Native Pass Through With 811 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
I just got an 811 from E*. Is there anyway to set the box for native pass through of the signal ? I liked on the VOOM box ( and my SA4200HD cable box) that you could set the box to pass through all the signals at their native format and let the TV do the work. I like my TV to do the stretching rather than have the box stretch. The box stretches badly. Can I set it for native pass through ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately no, there isn't (although a number of folks on this board have requested it).

IMO it's best to watch:

1. HD channels via the 811's HD outputs (DVI, component). Use the 811's setup menu to make the output match your TV (1080i, 720p)

2. SD channels via the 811's SD outputs (composite, s-video) and then have your TV do the the upscaling.

This most likely means you'll need to switch inputs on your TV when switching from watching SD channels to HD channels (and vice-versa). This pain is worth it, I think.

I have the 811 hooked to my Samsung DLP using DVI. I watch both HD and SD this way.

What is the advantage of having DVI for HD and S-video for SD? As you point out there is the hassle of switching TV inputs every channel change from HD to SD.

"What is the advantage of having DVI for HD and S-video for SD?"

The advantage is that my television (and many others) does a much better job of line-doubling the SD picture than the 811 does. Basically, you get much crisper SD picture this way.

The advantage is that my television (and many others) does a much better job of line-doubling the SD picture than the 811 does. Basically, you get much crisper SD picture this way.

Ok, next question....what is the "line doubling" you talk about on the SD picture, and will it make a difference on my Samsung DLP.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks for the help. They definitely should add native pass through on a software upgrade. It is far superior than what they have now.

Lucky said:
Thanks for the help. They definitely should add native pass through on a software upgrade. It is far superior than what they have now.

I noticed this issue right away on the 811. It is pretty annoying since all of the STBs I used for D* allowed for native pass through and of course the Voom box also did this correctly.

I find the less than 48 hour program guide on the 811 nearly useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts