Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050805/ap_on_sp_co_ne/ncaa_indian_nicknames

**RANT ON**
Stuff like this really pisses me off. So because a few people don’t like the term Indians or Warriors they have to whine until they get their way and get it changed.

When I graduated from high school in 1993 we were known as the Indians. Well, some “sensitive” group got all mad and made us change it. What bugged a lot of people is there is an Indian Reservation next to Shakopee (where I graduated). Mystic Lake is there. The tribe APPROVED of the school keeping the name Indians, but they had to change it due to pressure. I still walk around proud saying “I am proud to be part of the last class of the Indians” (and no I am not a Native American)

Funny part is for probably 5-6 years when they sang the fight song, there is a part when you spell out the team and the people spelling out I-N-D-I-A-N-S outnumber (outcheer) the people spelling out the new name (which I refuse to say). Sometimes they still outnumber them

OK rant off :D

We had that happen in a town near us, in Frisco. For the longest their mascot was known as the Coons. They had to change that to Raccoons a couple of years ago.

Neutron said:
We had that happen in a town near us, in Frisco. For the longest their mascot was known as the Coons. They had to change that to Raccoons a couple of years ago.

Why was there mascot not a racoon before?

There are way more important things to worry about then school mascots.

Back when I was in scouting still, my troop went to a weekend jamboree where a group of Native Americans, dressed in traditional garb, put on a demonstration. At the beginning, the leader of the group gave us a lecture that "We are not called indians. We are Native Americans. Indians are from India." Ok, whatever. It wasn't 5 minutes later that he said something like "Traditional indian dance...". Apparently he didn't listen to himself.

I am still pissed they got rid of Chief Illiniwek!!! Give me a break!! I am with ya Berg, it just pisses me off!!

the seminole indian tribe here in FL said it SUPPORTS FL State using the name seminole. i guess it all depends on the tribe.

These PC morons don't realize that by schools dropping the names they are, in effect, relegating these tribes to obscurity. Eastern Michigan used to be the Hurons, named after the Huron Indian tribe. Their proximity to the epicenter of political correctness (Ann Arbor) forced them to change their name to Easgles or some other crap.

Thing is the 6,000 students a year entering EMU learned about the Huron Indians, took pride in being associated with them. Now 15 years after the PC crowd changed the name I'd bet not more than 100 students could tell you about the Huron Indians, they think Huron is just the name of a river.

Pathetic.

cdru said:
Back when I was in scouting still, my troop went to a weekend jamboree where a group of Native Americans, dressed in traditional garb, put on a demonstration. At the beginning, the leader of the group gave us a lecture that "We are not called indians. We are Native Americans. Indians are from India." Ok, whatever. It wasn't 5 minutes later that he said something like "Traditional indian dance...". Apparently he didn't listen to himself.

2 thoughts on this

-the owner of the company I work for is Indian (from India)

-my buddy is real big on this PC crap too. The one day we were talking about something and the word "Indians" was brought up and he says "Its Native Americans" and I said "no, Its Indians" and he got all mad.

I said "Doug, when we graduated we weren't known as the Shakopee Native Americans were we? No. We were the Shakopee Indians"

btw: the city Shakopee was named after a Indian chief (I think) :)

I'm sure that far less than 10% of the population is offended by this stuff, and that's fine if they want to be offended, but since when did we become a country ruled by the minority? When the heck did this happen? It's happening everywhere you turn. 100 morons are offended, so 10 million people have to change their ways, that is idiotic.

It's so stupid, you don't hear about real Cowboys being offended by the Dallas Cowboys name, they're proud. Packers fans are proud to be Cheeseheads. I am not offended by the Minnesota Vikings, my ancestors are Norweigan, I think it's cool.

I'm waiting for P.E.T.A. to get offended by animal names being used in sports, such as the Eagles, Falcons, Panthers, Bears...etc
I can hear them now "It's cruel to name a violent sports team after a peaceful animal animal"

Eventually all teams will have PC names,
The Atlanta "Georgians"
The Florida "South Floridians"
The Boston "New Englanders"
The New York "Northerners"

I love how St John's (the redmen, now red storm (?) ) is lumped into these arguments. Considering their first mascot had NOTHING to do with an indian/native american/etc. Fantastically lame.

Columbus Georgia's former Southern League AA baseball squad went through this some years back. They were the Columbus Indians and had to change to Columbus Redstyx.... This sort of thing is not new in the southland....

shugo77 said:
I'm sure that far less than 10% of the population is offended by this stuff, and that's fine if they want to be offended, but since when did we become a country ruled by the minority? When the heck did this happen? It's happening everywhere you turn. 100 morons are offended, so 10 million people have to change their ways, that is idiotic.

It's so stupid, you don't hear about real Cowboys being offended by the Dallas Cowboys name, they're proud. Packers fans are proud to be Cheeseheads. I am not offended by the Minnesota Vikings, my ancestors are Norweigan, I think it's cool.

I'm waiting for P.E.T.A. to get offended by animal names being used in sports, such as the Eagles, Falcons, Panthers, Bears...etc
I can hear them now "It's cruel to name a violent sports team after a peaceful animal animal"

Eventually all teams will have PC names,
The Atlanta "Georgians"
The Florida "South Floridians"
The Boston "New Englanders"
The New York "Northerners"

Regardless of what name they might would change a team in New York too.... They'll always be "them Damn Yankees" to me........

Over the weekend, I was able to pick up a couple newspapers on the way to my uncles. Newspapers are getting into this.

St Cloud Times refuses to call North Dakota the "Fighting Sioux". They had a little thing that said "The St Cloud Times refers to North Dakota as "Sioux"

Fargo paper was much better. Everyone is PISSED about this. If you don't know, when The Sioux got their new hockey arena, Ralph Englestad (who basically gave the finger to anyone who argued against changing the name), paid for the stadium on the grounds they won't change the name.

NCAA says if you want to host post season, you have to cover it up.....um Ralph made sure they didnt forget the mascot. They have 3000 Sioux logos in the stadium. Good luck hiding them :)

Exploring the ridiculousness of nicknames
--------------------

Mike Bianchi
SPORTS COMMENTARY

August 10, 2005

Now that the NCAA is in the business of legislating against "hostile and abusive" nicknames, let them not stop with American Indians.

Let all of us have our say before the NCAA Can of Worms Committee.

And so . . .

- I am an animal lover and am offended by South Carolina's nickname of Gamecocks -- an obvious endorsement of the grotesque sport of cockfighting. For the NCAA to give its tacit approval to an activity in which proud and beautiful birds are bred for the purpose of mutilating and killing each other for human entertainment is appalling.

- I am an advocate of gun control and I want the NCAA to explain why it allows Gettysburg College to use the nickname "Bullets." With nearly 30,000 gun-related deaths in America every year, isn't this the most "hostile and abusive" nickname of all?

- I am a victim of Hurricane Charley and demand that the NCAA forbid Miami from ever again using its "Hurricanes" nickname. To extol the virtues of natural disasters that have caused devastation and death and cost our state billions of dollars is inexcusable.

- I am an African-American and I am outraged by Ole Miss' nickname of Rebels, which is a clear glorification of the South's fight to preserve state rights and slavery in the Civil War.

- I am a Christian woman and I am insulted by the plethora of satanic nicknames such as the Duke Blue Devils and Northwestern State Demons. For the NCAA to endorse the work of The Dark Prince himself -- the enemy of God and all of mankind -- is an assault on America as a Christian nation.

- I am a Muslim man and I am offended by Holy Cross's nickname -- the Crusaders. Thousands of my ancestors died during the Crusades, including thousands of captives slaughtered in cold blood by Richard the Lionhearted in 1191.

- I am a devout Hindu and am starting a petition to ban the nickname of the South Florida Bulls. The cow is a sacred animal in my religion and to caricature it as some sort of loony, ridiculous mascot is an insult to the 1.1 billion Hindus worldwide.

- I am a peaceable pacifist from Dublin and I am disgusted by Notre Dame's stereotypical portrayal of the "Fighting" Irish as a bunch of rowdy, drunken barroom brawlers.

- I am a snakebite victim and cannot believe the NCAA allows Florida A&M and Florida Southern to use two deadly snakes -- Rattlers and Moccasins -- as their nicknames. Poisonous snakes bite more than 8,000 Americans each year, and rattlers and moccasins are among the most dangerous.

- I am of Roman descent and I am offended by Southern Cal's mascot, The Trojan Horse, which, according to ancient history, the Greeks used to massacre thousands of my ancestors in the bygone city of Troy.

- I am a reformed alcoholic and would like to lodge a complaint against Vassar College calling itself the "Brewers." Binge drinking in college is an epidemic, with one study reporting that alcohol is a factor in 1,400 student deaths each year. For the NCAA to allow a nickname so closely associated to beer-making is criminal.

- I am not a spokesperson for any group; I'm just a frightened citizen of a violent world. Which is why I'm writing to complain about the nickname of the Ithaca College Bombers. In this day and age of suicide terrorists, isn't "Bombers" an affront to all of us and much more "hostile and abusive" than Florida State paying homage to an Indian tribe?

Political correctness gone mad is the only way I know how to describe this mess. Ridiculous waste of time and resources. !protest

Good for you Iceberg for speaking out on this! :clap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)