n00b tech questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SFroehlich

Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
I'm in the position of coming up to speed on Direc TV for some research I'm doing. As always clarity is a little hard to come by, but I bet some of you guys have answers to these questions. Consider this a newbie question - so links to answers will be fine.

1: Hughes / DirecTV DSS vs. MPEG-2 and the transition to MPEG-4/H.264

OK, so I get the fact that DirecTV started a little too quickly to be MPEG-2 compliant, but are the DirecTV "MPEG-4" broadcasts standard H.264 streams or do they retain proprietary elements?

2: DirecTV's two new satellites are using DVB-S2?

I know DirecTV has its own 8PSK modulation standard that uses a different FEC scheme (Trubo instead of LDPC?) from DVB-S2, but Wikipedia says that the new SPACEWAY satellites that they're going to use to transmit local HDTV broadcasts will be using DVB-S2? Is this right or is it the DirecTV propprietary 8PSK "standard"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directv

3: Listing of DirecTV Set-top Boxes?

Is there an easy place to find them listed with their specs?

If those are "noob" questions, I must be an embryo....lol. But I am sure someone where will know the answers.....Take care!

SFroehlich said:
I'm in the position of coming up to speed on Direc TV for some research I'm doing. As always clarity is a little hard to come by, but I bet some of you guys have answers to these questions. Consider this a newbie question - so links to answers will be fine.

1: Hughes / DirecTV DSS vs. MPEG-2 and the transition to MPEG-4/H.264

OK, so I get the fact that DirecTV started a little too quickly to be MPEG-2 compliant, but are the DirecTV "MPEG-4" broadcasts standard H.264 streams or do they retain proprietary elements?

2: DirecTV's two new satellites are using DVB-S2?

I know DirecTV has its own 8PSK modulation standard that uses a different FEC scheme (Trubo instead of LDPC?) from DVB-S2, but Wikipedia says that the new SPACEWAY satellites that they're going to use to transmit local HDTV broadcasts will be using DVB-S2? Is this right or is it the DirecTV propprietary 8PSK "standard"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directv

3: Listing of DirecTV Set-top Boxes?

Is there an easy place to find them listed with their specs?

Try the search funtion at the top of the page, that way you can find the quotes that pertain to what you are looking for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)