mythbuntu and Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-S-Plus 790 PCI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpankonien

Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Greetings all,
I just joined the list, I currently have a mythbuntu box (1 backend, two frontends so far, soon to be three) with a hauppauge pvr150 that works great for cable recording. I have access to some free sat dishes that are the right type for fta, but i notice no one has mentioned the hauppauge nova s plus. according to some reviews it's detected automagically by ubuntu and supported in mythv, so my plan is to install the nova s plus into the backend alongside the pvr 150. a question:

how much content is actually available on fta? (my neighbor has a fta stb, but it quits working every so often, then he has to download new codes and flash the stb. is that because they're watching stuff illegally? (i've looked at a few sites that list fta channels, doesn't look like much of interest) or am i looking in the wrong spot?

thanks to all for any advice!

yes, if they reference codes they are tapping into secure content illegally. There's some stuff out there.. depends on what you're interested in.. feeds are the reason most are into it.. but they are so randomly located its hard to use myth to record anything from them..

If you like old shows theres tons of retro stuff up on 123.. some good stuff on c band too..

thanks for the reply, that kinda reinforces the feeling i've gotten after perusing a lot of forums. (used to have a c-band dish too, but gave it away!) but if i get one for free, i'll just have top play around with it and see what's out there.

don't give up yet

Here are some lists of what's on real Free To Air satellites.
Nothing illegal here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/1098232-post3.html
All these lists show the same satellites, but with different formatting.
Our own SatGuy's list is quite up to date, and you'll eventually want to use it.
But, that first one listed is a nice intro for the beginner.

As for getting guide info, nothing is really transmitted on the satellites.
However, your box should be able to fill in the missing info from internet guide sites.

Give is a list of some dishes you have (size, pictures?) and maybe info off the LNBs.
Unless you are located in a really out-of-the-way place or close to the north pole, I'm sure the guys will be able to offer you some more recommendations for what to aim at.
Also, what are your programming interests?
Common areas might be: old movies, live news feeds, live sports feeds, children's programs, religious programming, foreign language or culture, and many more.

New member looking for DvB-S PC setup

Folks:

Hello and I just joined this great site in the hopes of finding more info regarding DvB on a PC. I already have an ATI HDTV OTA card working under Linux openSuse 10.3 (mythtv client/server config, on a AMD dual core 4800 PC) and I am thinking to adding more cards to the mythtvbackend server. While searching for cards on Ebay, I found these DvB-S cards, and thus the reason for being on this forum. Before I dive into buying/configuring a DvB-S pci card I wonder if someone in the forum can tell the following:

1 - Advise on a DvB pci card that work with Linux mythtv software

2 - I checked the lynksat site and they show a lot of Free Air TV channels and I wonder if someone of you that already a system setup can tell me if you can receive Free TV from Costa Rica on North America (Ohio area) more specifically channels 11 and 7 located at Intelsat 805 at 55.5°W, and Intelsat 3R at 43.1°W respectively.

3 - I have a dishnetwork 500 with quad LNBs (using only one for my Dish receiver), and I wonder if can I use to connect the DvB pci card, and direct the dish to the above satellites?.

Thanks in advance for your time, and I realize that while these questions maybe too basic, the answers are really important to me, so I can me a decision on whether or not access this exciting world of satellite reception.

Regards,

Luis

Status
Please reply by conversation.