Please reply by conversation.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I need a DirecTV UHF remote control that will operate the H24 and HR24 remotely, before the receiver(s) have downloaded the latest software or are activated. It seems that the following remote requires you to access the system setup menu on the receiver before it will work: Amazon.com: One For All RC64RBK IRF/RF DIRECTV Backlit Universal Remote Control: Electronics

I'm trying to find a remote that will work the moment the receiver is turned on for the first time. Also, I need it to be very high powered, and able to penetrate many walls (so it can reach outside). It may be that no UHF remote will work, and I may need some kind of IR to UHF adapter unit installed in front of the receiver. If you know of such a device that doesn't need to be plugged into 120v (battery operated), that would be great. Otherwise, it's OK if it needs wall power. The plus side of having a device in front of the receiver is that it will work on ALL receiver models, not just that H24 and HR24.

I've found that if I don't specify my application, people will offer all kinds of solutions that make no sense despite my stated objective. I'm an installer, and I need to use a UHF remote to operate the receiver from outside the home at the satellite dish mounting location. (I specifically posed this question here, rather than the installers forum as I feel the answer doesn't require special installation related knowledge.)

Thanks!

All DirecTV boxes default to IR so there is no way they can work on RF "out of the box". You always need to go through setup before they are IR-controllable. So that limits you to operating the boxes in IR, and using an RF extender of some sort. As far as which RF extenders will work in your scenario, I can't really help, only to say that most of the consumer RF extenders are limited in their ability to penetrate multiple walls. And I suspect very few people will have tried the systems in the environment you are talking about.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)