NASA TV Moved to 105W....87W feed to leave 12/18

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For some reason I have to enter 28065 symbol rate. If I enter 28068 I get no signal. Usually posted coordinates are fine but for some reason this one is an oddball... at least on my Ultra. I get 93-97%Q on 105 about the same as on AMC-3 NASA TP. HQ(101-105)-Loop; 4 channels as expected, AC3 audio and 105 in HD. Used to be on AMC-6 and AMC-7 a while back maybe they want a more central satellite than AMC-3?
C.

73Signal/99Quality on the 10' sami, icon receiver. Looks very good here. Glad I still had that satellite position saved, since I didn't have anything scanned in there.

It would be nice if NASA would say what they're doing. I'm glad I never did bother to buy and install a C-band dish just for them like I intended to at the beginning of the year. Not that I have any problem manually reaiming dishes, but I would've put the pole in the wrong spot if I was aiming for 87 vs. 105.

Looks like they are trimming the expenses a bit... moving the LIMO channel to a temporary Ku feed rather than lighting up that c-band TP 24/7. Also they didn't give the networks much lead time on the AMC-3 to AMC-18 change.
That is one common denominator in the FTA hobby... change is constant and unavoidable.
I'm just happy they are still broadcasting!
-C.

bummer....so now I have to see how well I can get 105 now. Hopefully it comes in better

The LIMO channel pretty much was just color bars so thats good they are making it a feed only. It would be interesting if they use 105W KU for it

Makes me wonder if that set of NASA feeds that was on 99w ku for a week or two wasn't some kind of test they were doing...

The NASA info on the new location is there

Effective Dec. 19, 2011, NASA TV will be available in continental North America, Alaska and Hawaii on AMC-18C. A Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) compliant Integrated Receiver Decoder (IRD) is needed for reception. NASA Television's Public, HD, Media and Education channels will be available at these parameters:

Uplink provider = AMC 18 C
Transponder = 3 C
105 degrees W
C-Band
Downlink Frequency: 3760
Downlink Polarity: Vertical
Transmission Format = DVB-S, 4:2:0
FEC = ¾
Data Rate = 38.80 MHz
Symbol Rate = 28.0681
Modulation: QPSK/DVB-S
MPEG-2 encoding

"Public Channel" Programming:
SD Program = 101 (HQ1)
Compression Format = MPEG-2
Video PID = 0x111 hex / 273 decimal
AC-3 PID = 0x115 hex / 277 decimal
MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x114 hex / 276decimal

"HD Channel" Programming:
HD Program = 105
Video PID = 0x52 hex / 82 decimal
AC-3 Audio PID = 0xEE hex / 238 decimal
MPEG-1 Layer II Audio PID= 0x53 hex / 83 decimal

"Media Channel" Programming:
SD Program = 103 (HQ3)
Video PID = 0x1031 hex / 4145 decimal
AC-3 Audio PID = 0x1035 hex /4149 decimal
MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x1034 hex /4148 decimal

"Education Channel" Programming:
SD Program = 102 (HQ2)
Video PID = 0x121 hex / 289 decimal
AC-3 Audio PID = 0x124 hex /292 decimal
MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x125 /293 decimal

well now I can lock it...but its lower signal than on 87W

87W was a 65-66 on the Geosat
105W is 46-48 max now...stable though

From the NASA TV FAQs:

I have my own C-band-sized satellite dish. What else do I need to get the digital NASA TV Public Channel?

An Integrated Receiver Decoder, or IRD that receives "free-to-air" programming like the NASA TV Public Channel can be purchased from many sources, including "off-the-shelf" at your local electronics store.

I like the fact that they do acknowledge us, sort of. But my "local electronics store" sells no such thing. Wishful thinking, though.

yep I agree

105W must be a bugger because now that I am tuned into it I still cant get any S2 on it. But next door at 107W no issues....heck even 103 works fine on S2

Finally got around to re scanning 105 and I have it pretty good here.

Looks like no more Nasa for me. (And the reason I got my first dish back in the late '80s). I have always had big problems with the 105W slot and it appears to be a neighbors tree. Oh well maybe the next good wind storm to come through! lol

So they finally end up on a super-strong satellite and now they decide they can't afford it. Wonderful.

What are the chances of getting 105 on a 6-foot dish? That's what I was going to get for 87, now I'm glad I didn't.

I can't wait to visit the fridge and see what the guy from SES has to say for himself. Just yesterday he said that he couldn't reveal what the feed on 105 was for, but the one on 87 wasn't going anywhere!

Not good at all. There's no way my fixed PortaBUD is moving from 87W, not with MeTV and ThisTV there. It seems as though folks are having trouble receiving it on 105W with six footers. That leaves me with no alternative but to upgrade my dish.

One of the reasons for the move may be that SES 2 C Band is no longer viewable in Hawaii. There appears to be a spot beam for the ku side and it booms out here, but there is nothing on C band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts