NBC sports HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lowe41

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I was wondering if any one else is experiencing problems with NBC sports HD, in particular there football coverage. I have a 5 LNB dish with a H20-600. While watching preseason games last weekend and this weekend there was a lot of pixelation, tiling and blocking etc.. it even blacks out for a couple seconds at a time and the sound is intermittent. I am getting this from my local NBC station in Atlanta. While this is going on, the other local HD channels are good and the national HD channels are good. I don't I would imagine the problem is from NBC's feed but its hard to imagine there feed being so bad? It may be the signal from my local NBC station?? Who knows? any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Even though I didnot get pixelization, black outs. I did have blurry then it would go clear, and blurry again. This was OTA through a Dish 622.

Well, I am glad you posted here. I was begining to think my equipment was getting bad again. Hopefully one of the experts here knows something about this or at least confirms that it may be NBC's signal. I am watching it from satellite not OTA on WXIA Atlanta.

Last edited:
I didn't have any issues with the game last night.

I'm using OTA straight to my Sony 50" HDTV with built in tuner though.

Metro Detroit btw.

I watched the game last night via OTA and there was pixelation during fast motion. Hopefully NBC can get these issues resolved before the season starts. CBS also broadcasts at 1080i and they don't have pixelation problems, so football at 1080i and looking great is possible.

It's fact that NBC has the worst HD signal known to man. And to make it worse, most local affiliates have at least 1-2 subchannels which starve that 1080i signal to death. Then put that up on satellite where it gets compressed and you're looking at even more trouble.

Most likely it's your local NBC, not Dish or DirecTV. Check it out OT and see for yourself. Garbage in, garbage out.

bonscott87 said:
It's fact that NBC has the worst HD signal known to man. And to make it worse, most local affiliates have at least 1-2 subchannels which starve that 1080i signal to death. Then put that up on satellite where it gets compressed and you're looking at even more trouble.

Most likely it's your local NBC, not Dish or DirecTV. Check it out OT and see for yourself. Garbage in, garbage out.

I think the problem is at all 3 levels.

1. NBC encoders seem to be having problems especially after the play on close up of players jogging to the sidelines. The game action looks pretty good.
2. The local affiliates, youre right, at least one subchannel isnt helping anything
3. Then putting it on satellite. That degrades any channel further. But in D*'s defense number 1 and 2 are screwing it up even before they get it.

The real funny part is that this is a vast improvement over notre Dame HD football broadcasts last year. That was pure sh*t. IMO

Last edited:
As I recall, didn't NBC have the same problems during Notre Dame football last year? If so, it's not a good sign that they've made no progress since last fall. Let's hope they straighten things out before the start of the regular season.

Sure hope they fix it...Why did CBS and NBC go 1080i instead of 720p if they were going to broadcast sports with fast motion like, say, any of them????

mcaldero said:
As I recall, didn't NBC have the same problems during Notre Dame football last year? If so, it's not a good sign that they've made no progress since last fall. Let's hope they straighten things out before the start of the regular season.

It was far worse IMO.

Thank you all for all your responses, its nice to know I am not the only one and its not my equipment. Do you think and email to local NBC station would make a difference?? and do you think NBC know just how bad this is, and maybe fix it??

Thanks again, looks like I'll be watching Sunday night football on SD

you gotta complain to NBC, they haven't figured out how to do HD Sports, I wish the NFL stuck with CBS and ABC :(

vurbano said:
I think the problem is at all 3 levels.

1. NBC encoders seem to be having problems especially after the play on close up of players jogging to the sidelines. The game action looks pretty good.
2. The local affiliates, youre right, at least one subchannel isnt helping anything
3. Then putting it on satellite. That degrades any channel further. But in D*'s defense number 1 and 2 are screwing it up even before they get it.

The real funny part is that this is a vast improvement over notre Dame HD football broadcasts last year. That was pure sh*t. IMO

I totally agree with you. D* certainly is having issues with some MPEG4 locals but it's made much worse with problems 1 and 2. My NBC OTA is so soft and full of breakups I'm not sure I even want to see it on sat. :no

toy4two said:
you gotta complain to NBC, they haven't figured out how to do HD Sports, I wish the NFL stuck with CBS and ABC :(

Yeah, I wish it was only CBS and ABC, but oh well. I think you are correct about emailing or complaining to NBC directly. Last night their was a Falcons game on HD (locals in Atlanta) and it was perfect. I guess its just the national feeds?? Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks

Also, who do I call at DTV to get info on pricing etc on one of the new HR20's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts