My SWM setup/HR34

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gregftlaud

Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I'm thinking of upgrading to and HR34. I have a Slimline 3lnb dish with SWM. My splitter has 4 outputs. Was wondering if my setup will work with an HR34.

Thanks

then all you have to do is remove the splitter and you'll be fine. That is how I have it

SWM LNB------cable-------power inserter-----cable---HR34

Well can i leave the splitter on b/c it's in my addic where the line from my dish runs to it so the run from the dish wouldnt be long enough to reach a receiver. Plus i might want to keep my hr20-700 and put it in the bedroom so i'd need the splitter anyway for that right?

but he mentions "My splitter has 4 outputs" so that wouldn't work....If it was the 8 way yes it would...but not the 4

Yah 4 outputs means it supports 8 tuners. So the HR34 has 5 tuners and my HR20-700 has 2. So why wouldnt a 4 output splitter work?

it would. You need one cable to the HR34, one cable to the Hr20, one cable from the power passing (red)port to the power inserter. So three ports in total.

Actually with a Power inserter i wuld only need two outputs in use on the splitter. B/c the Power Inserter has two outputs that runs an output to the receiver (ird) and has a 2nd output that goes to the splitter (power to swm). So say if the power inserter was located with the HR34 .....the PI box wuld run an output to the HR34.....then run a cable to the red output port on the splitter. Then i'd need the 2nd output for the line going to the hr20

DirecTV changed their recommendations for the PI and suggests that where possible you use a separate power-passing port for the PI rather than passing through the PI to another receiver. It's only really relevant if you are using whole home but you might as well do it that way anyway.

Really hmm well an installer did the job and didnt do the power to the splitter on it's own separate line. Do u know why that directv recommends this?

Also in terms of whole home dvr i dont use DECA for mine i have my whole home via hard wired ethernet thru my router

gregftlaud said:
Really hmm well an installer did the job and didnt do the power to the splitter on it's own separate line. Do u know why that directv recommends this?

Also in terms of whole home dvr i dont use DECA for mine i have my whole home via hard wired ethernet thru my router

Having a dedicated line to the splitter is only really recommended on SWM8 and 16 installs. All others are fine

Ok i'm really confused i have several people saying my 4 output swm splitter will work with my HR34 then a couple that say it wont and that i need an 8 output splitter. Hmm

Iceberg said:
but he mentions "My splitter has 4 outputs" so that wouldn't work....If it was the 8 way yes it would...but not the 4

You can run a 34 and an HR24 off a 2-way SWM splitter. So yes, he can keep the 4-way and be fine. Just needs to be sure the unused ports have terminators on them

You can run a 34 and an HR24 off a 2-way SWM splitter. So yes, he can keep the 4-way and be fine. Just needs to be sure the unused ports have terminators on them

I dont get how that works. I understood the splitter as tuners. So my 8 way splitter I could have the HR34, my R22 and a H23 hooked up at same time because that was 8 tuners. Anytime you got above 8 tuners you needed the SWM16.
So how can you run 7 tuners off a 2 way splitter?

Iceberg said:
I dont get how that works. I understood the splitter as tuners. So my 8 way splitter I could have the HR34, my R22 and a H23 hooked up at same time because that was 8 tuners. Anytime you got above 8 tuners you needed the SWM16.
So how can you run 7 tuners off a 2 way splitter?

Internal splitter in the LNB I assume. I currently have 4 HDDVRs at my moms on a 4-way. The ports aren't really tuners they're just places to hook up lines.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts