NBC To Wrestle for Saturday-Night Ratings

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
NBC is turning to an old ally--pro wrestling--to try and pump up its Saturday-night ratings. The network said Wednesday it will air Saturday Night’s Main Event, a two-hour special featuring World Wrestling Entertainment action, March 18 at 8 p.m.

Main Event

returns to NBC after a 13-year hiatus, before which it was a Saturday late-night show from 1985-92, when it would periodically replace Saturday Night Live reruns.

The show aired during one of the halcyon periods for Vince McMahon’s World Wrestling Federation, when wrestlers such as Hulk Hogan and music stars like Cyndi Lauper tag-teamed to put pro wrestling in the pop culture ether.

The special comes in the same year that NBC Universal’s USA Network wrestled back rights to the WWE’s Monday Night Raw franchise. If NBC is satisfied with the ratings, the network may air another WWE special over the summer.

But NBC will hope the show has better success than its last Saturday-night venture with Vince McMahon, the failed XFL football league in 2001.

Main Event

will also look to build on the prime time success of UPN’s Friday Night Smackdown, which should be a contender to make the new CW schedule in the fall.

In a press release, NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly called the special "a genuine opportunity to do some real business in Saturday-night prime time."

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6309546.html?display=Breaking+News

It will be interesting to see how this shapes up.

I am not expecting much. I am wondering if any talent from Smackdown will be on. I don't know if there are any restrictions from Smackdown Superstars appearing on another network since they have a TV contract with UPN.

What I would like to see is a cross promotion deal, that would develop storylines between the RAW and Smackdown. If that doesn't happen, its just gonna be another RAW which doesn't excite me too much.

I would love to see Bobo Brazil battle it out with The Sheik, Sailor Art Thomas take on Dick the Bruiser, and Haystacks Calhoun in a grudge match with Killer Kowalski. Er, I guess I haven't been watching much professional wrestling the past three decades or so...:eek:

here is their chance to do high def. i believe they already have the cameras, now they have a channel that can display it. keep your fingers crossed.

korsjs said:
here is their chance to do high def. i believe they already have the cameras, now they have a channel that can display it. keep your fingers crossed.

Excellent point!!

riffjim4069 said:
I would love to see Bobo Brazil battle it out with The Sheik, Sailor Art Thomas take on Dick the Bruiser, and Haystacks Calhoun in a grudge match with Killer Kowalski. Er, I guess I haven't been watching much professional wrestling the past three decades or so...:eek:

You been watching the Fight Network lately? :)

Most of those have been on "Wrestling at the Chase" (St Louis promotion back in the day) recently

Whatcha Gonna Do Brother when Hulk Hogan and his daughter Brooke run wild on you???

Yes the Hulkster and his daughter are going to be on SNME

Chado said:
It will be interesting to see how this shapes up.

I am not expecting much. I am wondering if any talent from Smackdown will be on. I don't know if there are any restrictions from Smackdown Superstars appearing on another network since they have a TV contract with UPN.

What I would like to see is a cross promotion deal, that would develop storylines between the RAW and Smackdown. If that doesn't happen, its just gonna be another RAW which doesn't excite me too much.

The WWE manages to move wrestlers among the three "Circuits" pretty freely. I don't think that there will be a problem.

does anyone really beliee that there is such a thing as "Smackdown Guys"

There are guys who mainly are on Raw and guys who mainly are on Smackdown. They use to "trade" guys freely but now its pretty much set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)