NBC's Fault? Then explain this!

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
I am in the Atlanta area which is, according to this designated as NBC HD Olympics eligible area.
Now, I have Voom and Dish STB. I can watch Olympics in HD on Dish (on two channels) but not on Voom?! WTF?

well you are either in an O&O, or dish has made a mistake? I dont know, call Voom. Or enjoy it on Dish. But all this complaining about not getting a distant network feed when not in an O&O is getting old fast.

Well look at all the posts and threads here and AVS,a lot of people are getting it via D* and E* and not V*,here in Detroit(non O & O)it is on D* and E* and not V*.

vurbano said:
well you are either in an O&O, or dish has made a mistake? I dont know, call Voom. Or enjoy it on Dish. But all this complaining about not getting a distant network feed when not in an O&O is getting old fast.

Vurbano I agreee with you almost everytime you post something, but, the reason some of us don't get voom's feeds are due to the deal they negotiated. I have heard it from their very mouths 3 seperate people 2 different days

I'm wondering if the satellite providers didn't have to get waivers from each individual local NBC station to broadcast Olympics HD in each market. NBC could provide a blanket waiver for all O&O's, but some of the other differences in coverage area may be due to locals providing waivers to some providers, but not others. Obviously, D* and E* would be better established with the local stations since they actually rebroadcast locals.

I have no factual evidence to back this up, but it could be that some local stations have issues with Cablevision and are happily making CVC pay by not granting VOOM permission to broadcast the Olympics in HD.

Don't know the exact details of the deal that V* made with NBC. But V* should have made the same deal like E* or D*. It was a mistake that V* did not do the same deal. There maybe restrictions which I am not aware of or something but if V* is going to compete with E* or D* they need to match at least what E* or D* are doing for the Olympics.

It was good that V* provided LIVE HD coverage of the openning ceremony (which D* or E* did not do) but this is not enough. Not trying to blame V* totally but NBC and their stupidity needs to be blame as well. NBC WAKE UP IT IS 2004; YOU NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB.

I cannot believe that there are people still defending NBC for their ignorance in handling this whole event. It has become a fiasco, to say the least.

NBC did ask the FCC for a waiver in behalf of all affiliates on June 30th and the FCC granted it totally for all affiliates,. not just O&O. So get the O&O thing out of your minds. It was not a factor. here the NBC affiliate is not even sending the special special feed on their OTA digital. They totally missed the boat and I don't know how. I called and the manager called me back shouting and upset and wanted to know what I was talking about. "Special feed? What special feed?" She even called the chief engineer into the conversation and he had no freaking idea. She asked me to send the VOOM letter and anything else I found. I found a lot and sent it to her. She should see it tomorrow.

HAhaha a NBC station that has no clue about the HD feed.. that's funny. Is anyone getting the Olympics in HD and SD via cable, my friend was that I spoke too who has Comcast is only getting the HD feed as I am.

Also the 1 day delay in the HD is a scam. They are airing the EXACT same camera shots in HD the next day. Looks like they film the whole thing with HD cameras down-converted, why? Because they have more commercial sponsors for SD? Then they re-air it in HD the next day. NBC is all kinds of screwed up with their views on HD/SD.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
Vurbano I agreee with you almost everytime you post something, but, the reason some of us don't get voom's feeds are due to the deal they negotiated. I have heard it from their very mouths 3 seperate people 2 different days
Yeah and I can pick up the phone and get indications that INHD is coming from 3 different CSRs too. Even if Voom did negotiate an inferior deal. BIG FKN DEAL. Get over it. But I no one thing. The affiliates in this area will take a gunshot wound before allowing a distant feed in here. They wouldnt do it for the superbowl and they wont for the Olympics either.

Sean Mota said:
Don't know the exact details of the deal that V* made with NBC. But V* should have made the same deal like E* or D*. It was a mistake that V* did not do the same deal. There maybe restrictions which I am not aware of or something but if V* is going to compete with E* or D* they need to match at least what E* or D* are doing for the Olympics.

It was good that V* provided LIVE HD coverage of the openning ceremony (which D* or E* did not do) but this is not enough. Not trying to blame V* totally but NBC and their stupidity needs to be blame as well. NBC WAKE UP IT IS 2004; YOU NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB.

I cannot believe that there are people still defending NBC for their ignorance in handling this whole event. It has become a fiasco, to say the least.
Amen brother

Are you guys checking out E*'s feed? I've said it on a different thread but it bears repeating, I was seeing macro-blocking on Telemundo, CNBC, and MSNBC events in SD! I tune to it at home on Voom and the SD is flawless, there is macroblocking in HD but it's also there on OTA. Also I don't know if Voom is pulling bandwidth to show the Olympics in pristine quality, because I was getting macroblocking on HBO/Cinemax this weekend.

However, my local NBC station has no substation so I would think they are transmitting their OTA at 19.x mbps and it still suffers from pixelation. I think if CBS or ABC would have handled the Olympics it would have been kick ass.

I am noticing the HD feed is not the same as the SD feed. Obviously, the commentators are not the same. You won't see Bob Costas on the HD feed. Also the HD feed is showing competition, not fluff stories. Yeah, the HD feed is 24 hours behind. I don't care. I'd rather watch it in HD and not have to deal with all the commercials and fluff.

NBC is RIDICULOUS

I've got to say, this whole NBC thing is about the most ridiculous thing I've been involved with as far as tv goes...ever!!! I mean come on, why on earth would they NOT allow someone to watch the Olympics live. Alright, I may be able to rationalize their decision not to allow people to watch them live in HD (even THAT is a stretch), but to not allow us AT ALL is just outrageous!!!

I don't care who's fault it is, it certainly has a LOT to do with NBC and the idiots who run the show there. All I know is I cannot watch the Olympics live and I cannot, for the life of me, fathom why anyone would come up with a hairbrianed ide like this!

The Rickster

vurbano said:
Yeah and I can pick up the phone and get indications that INHD is coming from 3 different CSRs too. Even if Voom did negotiate an inferior deal. BIG FKN DEAL. Get over it. But I no one thing. The affiliates in this area will take a gunshot wound before allowing a distant feed in here. They wouldnt do it for the superbowl and they wont for the Olympics either.

So you agree when Sean tells you basically what I have have said but I get a "get over it " and he gets an "amen brother"lol I agree with him too. Is it so hard to believe then did an different deal than D or dish? They have nowhere the clout as either of them. I am not condemning Voom for that, I am condemning them for the fact I was told one thing repeadtedly via reps and wwebsite (hell even posts here and avs boards) then come to find out it is not true at the 11th hour. Same crap as the NFL Voom start date which really pissed me off much more than the frigg'n OLY.

I'm talking about the camera shots, yes they are narrated by different commentators, but the shots are the exact same. I watched the synchronized men's diving competition in SD and HD they are the exact same shots, except the HD feed shows I think 2 or 3 other countries the SD didn't (they didn't win anyway). Also the HD doesn't cut to commercials and corny stories on how a certain diver at age 14 stubbed his toe and managed to move on be an Olympic gold medalist hopeful.

So instead of that we get to see more "behind the scenes" footage of swimmers, and divers preparing for the event. Seeing the NBC "Live" event is moot, they show the EXACT same thing the next day in HD, and more of it. However my wife's coworker's son is on the USA Swim team and we were supposed to check out his debute at 5pm EST on Saturday (in any case we never saw him, don't know why yet). THen I saw the exact same thing minus the cycling highlights they were showing throughout Saturday's broadcast on Sunday. Thorpe's and Phelps race, the men's qualifying gymnastics everything.

After Saturday I have no interest in the SD feed, if I don't need to see it, the soccer/basketball games would be nice to watch in SD, but I guess NBC has deemed them "Not Popular Enough" for HD, loons! Even with the occasional pixelation, the sound is fantastic and you get a sense of "I'm there!" with the stadium announcers voices in the background, you can sometimes here other gymnists competing or catch them in the background. Very cool.

Team USA basketball lost! What a gyp! Softball USA Women's are going to take gold, and I think Team USA Women's soccer will too.

What I wanted to know when I started this topic is whether Voom broadcasts HD Olympics in the exact same areas as Dish. Live HD coverage is off topic.
Why Voom wouldn't put on their web site all eligible areas for HD feed, just as Dish did? That would clear up a lot of confusion here.

I thought they put up a web address where you can plug in your address and it tells you just that!

Madtown HD Junkie said:
So you agree when Sean tells you basically what I have have said but I get a "get over it " and he gets an "amen brother"lol I agree with him too. Is it so hard to believe then did an different deal than D or dish? They have nowhere the clout as either of them. I am not condemning Voom for that, I am condemning them for the fact I was told one thing repeadtedly via reps and wwebsite (hell even posts here and avs boards) then come to find out it is not true at the 11th hour. Same crap as the NFL Voom start date which really pissed me off much more than the frigg'n OLY.
The AMen was to Sean that the fault lies with NBC. The presentation sucks. The different deals suck.(if thats the case). The 24 hour loop delay sucks. The incessant sony commercial sucks. The one common thread/party is................ NBC. But isnt it time to get over it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)