My service is horrible, bad signal or 722?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sauroneru

Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
I have been really disappointed with Dish. Only 1/3 programs on my 722 get recorded in their entirety. My installers seem incompetent. I have my dish on the roof of a 4 story building with clear sight of everything. The 722 loses signal a lot, both during storms and just randomly.

It's a clear, perfect day out. My signal strengths are:

110 and 119 = 60
129 = 38

Are these bad? It's been installed and repeaked already. I don't know what to do, but I cannot live with 90% service uptime. Is there anyway I can get them to install another dish? Is there another Houston installation company that could help?

Every transponder will be different. With you listing one from each satellite, there's no way to know if those are stronger ones, weaker ones, or average.

Dish will not give you a 2nd dish for free, nor will a local company. You'll have to pay for the dish itself plus the install fee.

I asked if two dishes could be installed. The 800 number people and 2 local retailers said no. I don't mind paying. I just want TV that works. My 722 rebooted a lot, but I think the software update has made that better. It's frustrating that the installers don't seem to know much (and have teardrop tattoos). I'm trying to figure out if my service will always be this bad and I should cancel while I still can. Anyway, I flipped through all transponders and these are my max:

Satellite (transponder) = signal
110 (16) = 66
119 (19) = 80
129 (10) = 53

Do I need to save the best transponder setting somewhere? Are these signals what you should expect from a "perfect" dish installation point?

Use TP 11 for 119 and 110 and TP 30 for 129 so we can compare readings. You cannot select which transponder to use.

Since the 722 is using the new SS meter, those levels look OK to me. My highest TP (30) on 129 is 50. I'm getting 63 for TP 11 on 119 and 58 for TP 11 on 110.

If you keep losing the signal something else is going on but those readings look good to me.

CAll DISH and get them to come back out and tweak your dish. If they can't give you better signal than that on 129 then ask for another side sat dish-24" or 30", for the 129 sat. THey probably won't want to accomadate you and if so you can try to email the ceo@echostar.com with your problems and see if they can resolve it for you.

By all means, call Dish Customer Service. I was losing a few channel (Discovery HD - my fav) and they usually pointed to the same satellite and transponder. I called Dish and the CSR ran me thru several tests and had me check connections. One transponder was very low and is has scheduled a tech to come out since it is within 90 days of the HD upgrade. If I was outside of the warranty, I would call a local company, not the installers as they are hit or miss. It is worth it to me to pay someone I trust to get good service. When everything is set up correctly and the dishes are aimed for the best signal, Dish is very reliable and it takes a major storm to disrupt the broadcast.

Last edited:
I asked if two dishes could be installed. The 800 number people and 2 local retailers said no. I don't mind paying. I just want TV that works. My 722 rebooted a lot, but I think the software update has made that better. It's frustrating that the installers don't seem to know much (and have teardrop tattoos). I'm trying to figure out if my service will always be this bad and I should cancel while I still can. Anyway, I flipped through all transponders and these are my max:

Satellite (transponder) = signal
110 (16) = 66
119 (19) = 80
129 (10) = 53

Do I need to save the best transponder setting somewhere? Are these signals what you should expect from a "perfect" dish installation point?

I'm assuming this is the new signal strength meter. If so, those readings look pretty good actually (especially on the 119!!). I'm inclined to think you have other issues going on. Software perhaps? Have you tried refreshing your checkswitch matrix and seeing if that clears things up?

110 (11) = 62
119 (11) = 72
129 (30) = 45

I think a lot of the programs were dropped before it was repeaked and the software was updated, so I'll give it a week and see if new programs get recorded without large chunks missing. The HD channels do seem a little flaky (they're 129, right?) even after these upgrades, so it would definitely be worth the money if I could find someone to put up a second dish or something.

Yes, most of the HD channels are off of 129'. It's certainly not the best or most powerful satellite out there.... :(

Call back the local retailer and tell them you'll either buy the dish yourself or they can sell it to you and you'll also pay for installation. They probably think you want it for free and they know that Dish won't reimburse them. Do these local places have their own installers ?? Many don't and just forward the order to Dish's internal or regional contractor.

Another option is to get a hold of one of the installers directly and offer them cash directly if you'll buy the dish. I believe a Dish 500 alone will suffice. It can tie into your existing Dish 1000's built-in switch. You can buy these dishes off of eBay or even buy a used one off of someone who no longer has service. The dishes are usually not removed when people cancel.

To the OP: where are you located at? In a lot of cases, the 129 orbital would be suffice. Depending on your location and choice of programming, using a separate dish for the 61.5 may serve your longterm needs better.

110 (11) = 62
119 (11) = 72
129 (30) = 45

I think a lot of the programs were dropped before it was repeaked and the software was updated, so I'll give it a week and see if new programs get recorded without large chunks missing. The HD channels do seem a little flaky (they're 129, right?) even after these upgrades, so it would definitely be worth the money if I could find someone to put up a second dish or something.

I have similar numbers, and they are actually pretty good, especially since the new SS meter introduced with the latest SW update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts