My Story: Left Dish after 7+ years.....

I'm a nearly 8 yr customer of Dish and not happy at all right now, because of being royally screwed on a 942 lease upgrade. In a nutshell my situation was:
- I had an 811 on a $99 lease
- Dish CEO office calls me, after I emailed them, and offered me a 942 upgrade for an additional $151 ($250-$99 credit for 811). I accept.
- Dish charges me $250, but never gives me $99 credit.
- They put me on 12 month commitment.
- I file appeal to CEO office, which is denied.
- After my appeal, Dish then hits me with a $5/month lease upgrade charge. This charge was never discussed with me and wasn't started until 2 months after getting the 942. A CSR confirmed to me that it wasn't put onto my account until after my appeal, stating that during the appeal process, they found that I terminated my 811 lease early.

So in the end, I am going to end up paying $409 for a leased 942 ($99 + $250 + $60). If I upgrade to 622, I'll be up to $508 for a leased 622.

I wouldn't mind all of this, if I had actually agreed to it. And if I had not been lied to. If they had told me that my 811 to 942 upgrade was going to be another $250 plus $5/month, I would have never taken it. Then I would have upgraded the 811 to a 622 for $299. Total cost to get to the 622 would have been $398 instead of $508. So they have taken me for $110.

I would think seriously about leaving Dish, because of the lies and underhanded actions, except I still have 8 months remaining on my 942 lease commitment.

BTW, if anyone works with the Dish CEO office on a "special deal" then be VERY wary if you work with Erica. She first promised me the $99 credit and then denied it, and she is the one who failed to tell me about the $5/month charge and then stuck me with it after I appealed. If you are working with Erica, my advice is to get everything you agree to in writing, or at least in email. For if she would do this to a subscriber who has paid $2900 to Dish over the past 2 years, then she could do it to anyone.

Tom Bombadil said:
I'm a nearly 8 yr customer of Dish and not happy at all right now, because of being royally screwed on a 942 lease upgrade.

*snip*
For if she would do this to a subscriber who has paid $2900 to Dish over the past 2 years, then she could do it to anyone.

Tom, what happened to you is very unfortunate. I know there are a number of us who seem to feel like we were taken advantage of and lied to by Dish. My personal belief is that this is the coporate mentality at Dish. Charley has told his customers (via Charley Chats) a number of lies in the past several months. While some like to characterize him as a foolish, silly, out of touch CEO, I don't buy that routine. He is a shrewd business man who told us lies, and when we believed him, he took advantage of us. Count me among those. So now when I hear a story like yours, it reinforces for me the belief that Charley's attitude filters down to those who work for him. We should all beware of Dish's business practices and "customer service."

Even now I cannot believe things have worked out the way they apparently have.

When I didn't get the $99 credit, I wrote a very polite email (I saved copies of all of my emails). I said that my 942 had been installed, thanked them again for their consideration, and said that I could understand how the $99 credit might have been overlooked as it wasn't a standard offer. No accusations, no threats, no criticisms of any kind.

At that point I was 100% confident that Dish would stand by that offer.

I never dreamed that they would not only not stand by their word, but would then stick me with an additional fee. A fee that is certainly in violation of the verbal offer which was very clearly stated that the TOTAL charges would be $250 for the 942 with a $99 credit for the 811, for a grand final total of $151. Instead the final total is going to be $310 for the upgrade.

Too bad I didn't record that conversation.

And there is no where I can go with it now, as it is Erica, CEO office darling, vs Joe Schmuck, customer. If I complain again, who knows what other kind of charge they can come up with to hit me with.

Just to let you know starting in april

there will be a nice option for those of you who got the 941/942 recvrs there will be a 200 dollar refund back in april

You know the agents we not lieing to you they simply did not know anything about the recvrs that we coming out yet. and as far as them being treating new customers better ... well the new promotions that started in feb helped to elimanate that. the best offers are 49.00 just under (barely) then what new customers get , and if you have purchased equip you get a 25.00 credit back per recvr you replace. the 250.00 leasing upgrade on the 622 equip is not just for existing customers but for new customers as well. and i don't forsee them changing that .... they had leasing upgrades on the 941/942 and didn't get rid of those .... instead they switched them for the 622 recvrs. you know if you went out and bought those recvrs they are 798.99 I know it's alot of money either way.... but let's say your a local retailer ... or even the ceo of dish ... how much money would you lose if you "gave them away" or only charged 49.00 for that expensive peice of equipment? you'd be losing alot. yes you have monthly charges

you also get a dish 1000 installed for free , it's included in the upgrade under dish'in it up promo

dvr fee 6.00
hd programming about another 20.00 a month
if no hd programming a hd enabling fee
then the leased recvr fee 5.00
or if you bought it 5.00 monthly additional outlet fee

yes there's an 18 month commitment, just like new customers get ... so that's not treating new customers better ... that's being fair but you get credit back for your purchased recvrs ... so you have the BETTER deal

new locals HD doesn't cost you anything additional
locals so far ....
New York
Los Angels
Boston
Nashville
and .... Chicago i think ... i might be wrong on that one tho
==and those were all added this month and we know there are more to come==

You also do not have to pay additional if you subscribe to hbo & showtime to get the additional HD chnls --- i know .... your amazed :p

all in all you get like 25 all hd chnls (more if your in one of the cities i've listed off)
more than anyother provider , dish network is a leader in technology and prides itself in being a leader. Unlike other satellite providers they own their own satellites and don't have to rent them. they don't pay an outside companies to develope their technogy.
i know there have been lapse of good judgement in various things but i know they are activly working on improving the company in order to provide the best.

mera said:
there will be a nice option for those of you who got the 941/942 recvrs there will be a 200 dollar refund back in april

You know the agents we not lieing to you they simply did not know anything about the recvrs that we coming out yet. and as far as them being treating new customers better ... well the new promotions that started in feb helped to elimanate that. the best offers are 49.00 just under (barely) then what new customers get , and if you have purchased equip you get a 25.00 credit back per recvr you replace. the 250.00 leasing upgrade on the 622 equip is not just for existing customers but for new customers as well. and i don't forsee them changing that .... they had leasing upgrades on the 941/942 and didn't get rid of those .... instead they switched them for the 622 recvrs. you know if you went out and bought those recvrs they are 798.99 I know it's alot of money either way.... but let's say your a local retailer ... or even the ceo of dish ... how much money would you lose if you "gave them away" or only charged 49.00 for that expensive peice of equipment? you'd be losing alot. yes you have monthly charges

you also get a dish 1000 installed for free , it's included in the upgrade under dish'in it up promo

dvr fee 6.00
hd programming about another 20.00 a month
if no hd programming a hd enabling fee
then the leased recvr fee 5.00
or if you bought it 5.00 monthly additional outlet fee

yes there's an 18 month commitment, just like new customers get ... so that's not treating new customers better ... that's being fair but you get credit back for your purchased recvrs ... so you have the BETTER deal

new locals HD doesn't cost you anything additional
locals so far ....
New York
Los Angels
Boston
Nashville
and .... Chicago i think ... i might be wrong on that one tho
==and those were all added this month and we know there are more to come==

You also do not have to pay additional if you subscribe to hbo & showtime to get the additional HD chnls --- i know .... your amazed :p

all in all you get like 25 all hd chnls (more if your in one of the cities i've listed off)
more than anyother provider , dish network is a leader in technology and prides itself in being a leader. Unlike other satellite providers they own their own satellites and don't have to rent them. they don't pay an outside companies to develope their technogy.
i know there have been lapse of good judgement in various things but i know they are activly working on improving the company in order to provide the best.

I am a dish customer but I would like ask you a question. How does Comcast manage to still make money while leaseing its DVR without upfront fees and no comitment?

Yes Comcast DVR is not as good as 942 which I have but it doesn't cost $299 to lease.

I am still with Dish only because it has Spanish Soccer in HD. Once GolTv starts its HD channel, I am gone.
:hungry:

Mera, There have already been about 50 other threads that made all of the announcements that you put in your post. BTW, the upgrade fee for the 622 is $299, not $250. And the list price for a 622 is $699, not $798. As to the HD channels not costing anything additional, well, part of the reason for this is that with the new pricing, Dish raised the fees for HD by 33%. They raised the DVR fee by 20%. They increased the programming commitment length by 50%. They increased the upfront lease charge for the HD DVR by 20%.

And we've already hashed out the concept that Dish is losing money on the leases, and most of us aren't buying the argument. Once one takes into account the programming commitments, tax advantages & depreciation, retaining ownership of the equipment, and the true manufacturing cost of the equipment, most of us think Dish is making a tidy profit on the deal.

Not saying that the present Dish deals are bad deals, excepting for those that own new 942s, but they fall a bit short of "amazing."

Last edited:
dishguy said:
I am a dish customer but I would like ask you a question. How does Comcast manage to still make money while leaseing its DVR without upfront fees and no comitment?

Yes Comcast DVR is not as good as 942 which I have but it doesn't cost $299 to lease.

I am still with Dish only because it has Spanish Soccer in HD. Once GolTv starts its HD channel, I am gone.
:hungry:

comcast has a DUAL tuner? AND it's HD?

-- no they don't look at cell phones... they more funtions the more you pay for them

as for the HD programming for latino customers ... i'm upset and feel it's unfair ... but don't worry ... there's plenty of ppl saying they want a latino hd package
they shouldn't have to ask for it ... it should have been included in hd options to start with

Tom Bombadil said:
Mera, There have already been about 50 other threads that made all of the announcements that you put in your post. BTW, the upgrade fee for the 622 is $299, not $250. And the list price for a 622 is $699, not $798. As to the HD channels not costing anything additional, well, part of the reason for this is that with the new pricing, Dish raised the fees for HD by 33%. They raised the DVR fee by 20%. They increased the programming commitment length by 50%. They increased the upfront lease charge for the HD DVR by 20%.

And we've already hashed out the concept that Dish is losing money on the leases, and most of us aren't buying the argument. Once one takes into account the programming commitments, tax advantages & depreciation, retaining ownership of the equipment, and the true manufacturing cost of the equipment, most of us think Dish is making a tidy profit on the deal.

Not saying that the present Dish deals are bad deals, excepting for those that own new 942s, but they fall a bit short of "amazing."
you qoute me on pennies and cents .... 299.00 & 250.00 and through dish if you buy the 622 it IS 798 the locals not costing extra part of the reason of the price increase ... i don't buy it ..... programmig providers increase the bill to dish , and dish fights back ....trying to get the best cost ... (look at the lifetime chnl ... they wanted 76% increase) yet historcally dish still maintains to be the lowest all digital programming ...Dish take the brunt of the blow from programming providers ... direct's increase was higher than dishnetworks .... and the new direct tv customer are paying more for the SAME programming the existing customers have ... everything in this world will continue to cost more over time ... it's the cost of living

Tom Bombadil said:
I'm a nearly 8 yr customer of Dish and not happy at all right now, because of being royally screwed on a 942 lease upgrade.

I have been with Dish since 10/95. I wanted to upgrade to a PVR for some time. I did my research and as early as last September it was apparent that the current DVRs would be obsolete soon.
I don't feel sorry for anyone who doesn't research before buying. I have a 622 sitting in my house waiting for the install.
By the way, I just compared digital Cable for the second time and Dish is superior.

I did research. I just concluded that at a price of $151, and expecting to get a reasonable upgrade deal for any replacement, that it was worth it. And it would have been, had Dish honored their commitments.

My price, according to Dish, would have been a grand total of $250 ($151 to upgrade to 942, another $99 to the 622) to eventually upgrade to a 622. So I would have gotten it cheaper than you.

Thus there is no reason for you to not feel sorry for poor, pitiful me who didn't do his research. My bad deal is due totally to Dish lying to me, and is not due to me not analyzing the situation correctly (excepting for me assuming that I could trust Erica's word as to what the 942 upgrade was going to cost).

Last edited:
I should add that those who feel superior in some way about their decision to wait, really only gained a $50 price advantage over those who jumped earlier on a $250 942 lease.

Person who jumped on 942 lease in July '05 pay: $250 for 942 lease, $99 upgrade, for total of $349.

Person who waited for 622 lease now pays $299.

Big deal, $50 difference. Plus the person with the 942 got several months of use of an HD DVR.

So I consider the two deals to be almost exact even in total value per dollar.

I.e. no significant advantage to those who waited.

Last edited:
Actually he can in 6 month's. That's what I have seen in the dish bussiness. Also I have seen where the Man of the house will cancel his and the Woman of the house will put it in her name and get all of this for little or no cost. They need to treat there OLD good standing customer's first. I am sure there new employe's don't start off making what the Older employe's are making.

halsan40 said:
I don't feel sorry for anyone who doesn't research before buying. I have a 622 sitting in my house waiting for the install.
By the way, I just compared digital Cable for the second time and Dish is superior.

And would your research include listening to the CEO of the company? In my mind, that is one important piece of information. Dish has systematically been dishonest and misleading in statements made to customers. That, at least in part, is what many of us are upset about!

I'm still trying to figure out what receiver mera is talking about when "941" is typed (twice, so I don't think it's a typo). It's gotta be "921", but E* never leased those. So if it's "you can give us back your owned $1000 receiver and we'll give you a $200 rebate" (it's NOT a refund) for the privilege of LEASING a 622, I call that getting a royal shaft in the @$$ - unless you think a net-out of $40/month for an HD DVR is "fair". :mad:

halsan40 said:
[B said:
I'm a nearly 8 yr customer of Dish and not happy at all right now, because of being royally screwed on a 942 lease upgrade.[/B]

I have been with Dish since 10/95. I wanted to upgrade to a PVR for some time. I did my research and as early as last September it was apparent that the current DVRs would be obsolete soon.
By the way, I just compared digital Cable for the second time and Dish is superior

This last MPEG-4 transition pushed me to compare cable myself and to my surprise in my area Cable picture quality is as good or much better than Dish. I had been a Dish customer since 1998 (I still have a 5000 model) when I switched to Dish when once a upon a time Dish was heads and shoulders above cable in price, picture quality, channel selection, customer service, etc... and that made it worth wile to invest upfront in equipment. Even in the beginning of HDTV that was still the case. But is a very different story now. I have woken up so I am done spending money in equipment to have the privilege to buy programming.

And that is why I switched back to cable. Price advantage is not there anymore, channel selection advantage not there, picture quality advantage (depending on your system) is not there anymore, customer service gap not there either. DVR is better but $700.00 or $300.00 better? I don't think so.

I have left my dishes out in case I want to consider returning to Dish in a year when my current cable deal runs out. But if I come back, it will have to be without having to put upfront money on any hardware. There would have to be a real HUGE technology and selection advantage for me to justify putting any $ on dish hardware. I paid $450.00 for my 6000 back in 2001 or 2002. I would never do that again.

Mario.

Last edited:
I was curious if anyone knew how long before Dish Network considers you a new customer. I've been getting more done around the house, so I can easily see not going back for a good year or better. When I cancelled they said two years, unless they have a "returning customer" promotion.

I asked that question back in Novemeber and this is the response I got

From E-Mail

Dear Mr. ________,

Thank you for your email. As a current or previous subscriber of DISH Network services you would not be able to participate in new customer promotions. Our system archives our previous customers account records including name, phone number and address. In doing so, we are able to access records for those customers who wish to reconnect their service in a more timely fashion. If you do choose to cancel then restart programming services, you will reactivate as a current subscriber and will be able to participate in any promotions for our current customers.

We appreciate that you want to expand services with us, and I hope that you understand that we are giving new customers the best promotion we have at this time just as we did for you eight years ago. Unfortunately we cannot continually upgrade all of our customer’s receivers and keep the monthly rate as low as it is currently. We are looking out for all of our customers. If everyone in your neighborhood that has had Dish for some time wants all new equipment and we had no way of collecting any of the cost that would in turn lead to unwanted price increases. The logic behind getting new customers equipment is that they have nothing to watch our programming on. You have receivers already installed and working properly.

If you have further questions, you may reply to this email or you may call our 24-hour Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-3474.

Sincerely,

Joe A.

Dish Network eCare

I myself am at the end of my commitment to dish and am canceling and moving to different state and was wondering if i had my wife call and order dish in her name would we be considered new customers?

Last edited:
New customer status?

I too would like to know if anybody knows if cancelling my 8+ years of DN service and having my wife open a new account would work as a new customer? We would be using our same service address and same billing address as well as the same customer last name. Does that work or are there rules?

I've always bought my equipment and I am currently under no contractual obligations with dish.

George -bub

PS I was offered a $100 discount off my bill for turning in my owned 811 towards the 622. I was also told that if I sold my 811, DN would not activate it for the new owner. I'm more than a little bit ticked off at DN. If I had a decent cable company operating in this small town, DN would be short a customer next month.

Luck everybody.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)