My ViP622 HDMI died - need advice

PostItNote

Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
My ViP622 HDMI died last night after nearly two years of faithful service. I know it's the same solder problem that is common - if I "pull up" on the HDMI cable, I can get a picture again for a few seconds. I'm relatively happy with Dish Network especially since my local Cable Company doesn't carry a couple channels that I watch regularly (HDNet and Big Ten Network).

Here is my problem, and I appreciate any advice you can offer.

When my 18 month commitment expired, I cancelled my DHPP service. Does that mean I will now have to pay for a replacement ViP622? If so, what are my options? Can I sign up for DHPP and get a replacement immediately?

If Dish fights me on this, I will leave open a switch to DirecTV. Will I be able to utilize the same in house cabling for DirecTV with just a new satellite dish?

Use Component cables, Or call E* for a replacement receiver.
If it was me,,,, I would just use the component cable if the 622 otherwise is working perfectly.
I would also Sign back up for the protection plan as well. I like knowing my equipment is covered

I'm using component cables right now, but it doesn't quite look as good as HDMI. Plus, I had to steal the component connection to my DVD player to do it, so it's not a good long term solution.

Will the receiver be covered for replacement without DHPP?

Being the impatient type, I just called Dish Network and they are shipping me a replacement device with minimal pushback. The CSR just asked what steps I took to verify the HDMI was bad and I explained the steps I took (powered off all devices, tested on other HDMI devices, etc.).

They "upsold" me on DHPP so I could save the $15 shipping fee. I guess I can cancel again in the future, but now knowing how unreliable these ViP622 devices are, I think I will keep it as suggested.

I'm using component cables right now, but it doesn't quite look as good as HDMI.

No offense meant, but if I were local to you I would gladly set up three systems side-by-side and challenge you with a small "gentleman's bet" (looser buys winner a beer) that you could not visibly detect which of the 3 had HDMI vs Component (Y-Pr-Pb) cables) on a 65" or smaller screen.

I did not say that there is no difference. My bet is that the difference in picture quality is not visibly discernible to the average viewer with the naked eye on any display 65 inch or smaller, regardless of technology (plasma/lcd/rear-projection)

I will also make that same bet with you on 720P vs 1080i
  • set # 1 = 65" Mitsubishi rptv
  • set # 2 = 46" Sony 'XBR'
  • set # 3 = 50" Panasonic plasma
Viewing distance 10 feet
All 3 displays are ISF-calibrated
Program source = any Blu-Ray DVD of your choosing (except a calibration disk)

I like Dos Equis (XX)

No offense meant, but if I were local to you I would gladly set up three systems side-by-side and challenge you with a small "gentleman's bet" (looser buys winner a beer) that you could not visibly detect which of the 3 had HDMI vs Component (Y-Pr-Pb) cables) on a 65" or smaller screen.

I did not say that there is no difference. My bet is that the difference in picture quality is not visibly discernible to the average viewer with the naked eye on any display 65 inch or smaller, regardless of technology (plasma/lcd/rear-projection)

I will also make that same bet with you on 720P vs 1080i
  • set # 1 = 65" Mitsubishi rptv
  • set # 2 = 46" Sony 'XBR'
  • set # 3 = 50" Panasonic plasma
Viewing distance 10 feet
All 3 displays are ISF-calibrated
Program source = any Blu-Ray DVD of your choosing (except a calibration disk)

I like Dos Equis (XX)
I agree for the most part about HDMI, I've never had a TV over 52, But IMO Component and HDMI look the same. But alot of tv's now won't do 1080p with Component, Not that E* has much at 1080p .

As far as 1080i VS 720p on my TVs 52" and 42" about 8-10 feet viewing distance , There is no difference when the picture is fairly slow moving like a nature show or the News. But when watching Nascar or Football 720p Looks way better , no motion blur. 1080p is a much better then both 1080i and 720p, even on a 42 " set at 10 feet away.

My HDMI plug started giving me trouble a few weeks ago. I called dish tech support, and they sent me a new 622 right away. They said it was a known problem and replace my receiver.

My HDMI plug started giving me trouble a few weeks ago. I called dish tech support, and they sent me a new 622 right away. They said it was a known problem and replace my receiver.
Has anyone with a Broken 622 ever gotton a 722 shipped out instead of a 622?
Or do they just put these 622's aside to replace other 622?

Has anyone with a Broken 622 ever gotton a 722 shipped out instead of a 622?
Or do they just put these 622's aside to replace other 622?

No... I begged the tech support guy to send my a 722 instread of a 622 ... but he didn't....I received a Refurbished 622 to replace my broken 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)