NASCAR Fans who have Dish, time to get mad, NASCAR Nationwide Race at Richmond to be televised in SD

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
As you can tell from my title, this is an heads up for us NASCAR fans, that this Friday Night's Nationwide Series race at Richmond will be forced to be televised on one of the least favorite ESPN network, ESPNews, due to NBA Playoffs on ESPN and the NFL Draft on ESPN 2(which is normally the host of the NASCAR Races that aren't marquee enough to be on ESPN or ABC stations across the US).

And with the current dispute with Disney that has pretty much removed ESPNews HD from the Dish lineup and it not coming back in the next few months, you gonna have to either deal with SD only for this race or miss it or wait until the Thursday afternoon replay next week on Speed to see this race in HD for those who prefer the much better HD to the old and outdated SD.

I remember a few years ago, the Richmond race was moved from the ESPN family of networks over to Speed due to this same issue of having the NFL Draft coverage (which ESPN shares with NFL Network) and the NBA Playoffs opening round series (which they could had let TNT had the Friday night game instead). except, I guess this time ESPN didn't want to ruin it's title of exclusive home of the Nationwide Series.

If it wasn't for WWE SmackDown, i would watch the Race live but when SmackDown's on, Wrestling more high priority with me over Racing (except the 2012 Daytona 500, which was a rare Big Race force to an Monday Night due to weather related thing.).

I bet NASCAR would love it more if it could ask ESPN to do a simulcast of the race on both ESPNews and Speed (soon to become Fox Sports 1).

So sorry to those who will not watch the SD feed of any channel that they will have to miss this one due to ESPNews not being in HD on Dish (blame Disney for this one).

If I was a huge NASCAR fan that would suck. I would still watch it though. Luckily I care more about the NFL Draft.

I dont get why they need two stations (ESPN2 and NFL Net) to show the draft....I mean do folks really care about rounds 3 & 4 of the draft??

I dont get why they need two stations (ESPN2 and NFL Net) to show the draft....I mean do folks really care about rounds 3 & 4 of the draft??

I agree, but I think they get great ratings for a 3 and 4 round of a draft in comparasion to other things

I'm not as big a Nascar fan as I was yrs ago. I try and watch at least part of all Sprint cup races. I'll say this. I don't watch any SD programming. If the program I'm interested in is in SD only, I don't watch.

I agree it sucks, but could be worse...anyone been around long enough to remember back when NFL Draft coverage always bumped the Cup races in Wilkesboro to be shown tape-delayed instead of live....even afte prett-much the whole season was televised live every week? I believe those were the last time Cup races weren't all shown live as they are now. Used to pi$$ me off every year. I can live with a race in SD, as long as its live coverage. (Of course, it IS a NNS race, which likely means another Busch-lap-the-field event anyways, the way this season is going. Ugh.)

I'm not as big a Nascar fan as I was yrs ago.

I don't think you are alone. all race series, nascar, indy, f1 are just not the same as they used to be. I used to live for indy car races in the late 80's to the mid 90's before Tony George sold out to the nascar rednecks and let them race at indy. then split the series, which never recovered.
there is just not the same personality drivers as there used to be in any of the series.....

I thought Dish won that legal battle and the channels were coming back to HD soon and ESPNU in HD or are they waiting till end of year for contract talks.

Basically, ESPN is only commenting on the draft, they are not covering the actual announcement picks. NFL has the actual pick announcements, but I get your point that it is a total waste of time and channel space for both of them to cover the draft.

Basically, ESPN is only commenting on the draft, they are not covering the actual announcement picks. NFL has the actual pick announcements, but I get your point that it is a total waste of time and channel space for both of them to cover the draft.

exactly. But since ESPN "did it first" (cover the draft) I guess they'd rather show that then NASCAR

I agree it sucks, but could be worse...anyone been around long enough to remember back when NFL Draft coverage always bumped the Cup races in Wilkesboro to be shown tape-delayed instead of live....even afte prett-much the whole season was televised live every week? I believe those were the last time Cup races weren't all shown live as they are now. Used to pi$$ me off every year. I can live with a race in SD, as long as its live coverage. (Of course, it IS a NNS race, which likely means another Busch-lap-the-field event anyways, the way this season is going. Ugh.)

I'm with you. My preference is obviously HD but I haven't watched many Nationwide races this year as Sprint guys are winning them all and I like a little more competition. I just want it live. Turns out the one I missed had a post race fight. :(

Perhaps NASCAR should deduct points won in the Nationwide Series from the Sprint Cup Series points if a Sprint Cup Series driver earns them to encourage drivers to stay put.

I have always been concerned about the Sprint Cup drivers poaching on the Nationwide territory.

Keep them seperate.

The issue is "supposedly" if no cup guys are in there (edit: "good" cup guys) folks wont come

this week there were 4 "good" cup guys, 5 cup guys (guys who are usually start and parkers and the only reason they run cup is to fund the nationwide) and one part time guy (Bayne)
The top 4 finishers were the 4 "good" cup guys

Perhaps NASCAR should deduct points won in the Nationwide Series from the Sprint Cup Series points if a Sprint Cup Series driver earns them to encourage drivers to stay put.

I have always been concerned about the Sprint Cup drivers poaching on the Nationwide territory.

Keep them seperate.

I agree, race in one of the other, but not both!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)