NASA moved to digital

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
NASA TV - The New Digital NASA TV - 07.01.05

As of 12:01AM EDT July 1, 2005, digital NASA TV is available on AMC 6, Transponder 17C. Analog NASA TV is no longer available on satellite AMC 6, Transponder 9. Analog NASA TV will remain on AMC 7, Transponder 18C through NASA's Return to Flight mission.

What is the Change?

On July 1, NASA TV converted from a current, single analog NTSC channel to multiple channels of Standard Definition MPEG-2 digital video. General information is directly below, or you can jump down this page to specialized information:

What is different?

The new Digital NASA TV has four digital channels:

1. NASA Public Service ("Free to Air"), featuring documentaries, archival programming, and coverage of NASA missions and events;
2. NASA Education Services ("Free to Air/Addressable"), dedicated to providing educational programming to schools, educational institutions and museums;
3. NASA Media Services ("Addressable"), for broadcast news organizations; and
4. NASA Mission Operations (Internal Only)

Note: The new Digital NASA TV channels may not always have programming on every channel simultaneously.

Why the change?

The new Digital NASA TV system provides higher quality images and better use of satellite bandwidth, meaning multiple channels from multiple NASA program sources at the same time.

Am I still able to watch NASA TV on the Web?

Yes, the new digital NASA Public Service Channel will be streamed here on the Web. All you need is access to a computer.

I used to get NASA TV from my local cable or satellite service provider. Do I need to do anything?

You should be all set, although you may want to check with your local cable or satellite service provider whether it plans to continue carrying the NASA Public Service "Free to Air" Channel.

I already have my own C-band-sized satellite dish. What else do I need to get the digital NASA TV public channel?

If your C-Band-sized satellite dish is capable of receiving digital television signals, you'll still need a Digital Video Broadcast (DVB)-compliant MPEG-2 Integrated Receiver Decoder, or IRD, to get the new Digital NASA's Public Service "Free to Air" Channel.

An IRD that receives "Free to Air" programming like the new Digital NASA Public Service Channel can be purchased from many sources, including "off-the-shelf" at your local electronics store.

The new Digital NASA TV is on the same satellite (AMC 6) as the analog NASA TV was, but on a different transponder (17). In Alaska and Hawaii, we'll remain in analog on AMC 7, Transponder 18 through NASA's Return to Flight mission.

Here is additional satellite information you may find helpful:

Satellite Downlink for continental North America:

Uplink provider = Americom
Satellite = AMC 6
Transponder = 17C
72 Degrees West
Downlink Frequency: 4040 Mhz
Polarity: Vertical
FEC = 3/4
Data Rate r= 36.860 Mhz
Symbol = 26.665 Ms
Transmission = DVB
"Public" Programming:
Program = 101, Video PID = 0x0111 = 273 decimal, Audio PID = 0x0114 = 276 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x0115 = 277 decimal
"Education" Programming:
Program = 102, Video PID = 0x0121 = 289 decimal, Audio PID = 0x0124 = 292 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x0125 = 293 decimal
"Media" Programming:
Program = 103, Video PID = 0x01031 = 4145 decimal, Audio PID = 0x01034 = 4148 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x01035 = 4149 decimal
"SOMD" Programming:
Program = 104, Video PID = 0x01041 = 4161 decimal, Audio PID = 0x01044 = 4164 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x01045 = 4165 decimal

For viewers in Alaska and Hawaii, NASA TV will continue to broadcast in analog on AMC 7, Transponder 18C through the Space Shuttle's Return to Flight mission.

Satellite Downlink for Alaska and Hawaii (following the Space Shuttle's Return to Flight mission):
Uplink provider = Americom
Satellite = AMC 7
Transponder = 18C
137 Degrees West
Downlink Frequency: 4060 Mhz
Polarity: Vertical
FEC = 3/4
Data Rate = 36.860 Mhz
Symbol = 26.665 Ms
Transmission = DVB
"Public" Programming:
Program = 101, Video PID = 0x0111 = 273 decimal, Audio PID = 0x0114 = 276 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x0115 = 277 decimal
"Education" Programming:
Program = 102, Video PID = 0x0121 = 289 decimal, Audio PID = 0x0124 = 292 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x0125 = 293 decimal
"Media" Programming:
Program = 103, Video PID = 0x01031 = 4145 decimal, Audio PID = 0x01034 = 4148 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x01035 = 4149 decimal
"SOMD" Programming:
Program = 104, Video PID = 0x01041 = 4161 decimal, Audio PID = 0x01044 = 4164 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x01045 = 4165 decimal

PCR (program clock reference) informtion is included within the Video PID by the Harmonic Encoders used by NASA TV.

A 'C Band' size satellite dish is needed to receive multi-channel NASA TV. It may also be necessary to modify some of your dish hardware, such as LNBs, to optimize performance. LNB's that are "phase locked" are recommended, though many models of "non-phase locked" LNB's should work. Check with your particular manufacturer for recommendations. NASA TV will not be making vendor specific recommendations and is not responsible for providing any downlink infrastructure.

LNB Recommended Minimum Specifications:
Frequency Stability: +/- 1.0 MHz
SSB Phase Noise:
Offset dBc/Hz
1 kHz -60
10 kHz -75
100 kHz -85

Voltage: 15 to 24 VDC
Current: 100 to 250 ma.

I wish NASA TV went HD... Some of their images have a very high resolution and look awesome in HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts