Native Pass-Through

veeper2006

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
As we hear the ring of bells and the hoofbeats of reindeer we again welcome the holiday season. And with that this year will be an explosion of HDTV sales.

To Dish's credit -- they have focused quite a bit on HD. But with their VIP622 they seem to have forgotten the small issue of NATIVE PASS-THROUGH.

I would be the first to say that it would be a shame for Charlie to be branded a scrooge for not implementing Native Pass-Through on the 622. BUT - this fix has been in the pipeline for quite awhile, and yet remains undone. And with thousands of new HDTV customers out there plugging in their HDTV for the first time Xmas morning only to discover that the VIP622 that they are attached to won't allow for Native Pass-Through ----- well, let's say that scrooge just might be considered a darn nice guy compared to charlie.

So, what do you think folks -- don't you think we need to let charlie know we don't want him to be characterized as a Scrooge. We want to appreciate him, thank him - and yes make him more of a millionaire than he already is.

Any comments on this Christmas tale, will be greatly appreciated.

How many TVs truly display multiple resolutions ?? Most, I thought, up/down-convert to the set's native resolution. Just about all sets say they accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and so on. The key is, "accept". They still convert it to another resolution in most cases.

How many TVs truly display multiple resolutions ?? Most, I thought, up/down-convert to the set's native resolution. Just about all sets say they accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and so on. The key is, "accept". They still convert it to another resolution in most cases.

But if your tv does a better job converting the signal than the receiver, wouldn't you want it to do the job?

In the perfect world, I think "native pass through" should be offered by E* as an option under your receiver's preference settings where you could enable or disable it. That would made everyone happy so people that have TVs with better built-in converters could choose to enable it but also would allow people with older sets (stuck at one resolution) to disable it.

Now only if E* would deliver it as promised many times in the past...

Last edited:
Santa has added a couple more HDTVs already this season at our house. I guess he wanted to get the old folks out of the way before he needs to make a package drop run for the kids! In any event, I have tried feeding a new HP LCD HDTV 720P or 1080i inputs from a new VIP622, trying both HDMI and component inputs. Best picture quality (to my eyes) comes from always feeding a 1080i signal from the VIP622 via component, even when the source was 720P (like ESPN-HD). My original HDTV (Loewe) does not support 720P input. So, in my case, I am not sure that the pass-through feature would be of any value to me.

Last edited:
We've multiple threads on this issue. It seems like a no-brainer, and one that would be extremely simple to execute. It would do nothing for me as my TV does not accept 720p, but many TVs have better converters than what Dish is using in their receivers, so they should have the option of using them.

I would prefer to get the 480 signal when it's 480. I have more options on stretching or skewing the display to how I want to view it.

Most TV's don't offer as many options on 720 and 1080 pictures.

I would prefer to get the 480 signal when it's 480. I have more options on stretching or skewing the display to how I want to view it.

Most TV's don't offer as many options on 720 and 1080 pictures.

I seocnd this. My mits leaves most options out on 720 or higher

480, give me 480, like my Comcast box does

Most HDTV's sold in the last two years support everything. But like others have said, it is much better to have your TV or video processor do the conversion then the 622. :D

I use a iScan VP50 scaler which is FAR superior to the 622's.

Most HDTV's sold in the last two years support everything.
Again, "support" doesn't mean "output". I don't dispute what you're saying either, but do you have examples ?? I'll download the specs or manual if you tell me a few models.
....it is much better to have your TV or video processor do the conversion then the 622.
I certainly don't dispute that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)