NASA Mandatory HD Upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
All depends on what the local guys paid for, the HD or the SD highlights.

no they actually take the HD feed and squish it to a 4:3 spot. On C-Band there is a Nasa HD and a Nasa SD...same channel but different bug in the corner. Nasa HD is one of those channels that the "bug" is in the "HD" zone so they have to be getting the HD feed

no they actually take the HD feed and squish it to a 4:3 spot. On C-Band there is a Nasa HD and a Nasa SD...same channel but different bug in the corner. Nasa HD is one of those channels that the "bug" is in the "HD" zone so they have to be getting the HD feed

In your case, is the local news in HD ?
Here 1 channel has been for about a year now, one just went HD a month ago and the others are not HD, now I'm talking for the local NEWS, not HD over all.

In your case, is the local news in HD ?
yep. One of the 1st in the US to actually go HD.
wiki said:
On April 27, 2006, KARE became the first station in the Twin Cities (and among the first in the U.S.) to broadcast news in High Definition Television. As part of this transition, the station completely replaced its news set, originally built in 1986 and updated in the 1990s, with a new state-of-the-art backdrop. The station was still broadcasting in analog (with the news shot in a way that is still usable on the smaller 4:3 format of analog sets) until the federally mandated digital transition on June 12, 2009

Here 1 channel has been for about a year now, one just went HD a month ago and the others are not HD, now I'm talking for the local NEWS, not HD over all.
All 4 newscasts here in Minneapolis have been in HD for at least 2 years

it doesnt make sense honestly.

I have access to another CBS via antenna and they are not in HD. So for the 1st month of the baseball season they showed hilites chopped off (the bug was chopped off)

Now they squish the feed so the hilites are in letterbox (black bars on top and bottom along with the sides)

it doesnt make sense honestly.

I have access to another CBS via antenna and they are not in HD. So for the 1st month of the baseball season they showed hilites chopped off (the bug was chopped off)

Now they squish the feed so the hilites are in letterbox (black bars on top and bottom along with the sides)

This is just sad ....

I dropped a line to a friend at one of the local stations tonight to see what he has to say about it.
He's an engineer there, so he should have an interesting answer !

Last edited:
tvropro said:
I get all the Nasa master channels (yes there is more than one) on 87w C band SD & HD. Never watch them though, so no great loss if Direct Axe's it.

But I do, so yeah great loss in my opinion.

whats even more of a shame is when local newscasts that are in HD when they show a feed for NASA it has the NASA HD logo in the corner yet its black barred on the news
Ok, just one more BIGGER shame....

It's a shame when all I want to do is enjoy the countdown call of Mission Control. And, if I want to watch the launch in HD, I am FORCED to listen to newscasters foolish attempts of trying to make you think they know what they're talking about. Not to mention, silly props and uninteresting camera shots.

but between you, me and the fencepost (and whoever else wants to agree with me) why move NASA? Why not move a different channel? Heck move "JLTV" or "Hope" that is on 119 over to the 99 or 103. Then more folks can see it (since there are lots of slimline 3 LNB's around that cant see 119)

Probably because those channels are paying directv to be at that slot.

yep. One of the 1st in the US to actually go HD.

All 4 newscasts here in Minneapolis have been in HD for at least 2 years

Most likely they didn't in jest it into HD as they don't have the systems in place to do that or, they are restricted by NASA, or the personnel didn't care to in jest it in HD, or they received the feed from a remote server whom smashed the video in edit. (numerous different things could have happened. )

That would be nice but wouldn't they have move a lot of channels to make that happen?

Probably, but if they were serious about picture quality, it would be worth it.

Ok, just one more BIGGER shame....

It's a shame when all I want to do is enjoy the countdown call of Mission Control. And, if I want to watch the launch in HD, I am FORCED to listen to newscasters foolish attempts of trying to make you think they know what they're talking about. Not to mention, silly props and uninteresting camera shots.

When the NASA folks have nothing to say they say nothing. Their whole idea is to communicate only essential data. This is the oposit of commercial radio and TV. Station managers can be sacked for too much "dead air." When the commercial people have nothing to say the still make noise, as you mentioned.

Joe

The "nasa" channel should be going the way of the dodo entirely after next month anyway, if you follow the space program you know what I am refering to already, there will be no purpose to a 24/7 "nasa" channel except to further delay and for deadwood at the top to continue to collect a paycheck for sitting around doing nothing like they have already been doing unchecked for the last decade. Just more government waste. See my location.

You're right, no more space flights so what good is it?

I am sure we will still be going up; either on other vehicle types or by hitching rides; not to mention any probes or rover/landers with video on board would still be great.

NASA made the move to MPEG4 today, requiring HD Access:

Is NASA TV still available on DIRECTV?.

DIRECTV Is NASA TV still available on DIRECTV?

Yes, DIRECTV will still offer NASA TV on Channel 289. However, starting August 3, 2011, NASA TV will only be available to customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and are subscribed to HD Access ($10/month). But please note: NASA TV will remain a standard definition channel.

Its gone on 101 SD but no biggie. I get all the Nasa's (4 SD) & HD master on C band free :).

"mbarnes" said:
From DirecTV website:<br />
Yes, DIRECTV will still offer NASA TV on Channel 289. However, starting August 3, 2011, NASA TV will only be available to customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and are subscribed to HD Access ($10/month). But please note: NASA TV will remain a standard definition channel.
<br />
<br />
WTF?<br />
I have directvHD, HD access and I don't see it. And why HD and HD access for a public access SD channel?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts