My superdish (1 Viewer)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
G

My superdish is being installed on Saturday morning. I'm not into HD yet but will be getting my new locals from Greensboro, NC. I will let you know how it goes.

VonL

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 14, 2003
I don't have a digital camera yet so I can't provide any pictures. It was placed where my dish300 was on my deck mounted to a 4 x 4. It is very stable due to some additional bracing I placed at the mounting site. I had a local retailer perform the install. He had the old dish down and the superdish up in less than 30 minutes. I took him about 30 seconds to find the satellite using a birddog and then placed the sw34 switch in and hooked up the recievers. I have 721 and a 501. THe 501 recognized the superdish very quickly. The 721 took about 20 minutes due to downloading the new guide. All told he had everything working in alittle less than an hour. His install was very professional and very neat. Our Greensboro locals provide very good picture quality and my wife is in love with being able to record the locals on the dvr.

THe superdish is the composite material and was make very well. It is not as huge as I thought it would be. I had three dishes anyway so it's size is not bad. THe weight of the dish is 40 pounds but didn't feel that heavy. I'm lucky that my wife does not care what I do with the dishes as long as she can see her shows.

THe retailer said alot of the installs he had done would not work with several recievers even though they had the superdish showing in the menu. The dishpro adapter was not allowing the reciever to see the 105 satellite. He said the worst part of the superdish was putting the shrouds on. THere's 3 pieces and were alitte tricky to get together. All in all we are very happy with the installation and performance of the dish. He said we were geting the best signal strenght of the 10 he had already installed. It fluncates between 72% and 75%. I will try my best to answer any questions anyone has.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Does anyone know when the SuperDISH will be available to everyone?

VonL

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 14, 2003
It measure 20' by 36". I found mine by calling all retailers with in 50 miles of my home. May be you can find using this method.

VonL

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 14, 2003
It measure 20' by 36". I found mine by calling all retailers with in 50 miles of my home. May be you can find using this method.

jdmart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 29, 2003
Albuquerque
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought the composite dish was supposed to be a lot lighter. 40 pounds seems awfully heavy.

VonL

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 14, 2003
I think because it is where the composite dish attaches to the mast is a very heavy build up to help support the disk itself. I might add that the size is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
You install sounds just like mine, and again the hardest part of the install was the shroud. :)

I wish they would open up the HD Channels at 105.

G

Scott Greczkowski -

Do you have a guess as to how much heavy the Superdish is vs. the Dish 500. I ask this because the only real place I have to mount the SD is where the 500 is now and that is on chimney. My lot has little side and back land so I do not have LOS to sat from these areas.

Thank you if any info you can give me

VonL

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 14, 2003
The installer said it would have gone fine where the dish500 was except when he set the skew the bottom edge of the dish hit the roof of my deck and he couldn't turn it far enough.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I was told just now by a DISH CSR that SuperDISH will be available Dec 1 for those of us that want to upgrade to it who already have our locals. :) :)

RJS

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 1, 2003
Hazel Green, WI
My Superdish is the metal version. I don't know what it weighs but it was certainly heavier than the Dish 500. It is 34" wide and wasn't as big as I expected.

The mounting bracket is much like the one one my 500. Two bolts compress the flange on the pole.

As I mentioned elsewhere, my dealer and I couldn't find a 2" pole on short notice but found we could spread the flange to fit a 2 3/16" OD pole. I don't think it would spread much more than that. We used longer bolts to fit the wider gap.

My Madison locals come in quite well. In fact, with all the poor quality reports I read, I was a bit worried. But the quality was not bad at all.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have seen the Dish 500's spread apart for a little larger poles and it does not look like it is good on the dish especially if you were to move the dish to another location or another pole in the future. I have seen it do something to the adjustments on the dish, it would just make it out of whack if someone goes too far causing damage.

RJS

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 1, 2003
Hazel Green, WI
I'd have to agree, Stargazer. It would be possible to cause damage if you went too far. From what we could see, there was no problem.

The only thing affected was the mount. If we'd have seen the dish give at all we wouldn't have done it. Again, we were quite careful and it takes two people.

This was the metal version of the dish. It may not be possible to spread the plastic version.

Since I have no intention of moving the dish I think it will be fine. So far so good, anyway.

RJS

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 1, 2003
Hazel Green, WI
Stargazer, I went out and looked at my dish mount and this is what it consists of.

First there is a plate that the dish mounts to. That plate bolts to the piece that sets the up and down angle, which in turn bolts to the pole mount. It was the pole mount that we "stretched". Because of this there was no way that there was danger of damaging the dish.

Just a little FYI. I got curious and thought I'd check it out for sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread