Native Resolutiom Pass Through (Revisited #3)

I had Directv a few years ago and always kept my receiver on native also. There might be a slight delay while the resolution changes but I didn't think it was that noticeable. There is already a delay when switching channels on satellite compared to cable.The only reason I would really know it was switching resolutions is because there would be some lines flashing across the screen during the slight delay.

I would like the option to be able to turn native resolution on too. I don't want my choices limited because someone else doesn't know what they are doing. I would think people that didn't know anything about this stuff would just stay out of the options to begin with.

Next they should take away the option for SAP because someone who only speaks English might turn it on. I like having options.

Actually, there are problems reported (and I do experience this myself) with using Native and the subsequent drop in picture when connected to an HDMI switcher. In fact, it is NOT unusual, particularly for MonoPrice HDMI switchers. An HDMI switcher is the common man's affordable alternative to getting an HT receiver the HDTV's rolling off the factories TODAY have FEWER HDMI inputs than the past few years--again, the presumption of an HT receiver or HDMI switch. A fair number of times, say about 1 out of 8 times, the switchers will LOSE the signal entirely and one has to power down, the up the TV or whatever PITA solution people have for it. This will certainly cause a number of calls to Dish CSR's for a problem that is NOT Dish's fault and a feature to appease a very tine minority who appear no where near ready to leave Dish over this matter. The engineers or Charlie may have decided to not even go there. Yeah, Joe Blow read, or is told by his techy friends, that Native is the way to go, so he invokes in on the DVR only have it drop the picture far too many times and blames Dish, but he doesn't know enough to know it is the HDMI switcher, not Dish.

I would love the option of Native, but would prefer Charlie to focus in the REALLY important deal-breaking matters such as getting the XiP 813 ready for prime time, getting all the Sling devices out (Sling Extender) and working well, fixing the ViP 922, etc. a TON of far more important matters than the old Native bit that in today's situation hardly anyone is going to notice even the slightest difference in REAL WORLD viewing.

Last edited:
Actually, there are problems reported (and I do experience this myself) with using Native and the subsequent drop in picture when connected to an HDMI switcher. In fact, it is NOT unusual, particularly for MonoPrice HDMI switchers. An HDMI switcher is the common man's affordable alternative to getting an HT receiver the HDTV's rolling off the factories TODAY have FEWER HDMI inputs than the past few years--again, the presumption of an HT receiver or HDMI switch. A fair number of times, say about 1 out of 8 times, the switchers will LOSE the signal entirely and one has to power down, the up the TV or whatever PITA solution people have for it. This will certainly cause a number of calls to Dish CSR's for a problem that is NOT Dish's fault and a feature to appease a very tine minority who appear no where near ready to leave Dish over this matter. The engineers or Charlie may have decided to not even go there. Yeah, Joe Blow read, or is told by his techy friends, that Native is the way to go, so he invokes in on the DVR only have it drop the picture far too many times and blames Dish, but he doesn't know enough to know it is the HDMI switcher, not Dish.

I would love the option of Native, but would prefer Charlie to focus in the REALLY important deal-breaking matters such as getting the XiP 813 ready for prime time, getting all the Sling devices out (Sling Extender) and working well, fixing the ViP 922, etc. a TON of far more important matters than the old Native bit that in today's situation hardly anyone is going to notice even the slightest difference in REAL WORLD viewing.

Obviously it isn't something I would switch providers over. It isn't a huge deal to me but I saw the conversation and I am one of the people who prefers to pass native resolution. If they just made it an option that was off by default I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

I had native turned on with my direct receiver through my HT system and never once had it lose the signal. Even if that was happening it would be very simple to just turn native back off. Problem solved. If it was really such a bad way of doing things and caused nothing but problems for csr why would Directv leave it as an option on their receivers?

Again, it isn't my most sought after feature I was just agreeing with the OP that it is something I would like. I wont beg for it or switch providers if they don't offer it. I just don't think it would be the huge nightmare you all are making it out to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)