My Unique Situation-What would you do?

Lars

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
I am sure everyone has unique situations, but mine is definitely different. I live in a neighborhood that is huge. It has its own cable/internet/phone company whcih is part of your monthly HOA fees (which are expensive BTW). Service and picture quality is not bad and the Internet access SCREAMS (15 Mb at Speedtest.net).
The HD offereing is good but not Dish impressive with all of the locals, TNT, HDNet, HDNet Movies, InHD (now called MOJO HD), Discovery HD, ESPN HD, NFL HD and National Geographic HD. the pay movie channels are all available as well, but I do not susbscribe. They do get you on the upgrades, though- for example, an HD DVR is $17.99/mo., a digital HD box alone is $10.99 and HBO is $15.99 for 8 channels.

What I really want for football season is ESPN2 HD and the ESPN Gameplan package, which my local cableco doesn't offer. More HD content is also a plus as we have all but quit watching SD.

I need gameplan as I live outside of the carry area for my alma mater. They are also on ESPN and ESPN2 from time to time and I'd love that as well.

What are my cheapest options for 1 TV (or 2 with the HD DVR) and HD access? Would I end up cheaper by finding a local bar that has Gameplan?

The first place to start is with your cable company. See if you can't get them to add the programming that you desire.

On the DVR front, see if you can't buy or lease one of the DVRs from a third party. As of July 1, all cable companies are required to deliver cablecard based receivers. They're going to fight it tooth and nail, but them's the rules. The FCC has always maintained that you should be able to provide your own receiver and this should drive the point home with a 16lb hammer.

OK, here's the latest.

This morning, I get an update in my e-mail form our cable co. I guess I got lucky. As of August 1, we get ESPN2 HD and ESPNU added to our channel lineup. Additionally, the extra charge for the HD package goes away (to $0.00) and the HD-DVR goes down to $13 per month. All that is lacking now is gameplan and those Voom channels I used to have. All in all, it is no longer feasible to even consider switching.

Thnaks to all who read the post and the (2) who respnded. I guess E* is not in the cards for me this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts