NBR Dish Pass - Something Interesting

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
When I setup my 522 to do a Dish Pass to record "Highway to Heaven" last month with Dish Pass where I have it record all shows with that exact title I noticed that it would start one minute early before the marathon and end three minutes late each day. For example: the marathon starts at 8:00 PM but the first show records one minute early at 7:59 PM. The show at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00 does not start one minute early but the show that is at 11:00 ends three minutes late at 12:03 AM. This reminds me of the other shows that starts one minute early and three minutes late. It must be detecting that the show is airing consecutively and does not want to jeopardize other timers or its own show by starting each show 1 minute early and ending 3 minutes late. The timer is smarter than what I thought they were. I was not sure if anybody else had caught this or not.

Um, it has nothing to do with Dish Pass... :) When you set a timer you can go to options and set it to start early and or end late. It defaults to 1 min early and 3 min late.

The primary reason for this is that they are 'consecutive timers'.

Regardless of program name/channel/time. If they are on the same channel right after one another, it throws out the 1 minute early, 3 minutes late for ALL programs in between the start and end of your recorded event block.

Your tuner/DVR can't overlap the same streams to different DVR events, so the 1/3 cushion is truncated.

Example: STARGATE SG-1 on Sci-fi monday 5 to 10 PM. The first one will start at 4:59 and the rest will start on the hour exactly and the last one will end at 10:03.

Just as your Highway-2-Heaven marathon did. :cool:

I have noticed that I often get different tuners even when taping two half hour episodes on the same channel following one another (with a M-F setting). I can't remember now if this was for the same show, or just two I wanted in a row. I would rather it use a single timer for that.

Brad

andrews777 said:
I have noticed that I often get different tuners even when taping two half hour episodes on the same channel following one another (with a M-F setting). I can't remember now if this was for the same show, or just two I wanted in a row. I would rather it use a single timer for that.

Brad
I have noticed this, too. My (untested) theory is that DishPass will set up consecutive timers on the same tuner, ignoring the 1 befor 3 after, but a regular timer set for all episodes cannot seem to figure this out and uses both tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)