NASA TV

PHXHoward

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
PHX
Hi everybody. I'm a bit confused about NASA TV. Reading on Wikipedia, it looks as though there are three channels. Two of which are in high definition. The only thing I ever see on Dish Network is a show called education hour which is clearly geared towards children. Does this mean that we only receive the broadcasts of the education channel? Is the public channel an option even in standard definition?

I get my astronomy fix from the Science Channel but it would be wonderful if NASA TV could supplement that with some useful information for adults.

no you get the "public" channel

NASA Television’s Public Channel (channel 101), the "NASA TV" most often carried by cable and satellite service providers, provides coverage of NASA missions and events, plus documentaries, archival and other special programming.

NASA TV’s Media Channel (channel 103) provides mission coverage, news conferences and relevant video and audio materials to local, national and international news-gathering organizations.

102 is the educational channel

All 3 are on big dish (C-Band)

from the nasa faq

What is NASA Television?

NASA Television is actually three accessible digital channels:

NASA Public, transmitting in HD, features coverage of NASA missions and events, plus documentaries, archival and other special programming. This is the "NASA TV" most often carried by cable and satellite service providers.

NASA Education provides programming to schools, educational institutions and science museums.

NASA Media provides coverage in HD of news conferences and relevant video and audio materials to national and international news-gathering organizations.

I could have done without the insult harshness but thanks both of you for responding.

Whew... For a second I was about to ask what was wrong with IceBerg's informative responses that I also learned something from? Then I saw a deleted post. So never mind.

NASA TV, at least for me, was more fun and exciting when there were still space shuttles going up and down. Now, they don't have much to cover. No idea how much they cover the ISS, every time I tune it, it's a kid's education show, so I stopped bothering to tune in.

Really excited to have NASA TV. I've scrolled forward through the program guide looking for documentaries and such but all 24 hours are listed as "Education Hour" which had lead me to believe that it was the education feed. Iceberg let me know that we are seeing the public feed. Makes sense that when there are not launches or other activities, they would fill the time with educational programming. Important to get children excited about science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts