NASA TV Public/Media Channels Transitioning to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Just received this from NASA today: Jan. 13, 2012 Fred Brown Headquarters, Washington 202-358-0713 MEDIA ADVISORY: M12-007 NASA TV'S PUBLIC, MEDIA CHANNELS TRANSITIONING TO HD WASHINGTON -- Beginning Feb. 17, 2012, NASA Television's Public and Media channels will transmit their respective content in high definition. NASA Television's Public Channel (101), the channel most often carried by cable and satellite service providers, provides digital coverage of NASA missions and events, as well as documentaries, archival and other special programming. NASA TV's Media Channel (103) provides mission coverage, news conferences and relevant video and audio materials to local, national and international news-gathering organizations. NASA TV's Education Channel (102) will continue in standard definition. The current NASA TV HD Channel (105) will cease service. For complete NASA TV downlink information, visit: NASA - NASATV -end- Big picture - appears channels 101 and 103 will be changing to HD streams, channel 105 (which typically is channel 101 in HD format except for a few special feeds) will be going away. Those who still have SD-only receivers should be able to use channel 102.

Last edited:
They're the reason I finally gave in and bought a digital receiver, lol. A die-hard c-bander from the late 80's, I wonder how much longer I would've waited to buy an fta receiver if they hadn't dropped the analog.

Cool, now we will have two channels playing the same content, in HD.;)
Two channels playing different content in HD. It's not very often the public and media channels have the same content in HD simultaneously unless it was like the shuttle missions or currently live events like ISS crew/supply launches or planetary mission launches/major events. The media file going HD is good for me who likes to snag video file items in HD as I get a choice of more airings to record from the media channel instead of the occasional airing on the public channel.

sweet. This saves bandwidth (well allows them to utilize it better) by dropping the SD simulcast of the main channel and added a 2nd HD feed :)

Two channels playing different content in HD. It's not very often the public and media channels have the same content in HD simultaneously unless it was like the shuttle missions or currently live events like ISS crew/supply launches or planetary mission launches/major events. The media file going HD is good for me who likes to snag video file items in HD as I get a choice of more airings to record from the media channel instead of the occasional airing on the public channel.

I admit I am referring back to when we had shuttle missions. It seemed like the coverage was on all the NASA channels. I moved my stationary C-Band dish from 87W shortly after the shuttle program concluded. I haven't tried their new home on 105W yet. Maybe I'll have a look one of these weekends when I have time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)