NBR, still waiting patiently

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
earth
as you know all of us 5xx series dvrers are still waiting for nbr, if this plan does ever come to fruition

I would in turn expect nbr operations to be possible on the 721/921 platform as well

some may not want nbr at all but i think its better than nothing

so if you can do it for the 5xx, do it for 721/921 as well

It's not gonna happen...just as much as the damn USB ports will never be working. As long as that stays that way, I ain't gonna buy a pocket dish either.
Could have made receivers cheaper. if they had left the USB interface off, because there was no inention to ever use it in the first place.
They will not do your NBR, because there's no financial benefit for E*. So why bother...

E has a long history of promised features never arriving or being deleted along the way:(

721 internet service, and games on the 7100 / 7200.
Certinally there are more examples.......

We will probably see a conversion to MPEG-4 first before they would end up putting NBR on 501/508/510. 721/921 will NEVER see it.

Just a word to the wise. Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. Dish is notorious for creating more problems with their updates than they are worth. I speak from experience with my receivers. Anyway I think Dish is more concerned with mpeg4 and their upcoming new receivers than to update the existing 501's, 508's, and 510 receivers with nbr.

This is why they probably have not released NBR for them yet (or at all). They are probably still having problems with the beta version or they would have released it by now.

They will probably offer us 501/508 users a REALLY great deal to switch over to a 622 instead of making our DVRs work properly. That way they get more MPEG2 receivers off the street and get more DVR fees.

dlsnyder said:
They will probably offer us 501/508 users a REALLY great deal to switch over to a 622 instead of making our DVRs work properly. That way they get more MPEG2 receivers off the street and get more DVR fees.
Dont hold your breath. if they arent willing to take care of us HD DVR owners, why do you think they would start replacing SD receivers?

dlsnyder said:

what are you smoking?

StevenD said:
Dont hold your breath. if they arent willing to take care of us HD DVR owners, why do you think they would start replacing SD receivers?

Let's see. Work a deal for an SD subscriber and get him to add HD programming and also fork over some cash OR work a deal for an existing HD subscriber and ... oh yeah, they're already subscribing.:)

Didn't they offer deals on the 501/508 to 7100/7200 owners so they could try to get those out of the system? A case could possibly be made that Dish may have even tried to "sabotage" those receivers in later software revisions. Having never owned one though I can't say how useful they are today. The day is coming, perhaps within the next 5 years, that Dish will want to shut down MPEG2 and make all streams MPEG4. Leasing receivers rather than selling them removes one obstacle to any future sweeping system upgrades. It also makes Dish more like the cable company, but that is a whole other argument.

Long memory

I remember the Charlie Chat Jan. 2005, Charlie saying that we would have NBR on 5xx series before the end of Feb. 2005. Then it was moved to spring, then summer, then fall, then before the end of the year. At this point I just want an honest date or to be told the truth. I beta test software all the time for different companies, I understand problems but this is unbelievable.
:eek:

I finally got NBR. Sold my Dish equipment and now have 4 DirecTV Tivos. I preferred the package I had with Dish (RF Remotes, Supers and Sirius), but I'd had enough with waiting on NBR, reboots and was pushed over the edge when I couldn't get an HD DVR for less than $599. Overall, I'm happier with my new setup. Just wish all receivers could have RF remotes. I had a very nice setup with basically a head-end in the den that fed the entire house with 2 UHF modulators. Just couldn't handle the PQ on my new Plasma set and have to have a DVR. I may have bit on the 942 if I could get the 250 lease deal.. They wouldn't offer me that until after I quit their service. Retention would have worked if they could have made a decent offer before I signed a two year contract with d*. If you really want NBR, you'd better get on to your next move. With E*'s lease deals starting 2/1 and D* goin lease only after 3/1, time is running out on your choices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts