NBR... upgrade or switch?

rdharper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Hi;

Do any of the Dish DVR's have NBR that works reasonably well?

If so, how do they compare to Directv's (for NBR quality).

I have had two 510's forever... they work well, but I'm going to get NBR now, one way or the other... so tell me what you know.

Richard Harper
Morgan Hill, Ca

Last edited:
625, 622 both have NBR which works well.. I think the 522 does to, but I would have to check mine out.. I don't use my 522 much except when I have guest over. And then it's them that see's it and not me.. I don't give up my 622 to anyone.

625, 622 both have NBR which works well.. I think the 522 does to, but I would have to check mine out.. I don't use my 522 much except when I have guest over. And then it's them that see's it and not me.. I don't give up my 622 to anyone.

Thanks Mark... sounds like it is safe to say that all DVR's starting with 622 have NBR. Which would include the latest 722? if I remember the number correctly.

Maybe I'll stick with dish. I've had good luck with them. Sounds like the 722 will replace the two 510's with added function, and no down side. And maybe NBR that actually works.

721 does not have it. :( It was once planned, but that went away.

Neither does my 508.

But both these receivers (& all 5xx, 921, 942 & 4 digit models) probably only have another couple of years of life in them, as MPEG-4 spreads.

I'd suggest you wait a month, till when they presumably have cleared out the ViP622s, and upgrade to a ViP722.

On edit: On second thought, since you aren't upgrading from another HD receiver, I think you can now specify the ViP722 and that is what you'll get. The ViP622s might only be going out to folks under an HD to HD upgrade program. Not sure, though.

Last edited:
Having used DVRs from day one, including a TiVo for several years, I can tell you that no NBR works reasonably well.

It's not due to the software, it's due to the listings.

For example, on Fox Soccer Channel, they started showing a new half hour magazine program called Premier League World. It is a weekly program, and they show it about 8 times every week.

The problem is that the listings for that show don't give episode numbers, or episode dates, or any other indication that it is a weekly show.

The other problem is that since Fox Soccer Channel has lots of live sports, they also have lots of programs that end up running late. Then the following programs are all delayed 10 or 20 minutes.

So, I basically have to record all 8 showings of the program every week to be sure that one of the 8 timers will actually capture the full 30 minutes.

That's just an example. (Other "fun" ones are when the listings person puts the wrong program title and so the DVR doesn't record the show - true life example, btw.)

There are certainly some advantages to NBR, but you still have to constantly check your schedule, and you are still going to miss stuff (see the ranting and raving about this in various TiVo Forums).

Dish's implementation of NBR is about as good as any (to answer your original question), and I'd rather have a 722 than any other DVR right now. (And you know that you will need to subscribe to HD to get one, right?)

Thanks Kstuart, you answered a lot of my questions.

No I didn't know I had to upgrade to HD to get the 722.

I asked all the questions I could think of in a different thread, but you've answered most of them.

I well understand that NBR is not a trivial problem. Which is why I've asked the questions. I suppose you can't do a TBR as an option, as opposed to only the NBR. Would be a good option. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear your comment about the 722. I'll just have to upgrade to HD. (dang) :)

i dont think E*'s NBR is very good. sure wish it was an 'active' search. i.e. type 'FR' and it begins building a list of things that start with 'FR', and that you could select from a list before you even finish typing 'Friends'.

also wish we could specify the specific channels we want to search...as most times i am only interested in a show on a very specific channel. the way it currently works, i often get way too many results.

Yes, you can do TBR. I do it all the time for OTA.

Thanks... I'm convinced. Better record options than the 5xx series.

Now if we could just get those guide generators to provide more and better info so that the programmers could take better advantage. :)

Once nice thing about the 622 is that it corrects for live sporting events. I.e. If you schedule a football game that shows 3 hours in the guide, it will automatically record for 4 hours, assuming that the game will go over the alloted time. It appears to do this for all live sporting events.

Once nice thing about the 622 is that it corrects for live sporting events. I.e. If you schedule a football game that shows 3 hours in the guide, it will automatically record for 4 hours, assuming that the game will go over the alloted time. It appears to do this for all live sporting events.

Very cool. Haven't we all missed the ending once and awhile. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts