My Uverse Review Part 1: Installation

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I had the opportunity to have Uverse installed yesterday prior to us moving into our home next week. The Uverse guy showed up 45 min late. I had a scheduled install between Noon and Two. He didn't show up until 245. I did get a call from Uverse dispatch letting me know that he would be late, but no time frame on how much longer it would have been. When he did arrive, I took him through the house, which wasn't much as the previous owners didn't have any type of cable service at all and there was no existing wiring. I did request when he wall fished the cable from the crawl, and to use the biggest paddle bit he had, as I have some prewireing to do myself. The moment I mentioned Wall fish, he said that he was going to charge me 80 bucks per wall fish. (the dude was trying to get out of the job) I then said he could take his stuff and leave as customer service said free installation including wall fishing as I had no prewiring at all. He then went to his truck and called his manager, and then came back to the house and said that it was ok for him to do the wall fishing. (not a big deal to me, I didn't want the tech drilling through brand new carpet I just had layed.)

He began working on the NID looking for the pair from the VRAD to the house. At first he wasn't able to get a sync, and put a trouble ticket in. It ended up being that the pair was reversed and he was able to achieve sync about an hour later. In the mean time Three other techs showed up at the residence as it was about 430pm and they were coming off of their jobs. I was glad to see this kind of tag team action going on. By this time the Original tech had began wiring and had three of the holes drilled and ready to be fished with lines ran.

We pulled the rg6 through my daughters room and the living room (I was helping) and got that all set. The other techs were working on the nid and getting that all straight. We finally got to my room and cut the whole for the final line and it turned out that the tech cut the hole one stud left from where the wire was and we were going to have to re drill. He sent one of the other techs down to re drill the wire, when he drilled into the wrong spot and missed the wall by two inches. Instead the drill went up through the living room's trim (damage claim)

IT was about 6pm by the time this happened. They re drilled the hole appropriately this time in the right spot, and we finished that wall fish. When the tech was asked why he wasn't using a flex bit to do the wall fishes wich would have prevented the damage claim and made the wall fishes go alot quicker, He simpley said that att would not give them flex bits or the tools needed to do it. None of the techs on site had a flex bit. There were other tools that they could have used to help make the job easyer, but they didnt have.

So now that were all fished and the face plates were on, they brought the wire from the crawl, and straight up in the garage like I requested, but left no service loops. Also, the tech's left the residential gateway hanging in the garage instead of mounting it to the wall. It wasn't until I requested that it be mounted properly that they did it. (it was 7pm by this time and they were trying to jet as fast as they could. So he fixed the gateway, showed me how to use the system and rolled out of there by 730. The tech said that I was one of the coolest customers that he has had and I knew my stuff. He also said the last customer that he had flipped out when something similar to the wall fish go wrong. Being an installer myself, I was kool about it as I know stuff like this is bound to happen. I just want it fixed. Im about 1200 feet from the vrad which I assume was good.

Also, the installer was cool enough to leave me a brand new box of rg6, I think he forgot it, but I can put that to good use as I have to wire for Directv, Free to air (cband) and OTA. Wich is good for me as I just have to get a box of Cat5e and I can begin wiring.

First Impressions on the service, PQ is amazing good, but the real test will come when I hook my 1080P 65 inch tv to it as we used my daughters 32 inch hdtv to test the locations. The vod service is better than dish networks, enough said! It compares with comcast and Directv's but could be improved. I am dissapointed that none of the HD channels are mapped to there perspective local channel numbers or are not taken preference over SD channels. I would have liked to see 2, 2-1, 5, 5-1 ect. I quickly realized that QVCHD is a joke, G4 HD and BETHD is an even bigger joke. The HD lineup compares with directv's and smokes comcast's and dish's. I was excited to see Comcast Sports Net Chicago in HD full time allong with the Alternate HD channel up wich is sorly lacking on Dish Network. (this is one big reason why dish is losing market share to directv and uverse.

The service itself is not bad, once you get past the limitations. I could see myself subbing to Uverse over Directv if the HD stream limitations were lifted. I will post a more indeph review in a few weeks after I have been able to really test out uverse but so far so good. I will post pictures in a bit ;)

Attachments

• 109.JPG
    109.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 551
  • 110.JPG
    110.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 572
  • 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 779
  • 114.JPG
    114.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 523
  • 116.JPG
    116.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
One thing I was surprsed to hear was that the techs said the cable lines do not have to be grounded, because the NID is. Is this right?

That would kind of make sense, since the NID is the point of entry from the outside.

I think the RG6 would be no different if you ran a jumper from 1 room to another room,which does not need to be grounded.

Every phone system that I've ever seen has been grounded with a pencil ground rod so I wouldn't be surprised if they were right.

I never liked flex bits for wall fishing unless I was trying to reach a tight spot and found them to be unwieldy when trying to drill. Glow rods worked really well for wall fishing and came in handy on a extra tall walls.

Looking forward to hearing about the pq on the big screen.

Quick question Goalie,
I understand there would be a reason for a drip loop out side, but your set up is inside, is there really a need for it, other than to look neat and allow extra slack for later ?

As for the ground , normal procedure is to ground to wherever the Edison is grounded, which is normally a simple ground rod.

Jimbo

Pretty cool... interested to see the rest of the review.

Also interesting to see the different trends from region to region. No one I know in the south are laying carpet anymore, just wood and tile. Or on new construction they stain and etch the slab. About to rip the last two rooms of carpet out of my house. I hate carpet, area rugs are easy to clean with the pressure washer ;)

Quick question Goalie,
I understand there would be a reason for a drip loop out side, but your set up is inside, is there really a need for it, other than to look neat and allow extra slack for later ?

As for the ground , normal procedure is to ground to wherever the Edison is grounded, which is normally a simple ground rod.

Jimbo

Yes, it allows for the signal flow in the line to route better as a direct 90 degree bend could deterate the signal than a gradual bend through the wall. It also allows for some extra slack in the line if the connection ever needs to be changed.

Please update as you have time. Have really had the "change to AT&T Uverse" on my mind for the last 6 months since I keep getting mailers but have heard too many bad things in the past.

My house was built in 2004 with both Cable and phone lines in most rooms. Wonder if I could get away without any line fishing since I live on a concrete slab down here in the South, since the soil is too poor for basements or crawls?

Yep I will do so... I had it installed this week so it could be ready when we moved in. As we move in this weekend Ill be giving a full indeph review of the services itself. It may take me a week or so though.

Also interesting to see the different trends from region to region. No one I know in the south are laying carpet anymore, just wood and tile. Or on new construction they stain and etch the slab. About to rip the last two rooms of carpet out of my house. I hate carpet, area rugs are easy to clean with the pressure washer ;)

Yea we had fake wood layed in the dining room, it made sense. In the rest of the rooms we had carpet. The kitchen, and bathroom allready has tile in it and that is staying the same. I have to go about the house and ripp all the tape off the trim so it doesnt look like we painted over the trim. (wich is what one saw in the picture above) I should be getting a call from uverse today in reguards to the damage claim. We will see how this process works.

Bob, sorry to say but the install looks like crap. I sure hope you told them they could leave things that way because you were the one that wanted to clean them up.

I'm looking forward to seeing a further review of the PQ. I've read here and elsewhere that the PQ isn't great because they try to cram in as my HD streams as possible. I know you said the PQ on your 32 was good but the true test will come on the 65 incher. It would be nice to get a comparison of the same channels on same TV versus D*.

I have read that U-Verse may try to add more HD streams in the future but since they can't get no additional bandwidth to the house, it would comprise the PQ.

The picture on the SD channels on Uverse was some of the bust qulity Standard definition I have ever seen outside the master feeds coming off of an analog C Band signal.

The HD quality on the other hand... well it was really bad the first time I got UVERSE, but the second time the PQ was better but still not the crisp HD we all know is possible. The big issue was having only 2 HD streams in my house at the same time. With 6 HDTV's in the house this was unacceptable. :)

We left carpets in the bedrooms only, everything else is either hardwood (real) or tile.

Bob, sorry to say but the install looks like crap. I sure hope you told them they could leave things that way because you were the one that wanted to clean them up.

The install actually is much much better than that, after I told them to clean it up. I just haven't had time to take pictures.

well by all means, bob, take some new pics! Also can't wait to hear what you think about the HD quality. Is there any hope of them increasing the number of HD streams? I also have 4 HD TV's and many times at least 3 of them are on. Especially when people are over for a TV event and there is one going on the deck and two in the house.

The big issue was having only 2 HD streams in my house at the same time. With 6 HDTV's in the house this was unacceptable. :)

AT&T has decided that our little section of Austin isn't worth wiring as of yet. But even if they did, two HD streams is the red flag for us. With 4 HD DVR's and 2 HD STB's that's 10 possible streams we could have going, I don't see UVerse being able to handle that in my lifetime, unless AT&T pulls their head out of their a** and goes FTTP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)