NBC - 105 NBC - 72 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I should mention, apropos of NBC on 103 Ku, that in case anyone doesn't know, the audio channels are nonstandard. They send Dolby 5.1, but instead of sending it as a normal 5.1 stream on one PID, they spread the channels out over three streams, arranged the same way they're arranged on the analog jacks of your computer, i.e., right and left on one, right and left surround on one, and center and subwoofer on one. The problem with this is that frequently the microphone placement will be such that the left and right channels won't pick up any of the dialog, only ambient sound, and the center channel will only pick up the dialog with very little other sound.

I should mention, apropos of NBC on 103 Ku, that in case anyone doesn't know, the audio channels are nonstandard. They send Dolby 5.1, but instead of sending it as a normal 5.1 stream on one PID, they spread the channels out over three streams, arranged the same way they're arranged on the analog jacks of your computer, i.e., right and left on one, right and left surround on one, and center and subwoofer on one. The problem with this is that frequently the microphone placement will be such that the left and right channels won't pick up any of the dialog, only ambient sound, and the center channel will only pick up the dialog with very little other sound.
That explains what I experienced Sunday night watching the game. I had background noise and no commentators. So is there a way to get proper audio on these channels? Whoops, I'm talking the S2 Feeds on 105W C-Band. But they probably do the same with the audio.

Last edited:
Is this true of the those on 72 or are they standard 5.1?

That explains what I experienced Sunday night watching the game. I had background noise and no commentators. So is there a way to get proper audio on these channels? Whoops, I'm talking the S2 Feeds on 105W C-Band. But they probably do the same with the audio.
Usually the best you can do, is cycle thru the audio PIDs on your remote, and see what suits you best.

Well, now I know my ears were not nuts with the odd audio on NBC 105. Good to know.
I was also lucky today to put up another dish that was used for 72. Dumb mans dish, already set up. Just had to wiggle it back and forth and finally found 72 and the NBC mux. What does that stand for> MUX: Men using xylophones?:rolleyes:
I think I am going to put my reasonable quality compass in a drawer and forget about using it to find sats. All info and the compass showed where 72 was. Right in the middle of a pine tree. Well when I got the Direcwav sat up and started in that tree and moved it to the West, 72 poped up! It was about 10 feet away from that tree in the clear. Dumb compass. Guess the best is to check where that line from dishpointer crosses my house and point for that spot. I can see now why the Dish installer stated he could not hit 61.5 from where I wanted the dish. Went to other side of driveway and did OK.
From what I have seen so far with NBC on 72, I will state 105 is better. It is in HD there.
Got one more to install but it is going to rain:( for a few days, so. . . .
That one will be interesting as the attempt will be for 103 Ku and the Huntington Pier. Wish someone would clean the lens on the North camera.

RT.

Well, now I know my ears were not nuts with the odd audio on NBC 105. Good to know.
I was also lucky today to put up another dish that was used for 72. Dumb mans dish, already set up. Just had to wiggle it back and forth and finally found 72 and the NBC mux. What does that stand for> MUX: Men using xylophones?:rolleyes:
I think I am going to put my reasonable quality compass in a drawer and forget about using it to find sats. All info and the compass showed where 72 was. Right in the middle of a pine tree. Well when I got the Direcwav sat up and started in that tree and moved it to the West, 72 poped up! It was about 10 feet away from that tree in the clear. Dumb compass. Guess the best is to check where that line from dishpointer crosses my house and point for that spot. I can see now why the Dish installer stated he could not hit 61.5 from where I wanted the dish. Went to other side of driveway and did OK.
From what I have seen so far with NBC on 72, I will state 105 is better. It is in HD there.
Got one more to install but it is going to rain:( for a few days, so. . . .
That one will be interesting as the attempt will be for 103 Ku and the Huntington Pier. Wish someone would clean the lens on the North camera.

RT.
MUX is short for Multiplex.

I think I am going to put my reasonable quality compass in a drawer and forget about using it to find sats. All info and the compass showed where 72 was. Right in the middle of a pine tree. Well when I got the Direcwav sat up and started in that tree and moved it to the West, 72 poped up! It was about 10 feet away from that tree in the clear. Dumb compass.

I had a heck of a time trying to find Hispasat last year with a fixed dish when I had my motorized dish in a spot that couldn't see it. I think the pole and dish were skewing the local magnetic field, although I suppose it's possible that whoever I used for calculations had an outdated magnetic variation table. (My motorized dish presented no such problem, because I happened to have a dish and motor whose elevation scales were pretty accurate, so I could just set the azimuth by eye and sweep til I found it pretty quickly.)

.....That one will be interesting as the attempt will be for 103 Ku and the Huntington Pier. Wish someone would clean the lens on the North camera.

RT.

The pier people must have heard me. I was looking at the South camera this evening and something passed by the camera. Then a big sponge hit the lens and a rag. Looks good. Went to the North view that was really dirty and at 8:08EDT the sponge hit the lense. Really looks good now. Talk about a random shot of catching the lense cleaning.

RT.

I was lucky enough to catch the same lens wiping ceremony last month and saw both N and S get cleaned. I just don't have the fancy sound on that channel yet.
Dishpointer works great for me as I have recognizable land marks in the near distance I can see, but not too close. 72w also has news feeds when ever some event is going on. I think it is worth a fixed dish on it. Ted that dish has the band stacked lnb, so when blind scanning the OpenBox will scan H first, when you get to 50% and v start poping in exit the scan as the remaining will all be duplicates. All of the true v ch's will be listed as H with higher than normal TP freqs. Fun!

Is this recent audio info or from awhile back. I remember that when we put new sat receivers in about 18 m ago I had to retune the audio on two audio freqs. And w/ that we were surprised that the 5.1 was being triggered at our homes by our A/V surround systems.

Yes, Jim, I realized that right after the first scan. And remembered you stated that fact. Dumped the dups and have a good list of channels now.
Time to add the good music to the pier.
Oh, I also found the pier on google earth. There is a picture file you can open there and look around the pier. That is if you have Google Earth installed.

Enjoy,

RT.

Is this recent audio info or from awhile back.

It's from a while back, I haven't checked it lately. I used to have a fixed dish at that location, but I'm all motorized now so the skew is off. I recently peaked the dish enough to get a lock on one of the muxes without changing the skew, but I haven't caught them airing any programming yet when I've been looking.

NBC on 72W is just stereo, no fancy Dolby numbers .:)

I get weak volume from 72 on openbox and nfusion.
Plus,most of the channels have been blank lately besides the evening feeds and maybe a little msnbc.
I'm still thinking of moving to abc news now,since the nbc mux is all I get on 72 (ku set up)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)