My True South Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
couple ways to go with this...

-If you are on your true south right now (and havent moved the motor), you can try and move the elevation on the dish part (NOT the motor part) maybe 1/16" to 1/8" to see if it will work.

-If all else fails, I would remove the motor...but if you are sure the motor is at true south, make some markings to note it on the mast. Install the dish as if it were fixed and get a signal. Mark it on the pole and put the motor back on. Reason I say this is, unless you have experience, installing a motor can be a bugger. I have installed many dishes, but had PSB do my motor install, since he had a meter. Once you have signal with the fixed dish and mark it, then you know where you need to aim the dish when you put the motor back on, and elevation is what you would need to adjust.

It sounds like a pain in the butt, but hopefully we can get it :)

Well mother nature is not on my side! It is snowing today - so I have to wait.

I feel I am very close - and I hope to get it soon - I certainly learned a lot from you and Pete and will let you know how it is going and also when I am successful.

Weather permitting I will try again tomorrow.

John

Iceberg said:
couple ways to go with this...

-If you are on your true south right now (and havent moved the motor), you can try and move the elevation on the dish part (NOT the motor part) maybe 1/16" to 1/8" to see if it will work.

I think that is the problem the true south - too bad there is no easy way to fond it I think I have it and then I look again and I am off --- I will keep trying!

John

Just out of curiousity, whats your location (general area?)

You must be somewhere near the midwest (AR, MO, KS, IA area) because I'm in MN and IA6 is my true south...yours is just over one :)

I live in the Kansas City Metro Area --

Any tricks - other than trial and error in finding True South?

I hope to work some more on it tomorrow - weather permitting. As frustrating as it is at times I must admit that I am having a blast.

Another question: Is a FORTEC STAR LIFETIME ULTRA FTA RECEIVER PANSAT 2500A receiver a better choice than what I have now? (MRX-900).

Thanks guys!

The rain forced me inside and I start looking at my cables - I discovered a bad cable from the wall to the receiver. Once the cable was changed a very interesting observation: the strength for each satellite was different with only IA-5 and Galaxy 3 having high strength and all others bellow 40 - might mean nothing but it is a change! :)

SUCCESS!!!!!

Check the pictures! Now I am afraid to move it!!!

Help on finding the rest and also my Quality is about 14 (pays between 13 and 16) is that the best it can get? By the way there is a cloud cover today.

I got 31 Channels but what I see is CCTV E&F, CCTV-9, and CCTV-4. The rest are encrypted I believe.

Thank you Pete and Ice!

It was a problem with my cables both the one from the LNB to the motor and the one from the wall to the receiver - what are the chances??

How can I fine tune it?

John :) :) :)

Attachments

• IMAG0056.JPG
    IMAG0056.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMAG0055.JPG
    IMAG0055.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 109
  • imag0053.JPG
    imag0053.JPG
    669.1 KB · Views: 115
WOO HOO!

Yes, the only 3 are the CCTV's. The rest is Racetrack TV (Horse Racing) and those are scrambled.

You might want to try to move it a little bit.....do this

It sounds like you are at the right azimuth, but the elevation is a little off.

The quality should be almost max and the ebno # (the number below it) I have around 7.5 or higher.

I would try to move the elevation every so slightly (like 1/16" of an inch) to see if it helps. Since you arent moving the azimuth (left/right) if it goes away, you can move it back.

I would keep trying to see how much it improves.....the only other thing might be left right (and I'm real scared about that.....

this sounds weird, but sometimes undo one of the elevation nuts and try to lean into it to see if that changes. I've done that and its worked.

I do get channels on IA-5 but quality meter low - picture is excellent however - the motor moves as it should!!!

I must be very close!!! And I am sure the overcast does not help - maybe it is time for a UALS receiver? :)

PilotS77 said:
I do get channels on IA-5 but quality meter low - picture is excellent however - the motor moves as it should!!!

I must be very close!!! And I am sure the overcast does not help - maybe it is time for a UALS receiver? :)

The overcast shouldnt do that much to the signasl. Ive had rainstorms and CCTV comes in good. Thats a real strong TP

Wonder if the motor is plumb? I know when I got mine setup, PSB had to loosen one side of bolts and tighten the other to make it come in grate...

I'm real happy that you got it working though!! GOOD JOB :D

Tahnk you so much without you and Pete it would not have happened.

I will keep you posted.

John

On another subject - do you know if a USALS compatible receiver can drive my motor? It seems the way to go to me - since I now have a signal on my true south bird?

any reciver that has USALS can drive the SG2100. I have a Pansat 1500 that does. As long as it has USALS, it will work with the SG2100

Thank you - I will review the posts and see what people think is a good one - are you pleases with yours?

Back on the subject of install a motorized by people with no experience, I learned that nothing should be taken for granted - check everything the pole the settings- your receiver and your cables. Without this forum I would have never been able to do it - maybe we need to write a book? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)