Native Pass Through Resolution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Any word on Native Pass Through resolution for the VIP receivers? (vip222)

I remember a thread not that long ago about this.

I would imagine tha this is not high on their list of priorities. THey are going to put out hard drive external support first, then they have to start on DISH ONLINE service with ethernet and I think they mentioned folders were coming this summer too. Besides with every software update they create more problems that have to be fixed first,before they move on to something new.

Im beginning the think they've forgotten it all together. Its no biggie, just irritating when I go from HD to SD and have to hit menu-6-8. Sending SD channels in 1080i to my tv gives me a not so hot result.

You could always run the rca jacks from the sat receiver to the vcr and watch the tv input that has vcr. I have mine run to the vcr and then to my upconverting dvd recorder. It is connected to hdmi too so I can just change my input on my a/v receiver to dvd and watch sd channels through the vcr to the dvd recorder by hdmi and I get a better upconverted picture to 720p or 1080i.

You could always run the rca jacks from the sat receiver to the vcr and watch the tv input that has vcr. I have mine run to the vcr and then to my upconverting dvd recorder. It is connected to hdmi too so I can just change my input on my a/v receiver to dvd and watch sd channels through the vcr to the dvd recorder by hdmi and I get a better upconverted picture to 720p or 1080i.

I kind of have the same hook up, only the sd output (s-video) going to the sd input on the TV, but I've got this weird color fluctuation going on with the sd output on the 222 that no one seems to be able to figure out. I've got it on a thread here. It doesn't seem to be doing it on the HD output (component). It would be nice to not have to change inputs between sd and HD channels.

Im beginning the think they've forgotten it all together. Its no biggie, just irritating when I go from HD to SD and have to hit menu-6-8. Sending SD channels in 1080i to my tv gives me a not so hot result.
What TV ?

( That is usually more relevant for a signature than which dish you are using... )

Then your 622 should be set to output 720p, not 1080i.

Maybe that's why the 480i channels look bad, because you are doing:

480i->1080i->720p

I know this man!

They look bad on 720p too.

I refuse to let the box do the upconversion.

If Im on SD, I change to 480i.

If Im on ESPN's or NatGeoHD, the box is on 720p. If Im on any other HD channel, the box is set to 1080i. Im more comfortable allowing my TV to do the work, which is why I think not having native passthru is galacticly stupid on E*'s part.

I mean the old arse SA8300's that Comcast uses will do native.

If Im on ESPN's or NatGeoHD, the box is on 720p. If Im on any other HD channel, the box is set to 1080i. Im more comfortable allowing my TV to do the work, which is why I think not having native passthru is galacticly stupid on E*'s part.

But that's not what's happening.

If you set the box to 1080i, then:

622: 1440x1080i -> 1920x1080i
TV: 1920x1080i -> 1280x720p

If you set the box to 720p, then:

622: 1440x1080i -> 1280x720p
TV: No conversion needed

So, if you keep your box set to 720p, then:

- 1 conversion instead of 2 conversions
- TV scaler is not used
- No upconversion (which introduces more distortion than downconversion, because it has to add content that is not present)

I bought a model of TV that was $100 more because it had a better scaler, and yet it always looks a little better - even on 1080i channels - when the box is set to 720p (which is also my TV's resolution).

Why in the hell would they make it take 1440 to 1920? Not saying you're wrong, just stating thats dumb.

I wonder if the HR20 does the same thing on native, I assume so.

If thats the case I see your point on the HD stuff.

Im thinking if its on a 1080i channel and I change it to 1080i, it wont mess with it.

I see your point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)