Nebraska and the Big 10 Network on Dish after July 1

All of these press-release miswordings begs the question:

Does the BTN show the same programming across the country, or is the programming regional? For instance, would viewers in OH see Penn State @ Ohio State on Dish channel 439 while at the same time viewers in NE would instead see Iowa @ Nebraska? And if that is the case, what would viewers in FL see?

Big 10 picks one game as the "main" game...that shows on 439 across the nation
Any other televised Big 10 game will be on the alternate

usually by Wednesday of the week the guide and the Big10 site has the channel assignments

All of these press-release miswordings begs the question:

Does the BTN show the same programming across the country, or is the programming regional? For instance, would viewers in OH see Penn State @ Ohio State on Dish channel 439 while at the same time viewers in NE would instead see Iowa @ Nebraska? And if that is the case, what would viewers in FL see?

When I had charter cable that is how it worked. We didn't get the alternate channels but if Michigan or Michigan State was on one of the alternates instead of the main channel they would just switch our cable system to the alternate but you had no choice of games. With Dish and Directv you get all the alternates so no matter where you live you can watch any of the games BTN is carrying that Saturday.

I added the Big Ten channel last season to watch Michigan State. As I remember only two of their games were on the Big Ten the rest were on ESPN or ABC.

The Big Ten Networks broadcasts the games that other networks choose not to pick up.

I added the Big Ten channel last season to watch Michigan State. As I remember only two of their games were on the Big Ten the rest were on ESPN or ABC.

The Big Ten Networks broadcasts the games that other networks choose not to pick up.

Yeah they don't get the best games during football season but if you live in a Big Ten state its great to have if you get it free anyways. If you are a real fan of one of the teams you pretty much know you will get to see every one of their games during the season. The hardcore fans don't want to miss a single game no matter who it is against.

To me the real value of the BTN comes during college basketball season though. Before the BTN we used to get 1 or maybe 2 Michigan State games a week and you were lucky to get even 1 Michigan game per week. It basically had to be a nationally televised game on ESPN or CBS. Since the BTN and its alternates came out you get practically every regular season basketball game from both teams.

I am a big fan of the BTN during the Fall and Winter but I have no use for it during the spring and summer.

Living in FL, I think a lot of times the B10 game I wanted to see was blacked out if it was on one of their alternate channels, probably because it was offered on ESPN directly (or ESPN Gameplan, which I had to pay extra for). But I'm guessing if I'm in a B10 state for the team that is playing, it wouldn't be blacked out. I'll have to pay more attention this season to what/if games get blacked out and why/when.

Living in FL, I think a lot of times the B10 game I wanted to see was blacked out if it was on one of their alternate channels, probably because it was offered on ESPN directly (or ESPN Gameplan, which I had to pay extra for). But I'm guessing if I'm in a B10 state for the team that is playing, it wouldn't be blacked out. I'll have to pay more attention this season to what/if games get blacked out and why/when.

I don't think I've ever had a game blacked out on BTN or any of their alternates. I might be wrong but I don't ever remember seeing a game listed on both BTN and any of the ESPN channels at the same time. I think you must not have access to whichever channel you were trying to watch because you don't get BTN in FL unless you subscribe to the sports package. If that's the case it wasn't a blackout you just don't subscribe to the channel.

I don't think I've ever had a game blacked out on BTN or any of their alternates. I might be wrong but I don't ever remember seeing a game listed on both BTN and any of the ESPN channels at the same time. I think you must not have access to whichever channel you were trying to watch because you don't get BTN in FL unless you subscribe to the sports package. If that's the case it wasn't a blackout you just don't subscribe to the channel.
I have the sports package and have had B10 Network here in FL since it was first available on Dish. Like I said, my memory may be failing, so I'll pay closer attention and post updates on my findings.

What's funny is the Big 10 Network would have "exclusive" rights to 1-2 Ohio St games that weren't available during the dispute B10N and Time Warner had and the newspapers would run stories about "where will you watch the OSU game ?" or "here's what bars/restaurants will be showing the game".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)