My wife joined the MAC club.

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
All,

My wife joined the MAC club... We purchased a MacBook Air 13" for her. Oddly enough, I had encouraged her to buy one when she bought her previous laptop but she was not for it. Too much change, or so she thought.So far (2 days in) she's happy with the decision. Long term, who knows.

I don't like Apple changing over to the pentalobe screws -- makes it difficult to get at what is defined as a user replacable part, i.e. the memory. I'm not paying Apple's highway robbery prices for the RAM upgrade. 8GB == $45 from the local microcenter vs. a lot more from Apple. I ordered a couple of the pentalobe screwdrivers so that I can maintain the machine.

I do like the physical design and once you can remove the bottom plate you can actually replace the SSD with a larger size. Other World Computing has replacements up to 480GB in size. Not cheap (about $2 / GB) but nice to see a small market starting up with this form factor. I suspect as more and more vendors get into the ultrabook game the micro-sata (I think that's the form factor) is going to provide downward pressure on the pricing.

Cheers,

My wife joined about 6 months ago and she loves it. She is not really a member of the cult yet though. She still has to learn the secret handshake. :D

She is still learning a lot of things and I often have to help her out. But she is having a much easier time with her MBP than she has ever had with any of her Windows machines.

Are you saying you replaced the ram? It is not supposed to be upgrade able. But my 4gb air performs faster than my pro with 8gb.

All,

My wife joined the MAC club... We purchased a MacBook Air 13" for her. Oddly enough, I had encouraged her to buy one when she bought her previous laptop but she was not for it. Too much change, or so she thought.So far (2 days in) she's happy with the decision. Long term, who knows.

I don't like Apple changing over to the pentalobe screws -- makes it difficult to get at what is defined as a user replacable part, i.e. the memory. I'm not paying Apple's highway robbery prices for the RAM upgrade. 8GB == $45 from the local microcenter vs. a lot more from Apple. I ordered a couple of the pentalobe screwdrivers so that I can maintain the machine.

I do like the physical design and once you can remove the bottom plate you can actually replace the SSD with a larger size. Other World Computing has replacements up to 480GB in size. Not cheap (about $2 / GB) but nice to see a small market starting up with this form factor. I suspect as more and more vendors get into the ultrabook game the micro-sata (I think that's the form factor) is going to provide downward pressure on the pricing.

Cheers,

Did you get the 256Gb or 128GB model? I have the 256GB model and I still have about 140GB free. Not convinced I have any need for a bigger drive.

But if you look at the specs, you will find that the ram is NOT user-replaceable. It is listed as maxing at 4GB; if you are able to increase that to 8Gb, I'd love to hear how it works out.

Even with 4Gb, I find that the SSD makes the read-writes so fast that this thing runs circles around my core-i7 2.7Ghz MBP. In fact, I am so used to the speed of the air that when I go to work and use the Pro, it feels noticeably slower. Its just a rock solid machine. And for the next two years will serve me well. My next upgrade will come when there is an ipad-like retina display on it; but no rush. This was an expensive piece of hardware.

I am finding the Max to be 8 GB from a variety of sites.

I wonder if its in the category of unsorted but works?

It's the 128GB version and that will be fine for her.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

RE: Power Plug, I do not know about the older ones, but I have the 45W one for the Air and a 60W one for the Pro, and the 60W one will work perfectly fine with the Air, I researched it before testing it, and it works fine. I am not sure if the OLDER models will fit. But I don't have it either.

My wife switched in Oct and she really loves her Mac Mini. My mom switched last month and keeps telling me how much faster it is and how much she loves her new computer.

I'm still debating MacBook Pro vs MacBook Air. If I get one I would need to run a Windows 7 VM for work, but I looked at my work laptop and I'm only using maybe 40GB of space for the entire drive.

I remember reading somewhere that it isn't recommended to us a VM on the Airs because of something about the SSDs getting too much write cycles. If I can find the articles, I'll post a link.

I remember reading somewhere that it isn't recommended to us a VM on the Airs because of something about the SSDs getting too much write cycles. If I can find the articles, I'll post a link.

It's my wife. She isn't going to run any VMs. Says she should have listened to me when I suggested it before she started school up ;)

Offsetting some of the cost by selling her old laptop to a friend.

Sweet.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)