Name Based Recording Discussion (L232 Software)

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I have just received word that Name Based Recording for the 522 is scheduled to start spooling this Wednesday.

This will be Dish Networks first receiver with Name based recording!

Again the software is scheduled to spool on Wednesday however as always the date can change.

BTW Remember where you heard this first. :)

(With everything going on Today I forgot to post that in my origional message) :D

ShadowEKU

Be happy with name based recording first then we can work on them to get the rest of the package which will make us all happy campers

There's setting to record new episodes only, if that's what you're talking about

Also part of the season pass function would be a list to allow you to set the priority for each timer so that if the shows time slot get changed that to a slot with 2 events already being set up for recording that it will determine which of the 3 events you would prefer to have recorded.

Another question about the Name Based recording will we have to redo all our existing timers? I would assume so I have about 70 timers currently so thats going to take some time to do but should be well worth the extra effort not having to have 5 timers for the same show to record each day since they keep changing the time slot around different time on different days Discover channel's Monster Nation can be a real pain some days record the early show some days the late show depending on what else also is being recorded.

If I remember correctly, you can set a priority level for your shows.

This way if you have Survivor and Fear factor on (and the second tuner is in use) it will record the one with the higher priotity.

For example Survivor is set to the highest priority which is a 1, however fear factor is set to a 3. Because of this Survivor will record but not fear factor.

And yet another question will the Name based recordings be limited by channel number?

Example I set up to record JAG what will I get, the current season on CBS or the current season on CBS along with the reruns on USA? It would be nice to have a option to limit the search to a specific channel for recording and also have the option to allow it to record events on any channel that I receive.

I know the best thing to do is just wait untill we see what we get for software and features but it looks like christmas is comming early this year.

speedyox said:
How long to you expect it will take to get to everyone?
If Dish's software page has the new version and the old version listed, with one of them in paranthesis (can't recall if they put the old or new in it), only "certain" receivers will get the update. THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO FORCE IT. If they simply list 2.09 as the current version, you will be updated in days. Again, there's nothing to do to speed up the process.

Aren't the "beta testers" already seeing NBR or did Dish keep it internal ??

My bet it will be set up like media center edition , record any time any channel.

Beta testers are bound by a NDA.

*CRINGE*

They better fix the old *features* before adding new ones. I skipped back to see something about the Geminid meteor showers tonight and the audio sync was terrible. It was a good 1 second off. I had a B martial Arts movie flashback. Live mode was OK, but as soon as I skipped back, it manifested itself.

Anyhow... Back to topic.. NBR would be helpful. Would that mean that it would tape a show no matter WHAT channel it aired on?

Like if I wanted to record *We Were Soldiers* and it wasn't in the EPG this week or next, would it find it in 2 to 3 weeks if it aired and then save it?

Dish will have to upgrade their EPG info too, won't they? I've seen several shows that had (NEW) in the description and have already previously aired.

Watching and waiting.... again....

Thats what I am wondering, if certain "beta testers" are already seeing this. I know that Scott was a beta tester in the past with the 721 receiver. Are you not beta testing the 522 as well?

I'm a 'beta tester,' but I haven't noticed any change lately. My 522 is still HORRIBLE with audio dropouts and A/V sync issues. You have to skip back about 5 times in a 30-minute show just to keep the audio in sync.
As far as NBR, I hope that us testers will get it, and they can continue logging our boxes. I would love to have NBR, and hopefully the new software d/l will fix (at least some of) the A/V issues...

Has anyone else noticed that the A/V sync and drop out problems seem to occur more often as the hard drive gets filled. That is with watching something off the hard drive I have very little A/V sync problem when I have less than 15 hours used on the hard drive however as the amount on the drive increases so does the amount of A/V sync problems. Then A/V drop outs seem to occur most often for me when both tuners are recording at the same time I almost always have a couple of A/V drops when both tuners start recording while I am watching a previous recorded show. The drop outs do not seem to be as dependent on the volume used on the hard drive. This is all observed in single mode as a result I usally try to keep no more than 10 to 15 hours on the hard drive. And lately I have been seeing an increase in the number of box freezes when the A/V stops and the box stops reacting to the remote. The freezes usally only last 15 to 30 seconds however they have lasted as long as a couple of minutes in the past. Overall I think the 522 has improved over the last few months but there is still a long way to go. I emailed the 522 software suport last night trying to find out if the logging software on our boxes would be changed to the Name Based software and if it would still be logging software. However it was after business hours last night so I have not received a response yet should hear today sometime I hope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts