Name Change on Account

Status
Please reply by conversation.

66mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Greeneville,TN
My wife and I are getting a divorce and she's getting the house. She wants to keep D* as her TV provider. So will I have need to completely close the account to take my name off of it and her open a new account as a new sub? If so, can she keep the current equipment or will she have to have new receivers? She wants to keep the set up we have now.

Seen this scenario many times. Accounts cannot be transferred to another name or person. Since she's getting the house you need to take your receivers with you and setup a mover at your new place. She'll have to signup as a new customer which will be beneficial for her because of the new customer pricing.

Here's the problem you're going to run into or rather she will run into. When you cancel the account which you will have to do before she can order in her name. Directv is gonna flag it for fraud and she'll have to produce a utility bill or something in her name. It may be easier for her to just switch to dish, if she insists on Directv there will be hoops to jump thru.

Taking my service with me is not an option. The landlord doesn't want satellite dishes on his rental property.
Is this an apt your moving in to or a house ....
Does the Apt have a balcony ?
He can't tell you what you can have on YOUR balcony, as long as its not mounted permanently to the structure your fine.

Home, got a spare room with a window facing the SW, if so set up in the room and shoot out the window.

All depends on how bad you want service.

OTARD. It's not just a good idea, it's the law.
OTARD doesn't automatically apply in a rental situation, only when you own the building. If the owner doesn't want a dish on the roof and you don't have a los in an exclusive area you are sol.

OTARD doesn't automatically apply in a rental situation, only when you own the building. If the owner doesn't want a dish on the roof and you don't have a los in an exclusive area you are sol.
No LOS moving into an apt is on the person moving in if D* is that important to them.
Why did the person move into a apt without a SW (in most cases) view.
This is a touchy situation, if I were an apt owner I might look into a set up that everyone can access (A dish on roof ... multi dwelling set up).
That said, not all building owners would want to do this.

No LOS moving into an apt is on the person moving in if D* is that important to them.
Why did the person move into a apt without a SW (in most cases) view.
This is a touchy situation, if I were an apt owner I might look into a set up that everyone can access (A dish on roof ... multi dwelling set up).
Already checked LOS Jimbo. Out of luck there thanks to some tress.

Call and say you paid someone to move the service to your apartment.

This will open the address for the wife to get her own account.
Wished I could. I'll be renting a house not an apartment. Already asked the landlord about a satellite dish. He was very vocal he didn't want a dish on his property period. Guess I'll have Comcast.:(

i think to get those set up the company installing usually requires tennants to exclusivity use their service, at least for a while.

Call and say you paid someone to move the service to your apartment.

This will open the address for the wife to get her own account.
Wished I could. I'll be renting a house not an apartment. Already asked the landlord about a satellite dish. He was very vocal he didn't want a dish on his property period. Guess I'll have Comcast.:(
I think Claude was saying that you could tell Directv you "moved," without actually moving your service, so that your old address would be available for your wife to sign up as a new customer, probably re-using the old dish, but with new receivers. You could always cancel your account after your wife is set up for hers. Just make sure to disconnect your receivers and take them with you, or put them in storage, before the installer arrives to set up your wife's account.

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)