NBC Network Feeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK, I put up the dedicated dish, got it pointed and was able to get some of the NBC channels. I was able to get the three NBC's at 11760H transponder. However, I have had no luck with 11840H or 11881H. I've got very good signal strength and quality, but no such luck with these other two transponders. Have I missed anything? My offset is -2.0R, for my area. The other stuff up there is coming in just fine.

Last edited:
the basics

Tune in one of the weaker transponders . (lower Q)
Try adjusting the skew a little.
First clockwise, then counterclockwise.

Move the LNBF toward or away fron the dish a little at a time, if it can slide in its holder.

Maybe with experience, you might try elevation & azimuth again as well.
Only tune one thing at a time; peak it, then peak another variable.
I tend to get better as I cycle through all the steps three or four times.
Often, reliable reception can be the difference of just a few Q points. ;)

edit: how big a dish? what kind? etc.

Tune in one of the weaker transponders . (lower Q)
Try adjusting the skew a little.
First clockwise, then counterclockwise.

Move the LNBF toward or away fron the dish a little at a time, if it can slide in its holder.

Maybe with experience, you might try elevation & azimuth again as well.
Only tune one thing at a time; peak it, then peak another variable.
I tend to get better as I cycle through all the steps three or four times.
Often, reliable reception can be the difference of just a few Q points. ;)

edit: how big a dish? what kind? etc.

I'm using an old Starchoice Ku Band Dish, 32". I'm using the old L LNB, that was prevelent with Expressvu and Starchoice, back in the late 1990's. I've held on to allot of old dishes to play with, along side my C band Dish. I also use a 36" dish for the Luken channels, on 83w.

I'm using an old Starchoice Ku Band Dish, 32". I'm using the old L LNB, that was prevelent with Expressvu and Starchoice, back in the late 1990's. I've held on to allot of old dishes to play with, along side my C band Dish. I also use a 36" dish for the Luken channels, on 83w.

Is this dish round, or one of the elliptical ones ?
Are you using the original LNBF that came with the dish?

If it's elliptical, then setting it up on this skewed bird will be a major challenge.
See the recent 30 west thread for more info.
Of course, if this a round dish, carry on. ;)

It's one of the old round one's, with the old single LNB. These have been around, since the first DBS Canadian services, went into service. I even have an old Alphastar dish, to mess with too. I must have about 5 of the E Dishes, but they aren't really useable, because they're setup for a 4 degree split, for the two Anik Satellites and you'd need two other satellites, with the same skew, to be able to use it properly.

Just my two cents worth...it might be worth changing the lnb. They're inexpensive enough. Might make enough of a difference to lock them. I get them all with my old motorized primestar dish. I just switched out the old lnb.

Is this dish round, or one of the elliptical ones ?
Are you using the original LNBF that came with the dish?

If it's elliptical, then setting it up on this skewed bird will be a major challenge.
See the recent 30 west thread for more info.
Of course, if this a round dish, carry on. ;)

Anole,
Why is an elliptical dish not the best type of dish to use with this particular Sattelite to obtain those screwy NBC network feeds?..I have a Superdish, and would like to use it for that purpose do you think that I have no chance of getting those NBC Network feeds.

Thank You.

Read the discussion in the "30 w" thread.
For elliptical dishes, you MUST skew the dish to the orbital location!
On *some* elliptical dishes, you can NOT skew the LNB.
That is the basic conflict, and the problem with a Superadish.

Of course an exception is the Primestar/ChannelMaster/Andrew 84e.
It has independent LNB skew, where the vastly more common Star Choice, Dish Network, and DirecTV dishes don't.

How would I use the SuperDish?
You'd need to come up with a way to twist the LNB relative to the feedhorn, much like on an 84e.
Only method I'm picturing right now, would require a lathe. ;)

How would I use the SuperDish?
You'd need to come up with a way to twist the LNB relative to the feedhorn, much like on an 84e.
Only method I'm picturing right now, would require a lathe. ;)

Anole,

Thanks for your response.... I was thinking on putting and to use the Superdish specifically for those three TPs, use it as a dedicated dish. The Superdish is able to be skewed, therefore the LNBF will also be skew to the desired degrees. I should have been much cleared on my question.

With that said, is the "Superdish" good enough to receive those intended TPs, when the dish is skewed to the required degrees.

Thank You.

this is only a problem for elliptical dishes and matching feedhorns

The Superdish is able to be skewed, therefore the LNBF will also be skew to the desired degrees.
NO.

Please re-read post #30.

There is no exception to elliptical dishes needing to be skewed to the bird they are aimed at.
If the satellite is way east of you, the east side of the dish needs to be closer to the ground.
If the satellite is way west of you, the west side of the dish needs to be closer to the ground.

However, this odd bird needs different skew than what you get by skewing the dish.
So, now you must ALSO re-skew the LNB, too!

This is not a matter of adding the two skews together, as discussed in the "30 w" thread, mentioned above.
The dish must be skewed as shown by any satellite calculator for any other bird.
Then you have to come back and dial in the 26 degrees that the antenna is screwed up on the satellite.
There is no shortcut.

However, if you can manage to dial in the dish-skew, and the LNB-skew, I think a SuperDish should do a fine job !
Understand that I don't have that dish.
I do have some of the feedhorns and LNBs, but can't really prove what I think.
But, based on the dish size, I have confidence. ;)

SuperDish: 36"w X 20" h

I read somewhere that they may be replacing that quirky sat at 103w. That might correct the problem with the oddball skew. Rumour has it, that it would be the sat at 87w. Maybe it'll kill two birds with one stone here. If might allow for a stronger satellite, for 87w, fixing the Luken Mux and some of the other fluctuating transponders and then could be used for a more balanced 103w and better Ku reception of the NBC Feed Mux there.

103w ku has never been a problem for me.. signals coming just fine w/o tilting the LNB on my 1.2m

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)