NCAA Football 2014 season

Because 1 not all conferences have them, 2 by the end of the year you have a ranking system updated every week, either it's right or it's not. You either have a ranking system or you have an NFL type system with no rankings. In the case of the later you would need conference championships. As far as 16 teams goes there really is not time for it, the schools already protest 8.

Say what? How can they protest something they haven't got?

Say what? How can they protest something they haven't got?

School presidents have snubbed adding extra games for years......until $ comes into play.
I can remember when 10 and 11 games were played and no conference championship. Now 15 games wins the golden prize.
4 team playoff will be short lived (3-5 years) due to the snub of leaving one or two conferences champions out every year. Power 5 Conference commissioners won't have it. We've already heard From ACC commish about adding teams.
I do like the fact by adding teams there will be less layoff time. (Who the hell plays to get to a final and wait 30-40 days to play the game!)
The other stupid thing is get rid of these neutral sites. Who can afford to go back to back travel! Play home to highest seeds (they've earned it) then play champ at neutral site.

We've already heard From ACC commish about adding teams.
ACC and SEC both wanted a full playoff with a minimum 8 teams for years. It was the Big Ten, Pac 12, and Big 12 that have been against a playoff, and why we had to settle with just a plus 1. And the only reason they went along with that is they all got left out the last 2 times.

The SEC & ACC have been consistent in wanting at least 8, no matter if it's benefited them or not.

Reactions: Mike0616
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fisher-winston-official-contact-nonissue-235300882--ncaaf.html

Fisher said part of the confusion stemmed from the additional official the ACC added this year. Center judge Michael Webster stood behind Florida State's center trying to hold up the play to allow Boston College to substitute players. The coach said they aren't used to an official being in that spot.
Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher disagrees with a call in the second half of an NCAA college fo …
''He never had an official be there before,'' Fisher said. ''It's always standing over the ball. I know that sounds crazy, but it's the truth. ... He didn't push. You can see him, he's trying to get his shoulder in there to get in there and get the ball. It had never happened to us before.

It is one thing to stand behind and support your players, but Fishers blindness when it comes to Winston is ridiculous.

Don't worry, after long careful discussions, fsu will suspend Winston from pitching in a baseball game that we wasn't scheduled to start in anyway. ;)

On a serious note, if the official himself didn't flag it, then I'd have to side on the no call.

Personally, I think the official did not flag it because of who it was (and a few other reasons) rather than there was no reason to.

I don't agree.
Wouldn't the official flagged him because of who it was??

The 8th official job is to allow for substitute. That's all.
I've seen play clock get to almost 0 when these officials are used.
What happens when play clock gets to 0? He is waiting on defensive personal change.

I don't agree.
Wouldn't the official flagged him because of who it was??

Just my unsubstantiated conspiracy theory. Perhaps, and again I am just thinking outloud here with nothing to back it up, the ACC knows that they NEED FSU in this playoff, and knowing that want to give Winston as wide a berth as possible. I mean we have seen certain players in the past get away with more than (in our eyes) others do. Even see it with certain teams.

Bama gets accused of having this favoritism all the time.
Just using it the other way around for once. :D

Make losses mean less and you lose what's special about Saturday's seeing young men playing their hearts out because every game, every week means everything. Not so in the NFL, but not just for that reason. A lot of them couldn't give a rats a@@ as long as they get paid. I honestly would rather watch a Saturday of SEC match ups than the NFL

Haven't watched a down of the NFL all season and don't miss it a bit.

BTW, re: playoffs: Why not have an 8-team playoff involving the champions of the current Big Five and three wild cards: the chanpions of the other six FBS conferences? Those would be decided by a selection committee.

BTW, re: playoffs: Why not have an 8-team playoff involving the champions of the current Big Five and three wild cards: the chanpions of the other six FBS conferences? Those would be decided by a selection committee.

Do you mean the power five conf champs and the wild cards being from the conf champs of the other 6 conferences only?
If so, I would not agree with that as all conferences are not equal by any means. The champ of Conf USA, even if it were an undefeated team like Marshall should not get in over a (hypothetical) one loss SEC (or other power five) Miss State, using this year as an example.

If we went to 8 and they did the power five conf champs get in automatically, id say let the wild cards come from anywhere. If it happens to be a champ of a lesser conf on a year that they deserve to be there so be it. If it happens to be 3 teams from a single conference, so be it.

If we went to 8 and they did the power five conf champs get in automatically, id say let the wild cards come from anywhere. If it happens to be a champ of a lesser conf on a year that they deserve to be there so be it. If it happens to be 3 teams from a single conference, so be it.

Yep.
I think that will be the direction we are headed.

Reactions: mccoyrj
Bama gets accused of having this favoritism all the time.
Just using it the other way around for once. :D
Not only Alabama, SEC refs have a reputatation (admittantly deserved) of protecting their undefeated teams from back during Florida's glory days. LSU got many a favorable call during their title runs as well.

Other conferences aren't innocent either.

Reactions: oldengineer
I've always said make it 16, with all the conference champions getting in, and the 6 at-large slots going to the best non-champions or independents. That eliminates any rightful bitching & moaning.

A caveat being that any new conferences do not get auto-slots, only the existing ones would be grandfather to that. This would prevent the current ones splitting into 2 to get 2 bids.

Not only Alabama, SEC refs have a reputatation (admittantly deserved) of protecting their undefeated teams from back during Florida's glory days. LSU got many a favorable call during their title runs as well.

Other conferences aren't innocent either.

I though I took that black helicopter license away from you:)

Reactions: mccoyrj and Ronnie-
I've always said make it 16, with all the conference champions getting in, and the 6 at-large slots going to the best non-champions or independents. That eliminates any rightful bitching & moaning.

It will simply move it down the line IMO. Rightful bitching and moaning is different for everyone.
I think most years outside of the top 4 any bitching and moaning is just that. Some say at 8. You say at 16.

Then I want Bama to jump to the Sun Belt, get out of this buzz saw of the SEC and call it a day.

I just think 16 is far too many for several reasons, and IF they did that, id rather do power conf champs if you must, then the next highest remaining ranked teams using a BCS type formula.

I have little interest in watching a Ga State or Southern get slaughtered in a sacrificial game to make it "all fair"

If we are going to have a playoff, lets let the best teams play.

I have little interest in watching a Ga State or Southern get slaughtered in a sacrificial game to make it "all fair".
Or the likes of Utah by Alabama, oh wait...

As far as Ga Southern, didn't they beat an SEC team last year? Came close to beating a couple of ACC ones this year as well.

And didn't the mighty Duke get taken down my lowly Mercer in the Basketball tourney this past year?

Yes, upsets happen, but the reason people continue to bring up the Utah game and the Ga Southern games is because they are so rare, that even 5-6 years later they stand outside of the norm.

You know as well as I that the sun belt / Conf USA/ AAC/ ect would regularly get routed by their vastly superior opponents. It would 9/10 be the equivalent of watching this past weekends slate of OOC SEC games.

For the basketball comparison. Totally different game. It is as relevant as comparing an upset in Chess IMO.