Nebraska and the Big 10 Network on Dish after July 1

Nebugeater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
In doing a search I see this have been mentioned a few places but not with any detail. As many know, the Nebraska Cornhuskers are joining the Big 10. The official date as I understand is on July 1, 2011.

Dish Network carries the Big 10 Network and is part of the core offerings in states within the Big 10 footprint. Outside of that footprint it is available in the Multi Sports package. What I would assume is that after July 1 Nebraska would be considered part of this footprint and not be required to get the Multi Sports Package to get the Big 10 Network. What I have not had any luck finding is a statement from The Big 10 or from Dish Network that this is what will happen.

I did read on "opinion" that since Nebraska was not part of the footprint when the coverage contract with Dish was reached that they would not be added. I hope that is not the case. Has anyone seen an official statement from either Dish or the Big10 on this with Dish? If not does one of the official Dish reps that posts here and any factual info?

Be interesting to see in 5 years where the balance of the Big 12 teams are at. Hope it holds together for the Big12 but not sure I would be betting on it.

Probably nothing will be announced until baseball and golf are over and the CornNuts:D and Buffs have officially moved on to their greener pastures.

Remaining Big12 is more like "Texas and the Seven Dwarves." Texas seems to resent being stuck in the conference and I'm sure that Kansas, K-State, and Mizzou didn't appreciate paying a multi-million $$$ bribe to get Texas to stay. I suspect that the Big12 will be gone sooner rather than later.

I thought maybe the Dish subscribers in Nebraska would receive the Big 10 network as a RSN. Is this how the current member schools in the Big 10 receive the channel or do they have to subscribe to the Multi Sports pack?
Nebraska joins the Big 10 on July 1st. Go Big Red!

I did read on "opinion" that since Nebraska was not part of the footprint when the coverage contract with Dish was reached that they would not be added.
I don't think it's unrealistic to think that the contract didn't even consider changes like this. I imagine it's simply worded to include the states that are part of the Big10/12 and Nebraska needs to be added.

I'm hoping that it will be available to the local markets (it makes sense), but there hasn't been any official speculation as to what actually will happen.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the info we're looking for, but I imagine it won't be put out for awhile (probably July 2nd ;)).

Just about every cable company in Nebraska has had the Big Ten Network for months if not longer. Hoping it becomes one of the RSNs in July. That said, since I get Multi-Sport in the fall for NFL Red Zone anyway, I guess I should at least still be covered that way... but it shouldn't have to be normal practice in Nebraska for everyone to get Multi-Sport while the rest of the conference area gets it included.

If you only have the multi-sports package in order to get the Big 10 Network, you should be able to drop it and get just B10N as part of your standard package.

Any update from the Dish people here? I know there will probably not be until July 1 but checking anyway.

Looks like there is some hope - mentions good progress with Dish Network.

"We've been talking to distributors (in Nebraska) for many months now, since late last year," BTN President Mark Silverman said. "We've made a lot of good progress with Charter and with Cox and with Dish Network. We're already on DirecTV. To date, there's no progress with Time Warner. At this point, we're in those talks. It's the first week of June. We'll see how things progress."

Big Ten, NU encounter TV snag

Remaining Big12 is more like "Texas and the Seven Dwarves." Texas seems to resent being stuck in the conference and I'm sure that Kansas, K-State, and Mizzou didn't appreciate paying a multi-million $$$ bribe to get Texas to stay. I suspect that the Big12 will be gone sooner rather than later.

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. I don't think K-State or KU minds, they understand the economics of the situation.

Hall said:
If you only have the multi-sports package in order to get the Big 10 Network, you should be able to drop it and get just B10N as part of your standard package.

When you say standard package do you mean the top 200 package? Saying standard may throw some people off thinking its in the most basic package.

What certain areas ? Including Nebraska ? :D

In all seriousness, I was referring to the OP's situation. He's in a Big 10 state (now) and shouldn't need to subscribe to the multi-sports package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)