NasaTV from DirectTV (again)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

protcron

Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Hello FTA Masters. I posted a few months back , and have finally had the time to get some things done.

Just a quick recap, I have a DirectTV set up that came with the house. I do not have DirectTV, nor do I want it. I have an unactivated DirectTV receiver, an oval dish and a triple lnb pointed at 101, 110, and 119, I believe. I also have a ..... Diseq powered, splitter something or another that was also there. I don't have it available, but it takes three of the inputs from lnbs and put's them into different wires to go around the house.
Well, I was hunting the local Craiglist and I found two Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra's for $10 each. Yeah me!!!
Anyway, my goal is only to get NASATV. Eventually I am going to either buy a new meter sized dish and orient it, but that will be when I have a ladder and can afford the dish and LNB.

My question is, using one of these receivers to try to get NasaTV, will I run into any problems? Should I be aware of anything? Can anyone give me a step by step, as these came with no manuals? Or just point me to a place that might have more information on the set up?

Thanks in advance.

The DirecTV receiver wont work

Also the dish on the roof will have to be reaimed. The only LNB that is of worth on those is the 101 LNB so you would have t reaim it to 119..very doable :)

Setup on the lifetime is as such
select Echo 7
LNB is STANDARD
2nd line (LNB LO) is 11250
LNB power is ON
rest can be set to off or disable

select the NASA transponder from the list (12372 H 20000) and aim the dish

Well, I was hunting the local Craiglist and I found two Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra's for $10 each. Yeah me!!!

you also might want to flash the software back to the factory leagl stuff. I have a feeling they were used for "other" things.

Even if you don't they still will work fine :)

Ok, I tested one receiver last night. It was factory legal, as far as I could tell. I was able to see the picture that said "Dish Network" but no other stations came in (scrambled). Many radio stations came in though.

The receiver made it easier to understand what Iceberg was talking about. In some of the menu's I can see what the channel was receiving. So for instance NasaTV had no bar indicating reception, but a lot of the NBA channels had a full bar, but were scrambled.

I'm going to test the other receiver tomorrow before I do anything else, to see it's status. Further, this weekend I will try to reorient the dish. Does anyone have any tips on doing that?

I believe it's a phase II plus dish. The switch is..... well I don't have that.

I'm going to test the other receiver tomorrow before I do anything else, to see it's status. Further, this weekend I will try to reorient the dish. Does anyone have any tips on doing that?
Check at the top of the forum for thelist
you can pick the satellite aiming tool and put in your city/state or lat/long and it will show the elevation for 119.

Also I would take the dish and skew it to 90 so all 3 LNB's are the level. Makes it easier to aim the dish. If you are behind the dish the RIGHT LNB is the one to aim at 119. When using multiple LNB's they are backwards than what they are in the sky :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)