NBA Game blackout on ESPN...why?

styxfix

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 7, 2003
Pacific Coast
It's not a big deal since I subscribe to my RSNs and can watch it there but why is Warriors game blackout on ESPN? I was able to watch them their last game which was at home on Friday on ESPN but can't tonight when they're on the road in Denver. Same with the ESPN app too. I thought the last NBA TV contract allowed me to see this game on ESPN.

It's not a big deal since I subscribe to my RSNs and can watch it there but why is Warriors game blackout on ESPN? I was able to watch them their last game which was at home on Friday on ESPN but can't tonight when they're on the road in Denver. Same with the ESPN app too. I thought the last NBA TV contract allowed me to see this game on ESPN.

This game was added beyond the normal ESPN schedule just a day or two ago. It is blacked out on ESPN in the two markets to protect the RSN's since it was originally meant to be an RSN game. It was added to the national schedule so anyone who is interested could watch to see if they can tie the record.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...n-adds-warriors-game-fox-sports-pearl-harbor/

Thanks for the info Zippyfrog. The game wasn't even on the EPG on ESPN earlier before the game started so I could not tell if it would be blackout.

As a general rule, if the basketball game is blacked out for you on ESPN then it is available somewhere else, normally the RSN for your market. When it is not blacked out on ESPN then your RSN is not carrying it. Baseball is similar though more complicated.

As a general rule, if the basketball game is blacked out for you on ESPN then it is available somewhere else, normally the RSN for your market. When it is not blacked out on ESPN then your RSN is not carrying it. Baseball is similar though more complicated.
All Warriors games are blacked out on CSN Bay Area in Sacramento because of the Kings territorial rights. This this game should have been available on ESPN in Sacramento.

You may be right, but it is also possible you were blacked out no matter where Sacramento was being shown that day especially since Directv also had it blacked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)