National Geographics HD

pederb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Oakland, CA
This might be old but yesterday there was ad's for National Geographic in HD coming 2006. And then a 800 number to call. :up

pederb said:
This might be old but yesterday there was ad's for National Geographic in HD coming 2006. And then a 800 number to call. :up

It's been playing for a couple of weeks as far as I can tell. I was was watching Explorer at the beginning of the month and saw it.

Well, we know that National Geographic is part owned by FOX. Which also happens to be owned by News Corp. Who also happens to own DirectTV. News Corp buys satellite systems all over the world to make sure that their content gets carried.

So I would expect that DirectTV will have it from day one. I also don't expect that to effect Dish Network carrying it. Dish had Discovery HD Theater and TNT-HD the day that each repectively launched. Will NatGeo also be a day one channel? I don't know.

I called the number. The recording told me that at the time I called, Dish Network no plans of carrying the channel. Call my satellite company. That was about 3 weeks ago. It may have changed by now. I really don't know.

Cyclone said:
Well, we know that National Geographic is part owned by FOX. Which also happens to be owned by News Corp. Who also happens to own DirectTV. News Corp buys satellite systems all over the world to make sure that their content gets carried.

So I would expect that DirectTV will have it from day one. I also don't expect that to effect Dish Network carrying it. Dish had Discovery HD Theater and TNT-HD the day that each repectively launched. Will NatGeo also be a day one channel? I don't know.

So do I, but it's not guaranteed. Starz is owned by Liberty Media who are big investors in News Corp, but DirecTV doesn't have Starz HD yet.

GeorgeLV said:
So do I, but it's not guaranteed. Starz is owned by Liberty Media who are big investors in News Corp, but DirecTV doesn't have Starz HD yet.

And NewsCorp set up the poison pill in response to increased investment by Liberty Media in NewsCorp.

I would expect NatGeo HD to be carried by D* on the first day, provided there are no engineering issues.

There's a thread in the C-Band forum that it's up and testing now.

And it wouldn't make much sense for News Corp. to rollout HD channels that will only serve to enhance D*'s competitors' HD offering.

But like Joe said, the combination of contractual issues with other providers along with engineering issues at D* could give others a jump.

National Geographic HD will NOT be on Dish considering they already carry two channels like it in HD, see Discovery HD and Equator HD from VOOM.

Sarang said:
National Geographic HD will NOT be on Dish considering they already carry two channels like it in HD, see Discovery HD and Equator HD from VOOM.

They are adding two more sports channels in HD so that makes 3 HD sports channels so why not 3 science HD channels? :confused:

Plus, I don't think that Discovery and Equator cover all that NG would. For starters, Equator doesn't have any wildlife programs that I've seen, and Discovery has too much reality shows such as the home improvement.

I think that NG could fill a niche without interfering with any of the current channels.

I have to say I'm surprised Turb. I thought the aforementioned channels would have that covered. For extra HD I myself would like to see MBC-HD or another music channel in HD NON MTV and foreign.

Sarang said:
I have to say I'm surprised Turb. I thought the aforementioned channels would have that covered. For extra HD I myself would like to see MBC-HD or another music channel in HD NON MTV and foreign.

What is MBC-HD?

DWS44 said:
What is MBC-HD?

Korean network. I'm mainly interested in them for "Music Camp" but if RaveHD would offer a show like it for K-Pop musicians in full res. I'd be interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)