Native and Resolutions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
I still don't completely understand how these two settings work together. If turning Native on, are the resolutions selected irrelevant since that's essentially telling the receiver to pass the picture through unadulterated? And if turning Native off you're basically telling the receiver to do any scaling so I'm not sure why it gives you the option of choosing more than 1 resolution since all HD TVs are essentially one resolution (although will scale as well) and it would seem to make sense to choose the one that matches your TV. What am I missing here???

Native on or off is pretty much all about where the resolution conversion is taking place and should be chosen by what converts better for those that can actually discern that.

With Native On no conversion is done by the SAT receiver, it is done by either an AVR (if you have one), or the TV.

The TV will only actually show its native resolution and will do any conversion needed to attain that.

When I had D* and my 54" Panny plasma, the TV did a better job of conversion, so I used Native On and selected the resolutions the plasma could deal with. When I switched to the DLP recently, I found that my Denon AVR did a better job so I left Native On and let the Denon do the conversion.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, I understand that part of it however. I just don't understand what affect the Resolutions chosen has on the Native setting. Seems the Resolutions would be irrelevant if set to Native On, and seems you'd only choose one resolution if Native Off depending on what type of display you have (in most cases is now 1080p).

In general the best way to use it with Native On is to select all the resolutions your TV can deal with. That way the SAT receiver is not doing conversions to anything.

That means that if the TV can handle 480i/720p/1080i/1080p you would select them. Yeah I know the HDDVR doesn't really allow for selection 1080p, but will automagically select it if you select 1080i and the TV can handle 1080p.

That way if you have a 480p SD program, that signal is sent unchanged to your TV. But if say you selected Native On and 720p, the SAT receiver would upscale the 480p and then the TV would further upscale to 1080i.

With Native Off usually you select the highest resolution your TV can handle.

OK. I was working off memory and I'm old! :)

While your HDDVR has 1080p, it only does it with PPV and some VOD. No broadcast or cable type channel does 1080p natively.

Native is nice because the resolution will change depending on the channel your on.

I have a 13 year old Sony WEGA CRT with 16x9 enhanced mode.

Works great because on SD the tv displays 4x3 and when going to HD it automatically goes to 16x9 enhanced and puts it in letterbox.

Couldn't do that with Dish and ended up watching everything in SD because it was too much of a hassle to change between inputs on the tv

I think what lparsons was talking about is the lights on the recvr, not the boxes in the menu.
There are No 1080p lights on the recvrs.
At least from the HR24's and down.

Ah, that makes sense; I have a checkbox but no light on the front panel.

I still can't say I understand how those checkboxes should be set though.

I think what lparsons was talking about is the lights on the recvr, not the boxes in the menu.
There are No 1080p lights on the recvrs.
At least from the HR24's and down.

Ah, that makes sense; I have a checkbox but no light on the front panel.

I still can't say I understand how those checkboxes should be set though.

Correction, there ARE 1080p lights on the HR24's !

Look closely ...

Correction, there ARE 1080p lights on the HR24's !

Look closely ...
I probably should've noted I have an HR22...which leads me back to my original question of why would you ever want to choose more than one resolution with Native Off (seems you'd only want to choose the resolution that matches your TV), and why would you have to choose any of them with Native On (since it just passes the original resolution from the channel)?

Native mode is rather confusing and probably why most devices don't offer the feature.

As was stated early on, if you find that your AVR or TV does a better job, use native mode. Otherwise, ignore it. If you find that your experience suffers due to switching delays in native mode, you need to weigh that against any improvement in PQ.

The different resolutions don't come into play with native off, so don't get an ulcer over it.

Native does slow down channel changing.

On one TV I have it on as its not too bad. On another TV I have it off as that one is slow as molasses when switching resolutions.

Gotta play with it and see. I use native and only select 720p and up so the GUI still works right - where possible.

Older receivers didn't have a dedicated 1080p LED so they illuminated both the 720p and 1080i LEDs when playing back 1080p PPV/VOD.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)