm dish and invacom lnb that works great in ku band.
Now I want to get satmex5 and 6 and I read that I needed a bigger dish, so I got a deal for $100.
I bought the following used equipment:
7.5ft mesh dish, chaparral lnb , homecable HCC9300 videocipher RS descrambler equiped receiver, servo-rotor arm and lots of ribbon cable.
I also have a (from my ku band system) a sonicview 360 elite and a DMX741U LNBF C/KU band LNB.
mesh dish is not warp and receiver is ok.
is this enough equipment to catch satmex5 and 6? I live in Dallas tx.
It's possible to piggy back the sonicview to HCC9300? how to send signal to multiple TV sets?
I appreciate any advice that you can provide me with.
Thanks!
I am attaching some pics of my project.
DSCN0384.JPGDSCN0358.JPGDSCN0388.JPGDSCN0390.JPGDSCN0352.JPGDSCN0354.JPGDSCN0353.JPGDSCN0333.JPGDSCN0351.JPGDSCN0385.JPGDSCN0389.JPGDSCN0348.JPGDSCN0356.JPGDSCN0359.JPGDSCN0380.JPG

I would say you have enough for satmex 5 & 6, plus 139W to 53W +. sonicview 360 to Ku dish motor, then to disqc sw, one port for a dedicated Ku LNB on the 39 inch dish, another disqc port for the DMX741U, mounted to the BUD (for C band only, as it also uses disqc for band switching.) Could change it out with model DMX741, that uses 22khz, to have C and Ku on the BUD. For analog feeds, Use the Loop out to feed the LNB input of the analog receiver.(May require a "Voltage Block") BTW- remove the videocipher RS , It's of NO real value. I like using a "Frequency agile modulator" to feed multiple TV's. Yeah, it is only SD, but looks a H E double hockey sticks better than C A B L E. Oh, use the analog to move the BUD.

remove the videocipher RS , It's of NO real value.
Thanks for the advice!
But there are channels in satmex digicipher encrypted, woulnt I need the descrambler to watch those channels? I dont know if the receiver is authorized. will descramble mexican channels?
I am also removing the 90cm dish, just planning on keeping BUD for KU and C bands,
Is the sonicview capable to move the BUD?

I just finish installing the pole perfectly plumb,

A "videocipher RS descrambler" is not digicipher. It's analog "NTSC VC2" The RS stood for "renewable security" as it had a card slot. Might still get the weather channel on AMC 11, if it's open. But I doubt you could subscribe it. For digicipher channels on Satmex, I can't comment if they are available or not. Suggest you ask in the the 4dtv section.
BTW- use the flat scalar with the 741 on the bud. The conical will not see all of the BUD.
The sonicview will not move the dish on it's own, but can command a Gbox or Vbox to move it.

That dish looks like the SAMI that a guy down the road gave me last summer. That Chapparal scaler ring will hold a DMX-741 and U if you file the numbers off one side of it. I've got one mounted in mine. I also used the SuperJack just like the one you have with a Vbox X that works great and it can be controlled by some of the newer DVB receivers. I can get both the Satmex Sats but can't get the scrambled channels.

If you take that damaged screen panel off you can lay it on a flat concrete floor and use a rubber mallet to straighten it out. I did that to one on my dish that was bent up pretty bad then installed it up side down and it laid perfectly on the frame then screwed it back down. The SAMI seems like a pretty good dish but it's not as good as my 10 ft Winegard. Free was good though. With yours, you will have something to work with.

I can get both the Satmex Sats but can't get the scrambled channels.
How do I go about getting the encrypted channels?
Is it possible to use the homecable HCC9300 to move the dish?
Lone Man do you have pics of your project?

How do I go about getting the encrypted channels?
contact the providers(?) to authorize your 4DTV receiver. Just a guess, but would doubt they are available in the US of A. Especially to an individual. but I may be wrong. Might ask in the 4DTV section of the forum.
Is it possible to use the homecable HCC9300 to move the dish?
Quite possible, are their 2 motor and 2 or 3 sensor connections on the rear panel? (sensor may be labeled ground [GND] and Pulse. HCC9300 is probably a rebranded Uniden, might be this one http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-manuals/101017-uniden-ust4400-manual.html

Here's a pic I just took of my "stuff". The SAMI ribbon cable is still laying on the ground for now but will ultimately get run into the house back to the right in the photo. The gray dish in the background is the 10ft Winegard that I got way back and the white one is a 6 ft solid Janiel Junior that was given to me last summer along about the same time the SAMI was given to me. I decided to use the SAMI to see how it did and it's still up. Plan is to plant two more posts to the right of the SAMI for two more dishes.

Not shown is one of two 12 ft Conifer dishes that were also given to me last summer which I've not moved home yet. Will get one of those when the weather warms up a little. The other is in a place that makes it extremely difficult to move it so that one will stay where it is. I think 4 dishes are enough.:D

Attachments

• dishes 002.jpg
    dishes 002.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 262
Yep, should move the dish for you. The black blue red spring terminals are for the servo, to control polarity. Red to DC6v, black to GND, White to pulse. And for the motor, Might have to check to see what kind of sensor you have in the actuator. Only a Hall or Optical would use the +12, along with the GND and SEN(sor)

Attachments

• SAT_cable.JPG
    SAT_cable.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 265
Hey Lone Gunman;
Whats you review in the Vbox X? are you using both Ku and C band in your sami dish?
How many conections are in the back of the Vbox? I am concern cause the ribbon cable is such a big fat cable to runnit thru walls to second floor in my house.
did you painted your sami? looks real clean and well kept.
I run a test in my dish and arm actuator works great, but having issues finding thru south cause the HCC9300 box has old sats and doesnt have my true south satellite (97W Galaxy 19) so I am thinking on buying the VBox depends on your review.
one las question , can you receiver get azteca 13 and azteca 7 on satmex 6 and galaxy 23 or are they fta?

Hey Lone Gunman;
Whats you review in the Vbox X? are you using both Ku and C band in your sami dish?
How many conections are in the back of the Vbox? I am concern cause the ribbon cable is such a big fat cable to runnit thru walls to second floor in my house.
did you painted your sami? looks real clean and well kept.
I run a test in my dish and arm actuator works great, but having issues finding thru south cause the HCC9300 box has old sats and doesnt have my true south satellite (97W Galaxy 19) so I am thinking on buying the VBox depends on your review.
one las question , can you receiver get azteca 13 and azteca 7 on satmex 6 and galaxy 23 or are they fta?

I've had zero problems with the Vbox X since I bought it but I haven't tried to setup the diseQ stuff yet! Remember also that it has no way to change polarity on an old style LNB feed horn either, ie, can't run the servo motor to change polarity. I have a DMX741 Stasndard LNBF on mine and love it! It's a few points down on Q from the C only Chaparral that was on it but I really like not having to mess with the servo crap. Oh, FYI, they (Vbox X) have been found as cheap as $39.95 shipped.

Vbox X has 1 coax in (from LNBF), 1 coax out (to the receiver) and 4 wire connectorss for the motor/reed switch. Caution, some ppl have had problems with the small wire connectors. I haven't though.

For dish positions I made a chart with sat names and I just wrote the dish position count down for the ones that I'm using. Mind you this was originally just a "temporary" install as I also have a 6ft Janiel that I wanted to mess with too.

The SAMI is pretty close to the way it was when the guy gave it to me. It did have bird poop on it, which I scrubbed off with some cleaner and a brush and one panel was damaged pretty bad but I managed to straighten it out and reuse it. I also touched up a couple of spots on the polar mount that were starting to rust with some Krylon semi flat black spray paint. I also have a feed horn cover but haven't installed it yet, because this is a "temporary" deal. ;-)

FYI on the ribbon cable. If you go with a DMX741 LNBF instead of an old style feedhorn you can do away with the need for a Cband ribbon cable @ a dollar a foot. All you'll need is a single coax and 4 wires in a bundle for the motor and reed switch.

And your final question on Galaxy 23 and Azteca, etc, dunno as I mostly stay on 91W, 121W, 99W, and a few others with some sports backhauls. Oh, and some of these are C and some are Ku. If I can remember it, I'll try to see if I can pick up those birds/tps for you sometime today.

And a final note. I ordered TWO more Vbox X dish movers last week and I plan to take the Corotor II off my 10ft Winegard soon and will replace it with another DMX741 Standard LNBF. Right now I've got a GI920 moving the Winegard dish for my Ultra but that will soon change as the 920 will go into moth balls for another day.

Well I finally setup my c band dish and seems to work ok, but...
why cant get all channels?
I check the lingsat channel list for my true south sat Galaxy 19 at 97.0W and after doing a blindscan with my sonicview 360 elite I only get about 6 channels in c band. Quality bearly goes beyond 30. I also did a blindscan in the next sat Galaxy 16 at 99.0W and only get 2 channels and there's a ton listed in that bird according to lyngsat.
any idea or sugestion ? what am I doing wrong or missing?
My equipment is a sonicview 360 elite sami dish 8 ft. vbox to move my dish and DMX741u LNB wired for both C and KU band.

cant get all channels?
What all have you done? Did you adjust the polar elevation to peak Q on 97W. Is the declination correct. Have you adjusted the azimuth for tracking the arc? or does it track the arc with all sats showing low Q? Is the LNB skew correct? Guess we have to know what was done, and how, to try deduce what's amiss.

I'm with Fat Air. It sounds to me like you need to "tweak" that dish/LNBF a little more. As little as .032 of an inch can cause MAJOR problems with Q. So tell us what you've done so far.

FYI, there's very few feeds that my 7.5 ft SAMI dish won't pull in. Q is down a little from my 10ft Winegard but I can get most of the feeds on the SAMI that I get on the WINEGARD.

A BIG THANK YOU!!! to all of you guys who helped me in this project.
I ordered an openbox receiver and now I have too many sats and channels that I can watch.
I only have couple of questions;
I have the DMX LNB dual band C/KU wired in my dish but I can only get C band signal, I try different settings for KU band but keep getting only the C band sat's.
Any ideas or sugestions?
KU band doesnt have any good sat's tv that worth to watch but it will be nice to have that too.
the second question is:
The arch where the sats are located are limited by the lenght of the arm rotor, mine only reach to galaxy 12, 133 W and 79 W.
There is plenty room for my sami dish to travel but is limited by the arm actuator. I try to check the size of my superjack II+ actuator I think is an 18" size.
Thank you again for all your input.

DMX 741U uses Diseqc to select band, and is universal Ku (Universal 9750/10600 LO, 22khz automatic) program Diseqc #1 for C (standard 5150), #2 for Ku
The DMX 741 uses standard LO's (5150C, 10750Ku) but uses 22Khz to select band - OFF for C, ON for Ku.
To disable scanning un-used frequencies in NA, with a universal Ku LNBF, Select standard lnb, set LO to 10600 and 22 khz to ON.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)